Author Topic: The KO (Know Obstacles) Parkour Shoe!  (Read 44057 times)

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
Re: The KO (Know Obstacles) Parkour Shoe!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »
im using my VFFs and my feet as my shoes. occasionally my feiyues for when my vibrams are wet or need to be washed. i am, however, thinking of buying a pair of lighter PK shoes because im always too worried about jamming my toes on/in between something while training. maybe ill consider these, but id like to know how long they last before spending any money on them
yeah, they take 8-10 weeks to ship so ill forget if i buy them, then when i get them it will be like a great present to myself
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline AquaKong

• Guenons
  • Corey Kibling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
im going to use the daescents as eveyday shoes. them and my VFF.

Do what you want, I'm just saying.  I use the Daescents too but I also switch between them and the Onitsuka Tigers and an old pair of Ariakes.  Different strokes for different blokes.  Just know the hazards of each and train conscientiously.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 07:54:03 PM »
don't the knee problems originate from heel strikes?
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline Tanner O'Donnell

• Patas
  • Parkour is drugs to me. It's addicting and im high
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »
I bought them to review, at the end of summer, although probably before that. The point is that I'm getting them to help us traceurs decide if their the next big shoe. Don't worry I will be using the stranded review system so I will be going over all the stuff.
"If you're afraid to fall, you fall because you are afraid. Everything is choice."-Daniel Ilabaca
GET VIBRAMS!

Offline AquaKong

• Guenons
  • Corey Kibling
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
I would assume that heel-striking would occur as they were his everyday shoe, but he also developed hip pains as well.  The key thing is that he did not use them as a training shoe, he doesn't do Parkour, all he used them for was walking around.  I'm not pretending to know his medical history or anything, I'm not his doctor, I'm just saying that yes we do have foot muscles that should be developed and used, but at the same time a "concrete jungle" is not our natural habitat and foot strength training can only do so much to dampen the unforgiving impacts of the concrete and brick we are so fond of playing on.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »
its not necessarily foot muscles that i use instead of padding, just proper form. and a lot of rolls

Offline AquaKong

• Guenons
  • Corey Kibling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 02:53:41 PM »
its not necessarily foot muscles that i use instead of padding, just proper form. and a lot of rolls

No matter how well your form is or how many rolls you do, unless all your rolls are dive rolls, your foot still makes contact with the ground.  As soon as your foot hits the ground the shock begins to travel from your forefoot, assuming you have proper technique, and travels through the mid-foot which acts as a shock absorber (the first of many).  From there the shock continues to travel through your body as you enter into your roll or landing.  As the last step in the process, you engage the muscles connected to your big toe to provide the last little bit of propulsion for your rolls or for running out of your landing.  So unless you don't have feet, then you are in fact using your foot muscles.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
i think some people need to look up a few articles on barefoot walking and running

since february ive maybe had about four hours in "normal shoes" (minus mowing the lawn, im not ruining my KSOs with that) and my body is much happier.

being barefoot will make your feet stronger, your back stop hurting, your "foot problems" will either go away or stop hurting, and your proprioception (knowing where your body parts are, in this, your feet) increases, and so do your reaction times (like today i spilled boiling hot water and before i even realized it my feet moved out of the way). i kind of think it improves your vision too, because i spot things on the ground all the time that i never wouldve seen before such as tiny bits of glass, little bugs, and even tiny rocks that are the same color as the ground
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Tyler Whalen

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
i think some people need to look up a few articles on barefoot walking and running

since february ive maybe had about four hours in "normal shoes" (minus mowing the lawn, im not ruining my KSOs with that) and my body is much happier.

being barefoot will make your feet stronger, your back stop hurting, your "foot problems" will either go away or stop hurting, and your proprioception (knowing where your body parts are, in this, your feet) increases, and so do your reaction times (like today i spilled boiling hot water and before i even realized it my feet moved out of the way). i kind of think it improves your vision too, because i spot things on the ground all the time that i never wouldve seen before such as tiny bits of glass, little bugs, and even tiny rocks that are the same color as the ground

Truth. I've had 0 hours of normal shoe time since 5/27 and i'm feeling great.

Offline Andrew 'Syn' Obenreder

• Patas
  • MOVE | FLOW | LIVE
    • View Profile
    • Team Sanjuu
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
1st hand experience...
THEY ARE KALENJIS.

If you liked them. Buy these. If not...
Definitely don't. Ahahaha.

Go buy a pair of Onitsuka Tigers or Pumas.
"Our goal isn't for it to be spectacular, to show off, or to gain respect. We merely do this for self gain and to help each other grow mentally and physically, to break our limits, and to be able to flow; just as the water does."

Team Sanjuu

Worldwide Movement Association

Offline AquaKong

• Guenons
  • Corey Kibling
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »

Proprioception, increased reaction times, and increased "vision" comes with training regardless of shoe type.

I'm not saying that barefoot running and walking are bad.  It's fairly obvious that it is good for you.  I'm just saying I had a friend who had problems with it so just be mindful.  Besides, the point I'm trying to make is that barefoot Parkour, not walking and regular running, could be too much force on an unprotected foot.  There is a huge difference between running normally barefoot and trying to take a 7 ft. drop barefoot.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »
No matter how well your form is or how many rolls you do, unless all your rolls are dive rolls, your foot still makes contact with the ground.  As soon as your foot hits the ground the shock begins to travel from your forefoot, assuming you have proper technique, and travels through the mid-foot which acts as a shock absorber (the first of many).  From there the shock continues to travel through your body as you enter into your roll or landing.  As the last step in the process, you engage the muscles connected to your big toe to provide the last little bit of propulsion for your rolls or for running out of your landing.  So unless you don't have feet, then you are in fact using your foot muscles.
i wasn't saying i don't use foot muscles i was saying that those are not the only thing coming into play.....btw I HAVE NO FEET!!!jk

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:59 AM »
1st hand experience...
THEY ARE KALENJIS.

If you liked them. Buy these. If not...
Definitely don't. Ahahaha.

Go buy a pair of Onitsuka Tigers or Pumas.

Kalenjis?
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 11:04:49 AM »

There are many benefits to barefoot running in my opinion, and one major supporter of barefoot running is Erwan Le Corre (founder of MovNat).

But, I feel that concrete, brick, etc., are much different materials then for what our feet were built for. So while I do train barefoot every so often Because I feel it improves my balance and spatial awareness, it's not something I do constantly.

And can we please get back on topic? Possibly create a new thread specifically about barefoot running, the pros & cons and all that stuff.

-David

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
my apologize david, btw great post.

the KO shoes look cool, in a weird way.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 11:14:26 AM »
my apologize david, btw great post.

Don't apologize man, and thanks haha.

Offline James Bazil Bianco

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2010, 12:24:48 PM »
I would really like to see a review of these as well. My Feivues already have a hole in each after two months, but i really don't want to wear my old Arik K-swiss's, They are just to thick and heavy for me now, and i feel they make me ignore proper form.
Think critically!

For Here Be Dragons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKdG7yGi0KA

Offline Alexz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »
I really want to get these, but will there ever be a quicker shipping time? You can't pay for airmail or anything along the lines of overnight?

Offline mayday295

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »
Nope, but I keep checking ebay and such sites, for a pair to come up in america with quick shipping, other wise Im waiting for a review.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »
Here's an idea: If 7 foot drops hurt because your shoes don't have enough padding... don't take 7 foot drops.

Never rely on equipment. Trust your body more than your shoes. If your body can't do something without shoes, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. With perfect technique and appropriate progression your body can do almost anything. If that sounds too difficult and your shoes help you get around that then thats the problem, not the shoes.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.