Author Topic: Lets go to Maui discussion  (Read 13901 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Lets go to Maui discussion
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »
Easiest way to do Maui is by areas: For ease, I'll just call them North, South, West, central, and upcountry.

NORTH: Paia, Ho'okipa surf spot, Haiku, road to Hana, any of the falls along the way [Twin Falls, Blue Pool, etc], Waianapanapa State park [caves, black beach, legal camping], Hana [Hasegawa's store, red sand beach tho the footing is a little treacherous at places], Kipahulu [Ohe'o Gulch/ 7 Sacred Pools for easy to moderately strenuous hikes [on path], also legal camping]

EAST: Many rental car companies will not let you drive past Kipahulu. That's why no listing for East. Drive far enough [around island] and you'll get to upcountry. The road to Hana used to be a hell drive. It's still twisty, and 1 lane in places, but road quality is much better. I think they have guard rails now. The road past Kipahulu was repaved and restriped by drunk people. It's twisty, hot, dry, with little to see. There is 1 store, no gas station. Little margin for error. I know people who drive to Kaupo to spear fish ulua. I don't have that kind of free time.

UPCOUNTRY: This is different than Oahu. You can reach upcountry from Haiku, Paia, or Central [or driving around back side of Haleakala] You can drive almost all the way to the summit. Entry fee for Haleakala Park is also good for Kipahulu [and vice versa]. Sunrise is COLD and can be very windy. Even in July. There is a visitor center, camping and hiking at Hosmer Grove, legal camping at various sites in the crater. There is water, but it's not potable.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 04:48:25 PM »
Other possibilities for Upcountry - I used to go Poilpoli. Legal camping there... I haven't been there since big fire many years ago. Redwood forest [non-native], a series of linked trails, including one [or 2] that go up to the summit area. Other attractions: supposed to be a zip line up there, Tedeschi winery [free samples], I'm sure I'm missing stuff.

WEST: Petroglyphs at Oluwalu if they weren't damaged by latest 6000+ acre fire. Lahaina [Huge banyan tree, tourists, ways to separate $ from tourists] Plenty of surf and dive sites along the way. Maybe Nakalele Blowhole if you feel like driving up that far. Again, rental companies may not let you drive much further than that. If there's another highway closure, that's the only way out, tho.

CENTRAL: Kepaniwai for some Lorin Ball inspired free running. Then drive further into Iao Valley for some easy [paved path] to insane level hiking. It's really up to you. There's plenty to do/ see close to parking lot.
  Wailuku has some spots to jump. It seems the more people, the faster you get kicked out. Wailuku and Kahului have most of the stores, restaurants, etc.
  Pu'unene for exploring WW2 airfield and other semi-abandoned sites

SOUTH: Once you get to Charley Young, all the beaches are nice to great. Past the resorts in Wailea, things start to get a little wilder again - but rich people have been building houses in Makena, and "No Camping" signs are popping up in places I used to camp. There are some nice snorkel and dive sites. Lava field. LaPerrousse Bay is the end of the road, but there's hiking [for miles and miles but no water]

turtlekarma

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »
sounds cool gregg

what about July 25th-29th?  Gregg?  Ozzi?  Derek?  Everyone else?

August I'm going to try go burning man and COPK jam so not much time there. 

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 10:19:01 AM »
We have a seminar starting July 27. I would probably be able to hang with you Sunday afternoon and part of Monday, tho. There's plenty to do here. Just depends where you want to spend your time.

turtlekarma

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »
so before the 27th then? 

