Author Topic: Realisation  (Read 4607 times)

Offline RhayneD

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Realisation
« on: November 26, 2005, 06:31:08 PM »
I figured here would be the best place to get advice about PK, fear, new places, and meeting new people. So, if anyone is willing to help I'm looking for advice...

Today, I met up with two fellow PK enthusiast. I thought to myself all week, "Yeah, I'll meet up with others that enjoy PK and love to train as well. It'll be great!" We met and set out to PK in the surrounding area. Well, we (or should I say 'they') started out with a few roof drops which is something I haven't trained yet. They seemed pretty keen and well trained on them. So, we moved to another area (actually,we were ran off by the owners of the roof lol. Mob-looking blokes they were). Anywho, we moved on to a playground where I had a couple realisations of sorts. It was really rather cold, and even though I layered up, I was freezing even after a warm-up. This caused my muscles to feel quite tight; something that I never felt before. I also realised that I have a lot more fear than I ever thought before. It kept me from really doing anything. I tried a couple underbars and a few vaults, but I kept thinking how I had never trained here before and everything seemed so much higher. Fear basically took over my mind and body unlike any fear I've felt with PK before. I was also very uncomfortable. Overall, I felt like an arse and like I wasted their time all together.

My question is this, has anyone else experienced anything like this. It was almost as if my brain totally forgot the things I have trained alone, locked up completely and the cold just made it worse. Any advice out there?

Thanks in advance.
"Definition is not the grand path. It is understanding that is the true destination." -RGM.
"Forget blood. Parkour runs through MY veins." -RGM

Gearsighted

Re: Realisation
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »
Yeah, it's funny how the mind works, huh? It's easy to take something simple and relatively inconsequential and let it fester and create a broad-sweeping negativity. Sometimes it helps to be able to anchor your mentality to a postive image or thought that you can quickly recall and bring to the surface through mindfulness of your breath. Another thing that really helps is training the ability to sense rising tension (whether physical, mental or both) and apply relaxation techniques on the fly to prevent it becoming a paralyzing problem. Remember that when you go out and train, you are working much more than just your physical potential. If you perhaps gained some insight as to certain environments and events that could easily become catalysts for a self-defeating mental-state, then you might have progressed in a far greater way than you are giving yourself credit. Now, you can take this experience and learn methods to prevent it in the future. Here are just a couple of resources along the lines of mindful relaxation and its ability to positively affect performance:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/relax.htm

http://www.mindtools.com/stress/PerformanceStress/StressIntro.htm

Also, here's an excellent book that I picked up a year or two ago, which goes into mental-training aspects to all different facets of performance:

Thinking Body, Dancing Mind

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to hit me up on AIM if you have any more questions, I might be able to dig up some more specific concepts and ideas :D

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 08:47:42 PM »
Did you say you didn't know them? The lack of familiarity could be a HUGE trigger for self-consciousness when trying to perform. If you get to know the people that you might be training with regularly, you might have a much easier time focussing on the training and improvements instead of what they are doing compared to what they are doing. My first jam was a full-on, "lets try and wow everyone," in-your-face attempt...... that crashed and burned. I tried really hard to fit in and mimic what others were doing, and i ended up doing a half-gainer on to my neck from height. (gear, you know the story, right? hehe)
Either way, as i got to know the regulars, i became more comfortable, and was able to practice the things that I needed to practice before i was at their level. You're obviously very comfortable with yourself, you train so efficiently alone. Its like public speaking, its easy as hell to give a speech to 15 people you know closely than it is to give to 15 strangers.

And if the cold weather is affecting your muscles, a gym jam might be in favor  ;D

