Author Topic: What is your definition of Parkour and Freerunning?  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: What is your definition of Parkour and Freerunning?
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 05:55:47 AM »
Seb's Musique de la Rue [Music of the Street]

There's only one flip. If he hadn't done the flip, would it still be a free-running video? ;D
Considering that he "invented" the term free-running?

Can we move on now?

Offline baki20xx

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Balance in all things is key.
    • View Profile
    • My Parkour.com URL
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »
To me Parkour, Freerunning, L'art du deplacement, urban gymnastics, obstacle running, rage froobling, etc... are all terms for the same thing. They all describe a vision. A way of life. A way of moving. However you want to express that way, be it an efficient vault or a flashy front flip twist, that's you're personal way of personifying the art. I think names and labels limit us from development and the ability to create new things.

Also, efficiency is dependent on a persons body type, so even if we all were trying to do the fastest and most efficient moves, they would be slightly different for all of us.

Find what's good for you and what makes you happy and call it whatever you want.
-Blake

"In Omnia Paratus"

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
To me Parkour, Freerunning, L'art du deplacement, urban gymnastics, obstacle running, rage froobling, etc... are all terms for the same thing. They all describe a vision. A way of life. A way of moving. However you want to express that way, be it an efficient vault or a flashy front flip twist, that's you're personal way of personifying the art. I think names and labels limit us from development and the ability to create new things.

Also, efficiency is dependent on a persons body type, so even if we all were trying to do the fastest and most efficient moves, they would be slightly different for all of us.

Find what's good for you and what makes you happy and call it whatever you want.

yeah, what he said

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »

Nicely put. :)
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline VegamanKS3

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • What's gravity?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
Probably late to this post, but to me Parkour is like making love to the architecture, and bringing life and purpose to the stale and seemingly lifeless unnatural and natural world. It is a means of self-discovery and a connection to the natural curiosities and a response to our need to challenge social norms, and express ourselves and the freedom that our bodies were once capable. It is what keeps us connected to the naturalworld, and in some aspects, it can be used as an ice breaker, and can even inspire newfound courage in those with weak hearts. It can even be used in self defense, when the situation is clouded by violent overtones, reason is lost on the aggressor(s), sometimes it is just best to flee the situation. PArkour is simply put, poetry in motion.
Said a wanted man by the Laws of Physics...

Offline dajester

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
That's a great addition to this forum. Your post definitely stands out beside the other posts. Thank you.