Author Topic: Methods for new traceurs?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Assassino

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Methods for new traceurs?
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »
Ok
I'm looking to try and get people interested in parkour
problem is that no one ever seems interested enough to commit to it or even give it a chance
I'm beginning to think that it may be due to my unconventional methods.

I'm merely asking if anyone on the forum has any ideas I can try

~Shane of aiea

Offline Tim Brown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I LOVE TO FLY
    • View Profile
Re: Methods for new traceurs?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:50:32 AM »
Just start showing of in front of them do some flips or something cool

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Tim, no offense bro. But that is not really the best way. Ill give you an answer to this soon. I gotta jet.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline baki20xx

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Balance in all things is key.
    • View Profile
    • My Parkour.com URL
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:10:28 AM »
The best way that I've found for helping someone get into any physical thing (from weightlifting to parkour to sports) is to give them a taste of it and let them in on the benefits of the training and fitness aspects, without boring them to death with details. In the end, you'll only be able to recruit people that really want it anyway. Some people just aren't ready for things like parkour, others don't have any desire to do anything physical at all. You can't force people, but you can give them the tools to make a more educated decision.

There is also a different approach depending if it's a male or a female. This isn't always true for every man and every woman and I don't mean to sound steriotypical but, most men want to see and do the big jumps and grabs that require a large amount of strength and will be more drawn into the discipline with the fitness benefits of strength, real world application, and versatility, where as women generally like the more gracefull aspects of parkour and will be more drawn into the discipline with the fitness benefits of a more slender and lithe body.

These are just some things that I've noticed from spending around 10 years in the physical fitness business. There is no perfect way to make people want to do things. In the end, there are those who do, those who teach, and those who watch.

It'll be interesting to see what some others say also. Hope this helps.
-Blake

"In Omnia Paratus"

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »
Ok
I'm looking to try and get people interested in parkour
problem is that no one ever seems interested enough to commit to it or even give it a chance
I'm beginning to think that it may be due to my unconventional methods.

I'm merely asking if anyone on the forum has any ideas I can try

~Shane of aiea

Umm, question...

What are these "unconventional methods" you mention?

Things like head locks and arm bars, while a good way to force someone to do something, might not be effective in the long run.  ;D
"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Assassino

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:02:57 PM »
Umm, question...

What are these "unconventional methods" you mention?

Things like head locks and arm bars, while a good way to force someone to do something, might not be effective in the long run.  ;D

nooooooo
all I really do is try to explain the major concept of parkour which is efficient movement using various motions
quite frankly I think it just overwhelmes or confuses people

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:58:06 AM »
That was a terrible first post lol.

Damn. Baki had everything i planned on saying, but in a better way.

Unconventional? for you maybe. Maybeyou just dont explain it well or dont come across as serious. How hard to understand is
"A-B as fast/efficient as possible. Keps. Lets go condition" not put you down or anything. But maybe your over explaining parkour, in all actuality its not the hardest thing to understand(nor explain). I just explained it to my friends little brothers in like 11 words. They had the basic idea, and really thats all they need. Once they know what it is(in general) they themselves would make the decision as whether or not to continue. At that point i would have taken them outside and took them through the lightest of the light warm ups(there only between ages 7-10). If they didnt even want to do that, there obviously not commited enough. If they did however, i would have taken them through some basic techniques, landings,roll, simple vaults. All in all what im trying to say is. Depending on how they first react. Take them step by step through a learning process. Observe their reactions, take note of them. You lead the way, its up to them whether or not to follow.

Like he said. In the end there will be people who will to learn, and those who wont. I leave it up to you to discern the difference.

*half ass post. its 11:00 and i havent had my protein.
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?