22nd-26th of july?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 01:52:24 AM »
Doesnt sound to bad of a date. Might be able to.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 01:10:09 AM »
New dates...lets get a head count going here?  Official head count so we can start planning things we wanna do, so let me know if you're a maybe or whatever and we'll try to work out some kind of plan with gregg and the maui guys on stuff can do.  Here's my flight info

Departing Flight 

Hawaiian Coach  $57.99
Oahu - Honolulu (HNL) to Maui - Kahului (OGG)  FLIGHT:HA116    
Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:55 AM–8:32 AM
Nonstop

Return Flight

Hawaiian Coach $58.00
Maui - Kahului (OGG) to Oahu - Honolulu (HNL)  FLIGHT:HA133   
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:00 AM–9:34 AM
Nonstop

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 01:26:59 AM »

I'm still a high probably.  It depends on

1) My recovery, I'm not suppose to be walking without my crutches till friday ( I stopped using them 14days after my injury( oops)). But I will find out if will even be capable of running ( VERY SHORT DISTANCES)  when I go to my physical therapy appointment on friday.
2) what the physical therapist says my limitations are.
3) whether or not you guys put out a solid itinerary
4) What I think my limitations are, and If your itinerary fits.

I probably wont buy the tickets until the 20th.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 11:10:24 AM »
Hmm, I teach every day of the week. Not sure if I can make it that long.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
For sake of argument, let's say you can comfortably walk a mile on slightly uneven terrain, and after a rest, walk a mile back.

Itinerary is going to depend on planned camping location, and will also affect plans for the previous and following day. Full moon is July 25 so you should have good moonlight for any night activities.

THU 22: Arrive, get rental car, buy supplies. Enjoy Maui
FRI 23: SAT 24: SUN 25: MON 26: Enjoy Maui
TUE 27: Return rental car, fly home.

Drive to Hana, stopping along the way for falls, or swimming, Hana red sand beach, Waianapanapa caves, Hasegawa store.
CAMP @ KIPAHULU. Hike up to 200' falls. [Possible hike to 400' falls] Hang out at lower falls, cliff jumping as needed.

Upcountry: CAMP @ HOSMER GROVE. It puts you IN Haleakala Park, and gives you options for late night or early morning hiking.

The problems are the OTHER nights. I'm not sure where you can camp without a hassle. I know a lot of people used to camp/ fish SOUTH at LaPerousse Bay. I hope that's still a decent S side camping area.

I don't know WEST side spots at all. Lot of surfers set up tents by Papalaua, but I don't know if they camp there, or just use them for shade during the day.

CENTRAL the guide mentions Kanaha Beach Park as legal camping [$3/ person for permit]. At least it's close to the airport.

turtlekarma

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »
thinking of some minor changes to that itinerary...but for the most part that sounds cool gregg

Um buying tickets now so, let me know who else is coming so can talk about if we want to rent a car and share or huff it on the bus?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
It's your trip. You SHOULD adjust it. ;D
Some people get bored of Haleakala summit in an hour. Others could spend days up there.
Some people love to hang out at the beach. Other people like shopping.
It's all just options.

turtlekarma

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »
It's your trip. You SHOULD adjust it. ;D
Some people get bored of Haleakala summit in an hour. Others could spend days up there.
Some people love to hang out at the beach. Other people like shopping.
It's all just options.

lol I'm sorry if that came out wrong, but I meant that I had some other things I wanted to try besides your suggestions.  BY the way thank you for taking the time to suggest some things for me/us to do....I appreciate the input.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 01:04:50 PM »
Seriously, no offense taken.

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 12:03:30 AM »

My best bud growing up just informed me he moved his wedding up to the 6th of aug.  I really don't think I can afford to go to maui and to Cali less then a 2 weeks apart.  It Might be possible but im probably down to a 40% yes now.

Good news is the doc said I should be able to pick up a light jog by the 20th.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »
Good news about light jogging.
40% is still way better odds than the lottery.

turtlekarma

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2010, 01:47:11 AM »
sell your body derek...I'm sure could get some quick cash...nah, but hope you can come.

turtlekarma

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 01:21:18 AM »
no body else going maui?   :-\

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »
still undecided, but a few Q?s'  you taking your girlfriend along? and are you renting a car? its HELL OF ALOT CHEAPER if your older than 25.

I walked a mile one way yesterday.. and I wasnt happy about the results 

turtlekarma

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
no girlfriend isn't coming, and yeah probably going to rent car.