Author Topic: My Diet: 5,000 calories 230 grams of protein  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
My Diet: 5,000 calories 230 grams of protein
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »
Oh yeah, and I'm a vegetarian.  (No, I don't care about animals, and I have no religion.  It is simply my choice and I'm not changing it even though I know that something like paleo would be a better option than vegetarian)

Here is what I will be following for a few weeks to gain significant weight (I'm currently 135lbs...up from 125lbs two weeks ago, goal is 155-160lbs). 
As for exercise I'll be using starting strength, parkour, breaking, mma, and distance running/cycling (Around 2-4hrs+ per day, 5-6 days per week)  Limited exercise for the first week or two just so I can put on pounds.  I'll burn off the fat soon enough.

2 L  (Half Gallon) 3.25% Milk       1200   64
2 Servings Cereal                500   12
2 Clif Bars                        500   24
2 Bananas                        200   2
4 Pieces of Bread                350   16
5 Cheese Sticks                300   30
1 Serving Pasta                400   12
1 Serving Nuts                300   10
1 Gatorade                        150   0
1 Organic Frozen Meal        300   16
5 tbsp Nut butter                450   15
4 Eggs                        300   24

1-2 servings vegetables with every meal
2 other fruit servings
Water obviously also

I'll be slowly lowering my cal and protein intake and replacing some of the dairy and grains with beans, nuts, seeds, etc.  I will still need a lot of calories though because of my intensive training regimen.

I'm looking for advice as to what out of my current diet above I should be replacing soon and what good things (besides meat :P )  I should be adding in the near future.  As well as any comments or other suggestions (I'm not going to eat meat).

The cereal will definitely be out, as well as 1L of milk.

In as little as two weeks I'm going to go down to 4,000 cals.  A few weeks after that I'll be sticking around 3,000 cals, 100-140g protein.

I forgot to mention I've been following this for about a week and a half.  It's easy, and I still fit in parkour 2hrs, 5 times a week.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:14:19 PM by Ryan Drake »

WoodlandGhillie

Re: My Diet: 5,000 calories 230 grams of protein
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
I think I read somewhere that anything over 50 grams of protein has no more significant gain than someone who took in just 50.

Food for thought. (Btw, I was like WHOA! This dude eats a LOT! :P )

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »
haha yeah  ;D  I normally only ate around 1,800 per day but now that I'm working out a lot more I need the weight

The only thing I'm really focusing on is getting a calorie surplus.  The amount protein is just a result of the sheer amount of calories that I'm taking in.  And factoring in the lesser absorption rates of the veg foods I'm eating.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:38:15 PM »
The protein from the bread/bars/processed foods does not really count as protein. It is extremely poorly absorbed.

Only eggs, meat, fish, and partial from nuts/nut butters really give you appreciable amounts of protein.

Also, that's a lot of processed food.. mmm. Processed food is kcal dense so I guess it's easier to eat more. But yeah...

I think I read somewhere that anything over 50 grams of protein has no more significant gain than someone who took in just 50.

Food for thought. (Btw, I was like WHOA! This dude eats a LOT! :P )

Myth. Why would the body limit absorption of food in your gut?
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »
Myth. Why would the body limit absorption of food in your gut?

I think he means in terms of protein use for protein synthesis.  Because for the average person a little over 50g of protein is all that is needed (well, ignoring that there are different types).  Then again, we're athletes and not average, so I don't know how many grams we would typically need, it'd be hard to guess though with the wide variance of activity.  That said, protein the body doesn't use is converted into fat.  So I mean, taking in 350g of protein a day is useless because a large amount of that will be converted into fat.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
I think he means in terms of protein use for protein synthesis.  Because for the average person a little over 50g of protein is all that is needed (well, ignoring that there are different types).  Then again, we're athletes and not average, so I don't know how many grams we would typically need, it'd be hard to guess though with the wide variance of activity.  That said, protein the body doesn't use is converted into fat.  So I mean, taking in 350g of protein a day is useless because a large amount of that will be converted into fat.

Depends on the individual.

Some people I know need to go up to 1.5-2g of protein to start gaining muscle mass. This is rare.

Some people can eat almost no protein (vegetarians/vegans) and put on mass. This is extremely rare.

Everyone else falls in somewhere in the continuum. I'd go "normal" amount of protein 1g/lbs (eggs, meat, fish, dairy, whey/casein supplements only counts) and then if you're not gaining appreciable mass with strength/weight training then keep upping the protein until you do.

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 05:05:31 AM »
Everyone else falls in somewhere in the continuum. I'd go "normal" amount of protein 1g/lbs (eggs, meat, fish, dairy, whey/casein supplements only counts) and then if you're not gaining appreciable mass with strength/weight training then keep upping the protein until you do.

Dumb question.. are there calories in whey/casein supplements?
Dumb question #2.. I know the grains are crap, I just like my sandwhichs (and I don't know what else to put cheeses and nut butters on) xD  So I should be getting rid of grains and processed foods.  That will bring down my calorie count.  The bulk of my diet is going to be Eggs, Milk, Cheese, Clif Bars (70% organic, I can actually understand every single ingredient on there), Nuts, Beans, whey/casein supplements, no or very little soy, fruits and vegetables.  For a vegetarian diet, that seems fairly decent and balanced?  I might one day consider eating fish, but I'm not ready for that at this point. 

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:07:23 AM »
mmm fiiiish! i just caught and ate 3 croppy and 4 bass  ;D  you are missing out buddy.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 06:44:34 AM »
Dumb question.. are there calories in whey/casein supplements?
Dumb question #2.. I know the grains are crap, I just like my sandwhichs (and I don't know what else to put cheeses and nut butters on) xD  So I should be getting rid of grains and processed foods.  That will bring down my calorie count.  The bulk of my diet is going to be Eggs, Milk, Cheese, Clif Bars (70% organic, I can actually understand every single ingredient on there), Nuts, Beans, whey/casein supplements, no or very little soy, fruits and vegetables.  For a vegetarian diet, that seems fairly decent and balanced?  I might one day consider eating fish, but I'm not ready for that at this point. 

Vegetarian... wtf? Why?

Oh I read your OP........

1. Yes, whey/casein is protein. PRotein has calories.

2. Ehhh.... good luck with trying to put on a lot of muscle mass without meat or fish. You're either going to have to supplement protein or eat a crapload of dairy/eggs.

Unless you have good genetics for mass. I guess you'll find that out pretty quickly...

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 06:26:02 AM »

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 06:31:49 AM »
OP:

Why are you going to overload your eating then cut back so significantly?

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »
OP:

Why are you going to overload your eating then cut back so significantly?

I need to gain fast, for an mma competition this summer.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 03:18:25 PM »
You lifting Heavy things?
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 03:45:02 PM »
the words "holy shit" come to mind
you better be able to burn off the 5k calories otherwise they'll turn to fat
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »
You lifting Heavy things?

Yeah freeweights

I don't have access to barbells

Offline David M.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »
Yeah freeweights

I don't have access to barbells

Get access.
the words "holy shit" come to mind
you better be able to burn off the 5k calories otherwise they'll turn to fat

Ehhhh....No. They probably won't with him.
Quote from: Jim Wendler
Is what I'm doing awesome? If I ask myself that and the answer is no, then I don't do it

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »
i guess ur right, tanks use ammo as firepower, not cushions :P
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.