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 11:25:14 PM »
That's all completely normal, i know those of you who know me of course see me as the coolest person probably ever and most likely think i have no fear due to the fact that i can catch bullets with my eyelids and breakdance fight pirates for fun, but it's actually not true. Fear happens to everyone at some point, there is some point where mentally you're just not prepared for what is in front of you, no matter how much you've trained, no matter how many times you've done it. Your mind is what allows you to do the things you do, it gives you the confidence to perform the movements necissary to do the complicated techniques we do. If you think about it, somethign as simple as a side vault can be broken down to millions of tiny individual pieces that all require thought and control, there are also an equal number of way to make a mistake while doing it. Our mind asses these possiblities and makes a decision based on these facts as to whether or not we can do it, fear comes in to play when our mind says to us: "Hey, you may be good...but you're not that good, wait a few weeks before you try that." But what some people forget is that the tiniest thing can throw off a person's idea of possibilities. The easiest example is this, say you're at a jam doing a turn vault, you jump over your foot slips, you bash your shin, fall down, etc. You get up and move on but later on you go to do a turn vault and suddenly you notice your steps are off, the ground is slippery from rain, peopel are watching you, your leg is tight, then you crash into the rail never even attempting the vault. When you become afraid you begin to forus on all the things that say you shouldn't do this. The best advice i can give, being someone who is constantly finding themselves considering whether or not you can do something is to train. Training alows us to try things at our own pace and in our own way and once you become comfortable with the moves you can do them, if you become afraid of a move it's okay because you just keep on training and you'll never stop doing it, you jsut keep honing in your moves, making them better, and avoiding mistakes more and more often, getting comfortable doign them and more confident in your abilities. The more consistent you are the more likely you are to be able to overcome fear and be abel to perform any move you are comfortable with anytime anywhere.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 06:12:16 AM »
the fact that i can catch bullets with my eyelids and breakdance fight pirates for fun
LOL frosti, I love you.

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 07:08:33 AM »
I don't remember something like this happening to me. It may be because I'm very comfortable around new people.

Anyway, when I'm training or at a jam, and I got to do a technique, I go into a sort of "zone" where I'm focusing fully on my path, in spite of what's going on around me and who's watching me.

Also, in this intense zone, a bit of adrenaline (epinephrine) is released, which helps my body forget about less vital things, such as temperature, hunger and social awkwardness. When I say a little, I mean not as much as would be released in a panic, which could be detrimental to technique, and could end up with me getting injured.

A little graph for managing adrenaline:

Sorry if this is too far off topic, and I hope it helps someone!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 07:11:41 AM by Pistolwhip »

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 07:16:13 PM »
focussing

Skipper comes straight from the hood, word :]
Being familiar with the people you're training with definitely helps. And if social akwardness [as Asa put it :] is the case, remember that they're there for the same reason you are, to train and have fun! It's not about how good you are in relation to other people, it's about how well you push and train yourself! And that's the great thing about pretty much every person I've met through parkour, the mass amount respect [or restec-p for you Ali G fans] and friendliness!

Offline DerikVem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
write an essay on my hobby reading for class 7
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:12:30 AM »
Travis O'Connor from Carrollton was looking for write an essay on my hobby reading for class 7

Marques James found the answer to a search query write an essay on my hobby reading for class 7

write an essay on my hobby reading for class 7

narrative essay about yourself example workhow many words is a 2 page essay double spaced essayessay on republic day in hindi 200 words linesessay writing service in india labour laws, write an essay about your town100 college essay writing jobs glasgow. 100 word essay on jesus christ quotes essay bahasa inggris 100 kata yang sering digunakan di indonesia, write an essay on my hobby reading for class 7 1500 words essay use jal swachh bharat abhiyan in hindi.
200 word essay on circumcision year100 words essay my best friend dream jobessay writing service spanish for nursing. 200 words essay on how i spent my summer vacation year 1 essay writing certificate lines border topics for 100 word essay quotes.
100 writing prompts expository. how to write college essay fast if your re boring, 14th amendment essay us history definition booklethow to write narrative essay about my life day at secondary school. 100 college essay prompt challenge 2 page essay questions macbeth act 1 scene 1!
how to write a formal essay letter of complaint to an employer write essays for money, how to write a college application essay that stands out mean? 100 word essay about internet on leadership, how to write a 10 page research paper in one day onlyessay writing about my favourite food eggscorrect way to write a college essay about yourself examples.
100 college application essay topics reviewwhat to write my personal essay on withoutenglish 100 essay example air pollution14th amendment essay obergefell xp. 150 words descriptive essay gst 1500 word essay breakdown equals how many pages double spaced. 100 words essay on lal bahadur shastri party, write an essay on my hobby reading for class 7 toy story 2 page essay topics.
writing essay about myself example month. essay writing service coupon grad school write my paper for me 100 words essay about love family in hindi10000 words essay journey by train 500 mb.
14th amendment essay japanese internment camps year 10 page essay question cbse class 12 biology 2014 download, short essay about food summer vacation for class 2 in english2 page essay format week calendar 20182 page essay question pdf ed. best essay writing service yahoo answers may 2018, 100 word essay in spanish india gate.
200 words essay about myself respect - custom essay writing. write an essay on my hobby reading for class 7 and 123 essay online library, 100 college essay review services job.
1 page essay word count in hindi. 101 persuasive essay outline classification, descriptive essay topics, 100 words essay about love abdul kalam in hindi 500000