Author Topic: New Here and Making Parkour a Part of My Life  (Read 1096 times)

Offline AdViSeD

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
New Here and Making Parkour a Part of My Life
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:59:28 AM »
Im 19 and live in IL. I am 5'6 and weigh about 128 pounds. After seeing parkour for the first time I have been this excited and never wanted to do something so badly in a long time. Ever since seeing parkour I know now that I can't just go through life without doing it. I've planned on making parkour part of my lifestyle, devoting all my free time to training and doing parkour.

I already work out my upper body and am fit upper body wise. However I haven't did much lower body training and exercise in some time now, and would like tips and ask what I should do to train my legs and the rest of my lower body. And how long should I train before starting to do parkour. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You'll be seeing me here often.

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
Re: New Here and Making Parkour a Part of My Life
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:03:36 AM »
If you're here often, we'll be here trying to help you on your path.

welcome to the community!

Offline Sean Au

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:14:29 AM »
Welcome man, hope you do well on your journey.

For lower body exercises, you can do sprinting, squats, lunges, different plyometric exercises which I personally can't really bother with. The only thing I do is jumping and squats and occasional jogging.

And also... devoting all your free time to parkour is not good. Trust me. Not good. Its what I did until a few months ago. You will get distracted, and not actually get anything done. And if you go to school, your grades will go down. Probably same thing with work also. Make parkour part of your lifestyle, not wholly your lifestyle. Learn how to play a musical instrument, watch good movies, travel, etc. That way you will be a more well rounded person and actually do better at parkour.

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
Welcome man, hope you do well on your journey.

For lower body exercises, you can do sprinting, squats, lunges, different plyometric exercises which I personally can't really bother with. The only thing I do is jumping and squats and occasional jogging.

And also... devoting all your free time to parkour is not good. Trust me. Not good. Its what I did until a few months ago. You will get distracted, and not actually get anything done. And if you go to school, your grades will go down. Probably same thing with work also. Make parkour part of your lifestyle, not wholly your lifestyle. Learn how to play a musical instrument, watch good movies, travel, etc. That way you will be a more well rounded person and actually do better at parkour.
good advie...to much of something good can end up bad...but welcome to our ranks ;) if your in illinois, hit up that forum thread and see if you cant find NoRush(that was his screen name a while ago) he trains around there and from what i hear he's pretty good...also keep an eye out for up coming jams in your area
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

Offline AdViSeD

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
Thanks for the Advice. I dont go back to college till August so I got alot of free time this summer. Figured I'd start to use most of the free time for learning parkour. I understand the to much of a good thing can be bad which is true. I know when to not over do things and when its time to take something slow and time to relax with a different activity.

NoRush huh? I'll Look him up when I go to the IL forums. I was browsing there last night and  seen a thread where a few people are doing parkour training at the College I attend.

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:36:13 AM »
there's also a jam coming up in chicago around the 23rd area of june i believe...ill look more into the forums for it...also check your local forums and see who does what where....june 5th is national parkour day so if you go out and train in the city your liable to run into other traceur(e)s...

I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/