Author Topic: Police  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Jon Keyes

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Police
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
The only thing malls cops can do is ask you to leave...and then call the real cops to do their work for them :P

now i laugh every time i see one...but if i must then i'll leave
last name(Keyes) is pronounced keys(just wanted to put that out there)
Feel free to add me on MSN

Offline mixedmartialmarc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
yea i have such a problem with this the few spots there are normally are building or school or parking garages and needless to say im not  very welcome there

Offline Steve Castro

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
We live in a world where enemies do not identify their associations, and terrorists look like regular dudes except their shoe has a homemade bomb in it.  How do you prevent such a threat?  I can't think of any other way than to just watch out for people doing things they don't normally do, trust your gut and question them (as a police officer or security guard).

Parkour is still widely unknown and practiced by a tiny minority, and if an officer sees someone climbing a building, there's a good chance the person isn't doing parkour and is actually putting himself/others in harm's way, trying to commit suicide, trying to break into a place unlawfully, trying to steal something, etc.  They do not know your intention and that you mean no harm, they only see your actions and what those might be implying. Can you really blame their interpretation if it was your job to protect the peace?  How does he know that a thug didn't go out and learn parkour for the sole purpose of robbing a place?

Police and security guards are making your life safer.  We should be thankful for them putting their necks on the line to some degree and protecting yours, even if it inconveniences our lives a little from time to time.  If you climb down, speak respectfully and intelligently about the art of what you do, do not argue, and then move along if asked, it is going to be good for parkour.  Now that police officer next time he sees you will be less likely to see what you are doing as suspicious and may not question you or ask you to leave so quickly.  Eventually it may become more accepted, but if you are disrespectful to their face or even in your heart, parkour may very well be killed completely in your community, and signs that say no skateboarding, etc. will include parkour, or it may even become outright illegal.  The future of the discipline is in your hands, and we must work with the community to embrace it.  Some cops might know about parkour and still even treat you disrespectfully.  It's in those times that we are truly challenged to make our movements quiet and efficient in terms of being respectful even if it was not deserved, because otherwise you will only be proving what that cop already thinks about parkour instead of proving him wrong.

I'm sure lots of people see parkour as similar to skateboarding, and honestly I've known so many skateboarders who intentionally incorporate disrespect as part of their culture, and even pressure others to follow suit.  Why wouldn't police see the same thing in parkour unless we go out of our way to present it differently?

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
"Parkour: We Turned Running From The Cops Into A Sport."

totally sigged xD
"Parkour: We Turned Running From The Cops Into A Sport." -Angel Castillo

Offline Scott Drebus

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »
Steve Castro + 1.  No, make that X 10.  Or more!

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 10:37:19 AM »
the 5.0 in my hood is rediculous...we almost got caught on the skool the other night...but id say i see atleast 2 arrests a day in my area...they stop us from training from time to time and pat us down...apparently parkour is very good for drug running ::) from what they say (nt directly to us, but i over heard him say it to the other officer, i find that to be bullshit.)

- i think cops need to be more informed about sports and activeties
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

cj4826

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
Chris I just might sig that phrase form your friend, if it's ok with you.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »
Yeah, if anybody does that, it's OK by me.  I ask you just give him proper credit. 

Example: "Parkour: We Turned Running From The Cops Into A Sport."--Angel Castillo

Thanks.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

cj4826

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
(Damn. Candy Man beat me to it.) And ok thanks Chris, I'll just directly quote what you just posted.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:56:18 PM by Cole Moore »

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »
the 5.0 in my hood is rediculous...we almost got caught on the skool the other night...but id say i see atleast 2 arrests a day in my area...they stop us from training from time to time and pat us down...apparently parkour is very good for drug running ::) from what they say (nt directly to us, but i over heard him say it to the other officer, i find that to be bullshit.)

- i think cops need to be more informed about sports and activeties

Parkour IS very good for drug running in theory...

Around here, nothing has ever really happened to me while training.
Cops don't care 'bout much.
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

wlf

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
the 5.0 in my hood is rediculous...we almost got caught on the skool the other night...but id say i see atleast 2 arrests a day in my area...they stop us from training from time to time and pat us down...apparently parkour is very good for drug running ::)

Purhapps they've seen District 13  ::)

Offline Jon Keyes

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »
hahaha :D that's a good movie, even if the dubbing was a little off i still give it a 10/10
last name(Keyes) is pronounced keys(just wanted to put that out there)
Feel free to add me on MSN

wlf

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
yeah i was lucky enough to tivo them, awesome sequel even if it was a lot like the first one

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:13 AM »
i see people got jokes about security guards.............

i dont think ive had a bad experience with the cops as far as parkour is concerned. they mostly just watch or ask us to do a flip
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 07:18:36 AM »
yeah i was lucky enough to tivo them, awesome sequel even if it was a lot like the first one
honestly i think the B13 is better than the second DB13 movie...it seemed more original than the second one...it also had more chase scenes
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

wlf

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »
honestly i think the B13 is better than the second DB13 movie...it seemed more original than the second one...it also had more chase scenes
meh, i watched the second one first so it might have been that, personally i just liked the multiple gang situation better than one coke snuffing crack piping drug lord

Offline Austin Lutz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »

QFT.  The first movie was more pk centered, compared to the hollywood action of the second.  And as to the topic at hand, some cops and security guards have reason to question what we are doing, I mean it does attract attention.  Plus a lot of people associate it to things like tagging, skating, and other vandal activity.

I, for instance, was cited for criminal trespassing just for doing pk around a bunch of kids that ended up being taggers >.<  They ALWAYS blame the one over 18!

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
Chris, i noticed you wrote something about just listening to the cops, and leaving as told (sorry, i paraphrased it). I believe the same thing, however, i train with 2 people that dont. It's not that they hate the law, or despise police, it's just that they feel that they should "fight for our right" so to speak. they speak up and try to ask why we're being kicked out, etc. They get in trouble for "backtalking" when they are jsut trying to understand. i can see it from both sides, but what do you guys think?
In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 03:49:13 PM »
Chris, i noticed you wrote something about just listening to the cops, and leaving as told (sorry, i paraphrased it). I believe the same thing, however, i train with 2 people that dont. It's not that they hate the law, or despise police, it's just that they feel that they should "fight for our right" so to speak. they speak up and try to ask why we're being kicked out, etc. They get in trouble for "backtalking" when they are jsut trying to understand. i can see it from both sides, but what do you guys think?

I can see it from both sides too, Mike.  The trouble is that the cops (and other authority figures) don't see it from both sides, nor do they usually care to.  Fighting for your rights isn't going to help in that situation, it's going to make things worse. 

In those circumstances, if your training partners are really being peaceful about asking why you're being kicked out, stay in the background and say nothing.  Let them do the talking.  If they're being even the slightest bit disrespectful, CALL THEM OUT ON IT.  Tell them that they have no business talking to authority figures like that, and don't be ashamed for doing it. 

At the core here is something I'm trying to advance for Parkour: Respect.  Respect for others, even when you're not being respected, will eventually win you (and all of us) respect when the public interacts with other traceurs in the future.  Always strive to make every civilian(by that I mean non-practitioner)'s experiences with the art a positive one and you'll never go wrong.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
i honestly hope to become a police officer

if a cop does tell you to leave, listen. because most are older than you (this is mainly to the other young people here), so if you try to "fight for your right" you come off as disrespectful, and that dose not help.  you should politely explain what you are doing, that your not doing anything wrong, then leave. or be an ass and when they roll up run like hell.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.