Author Topic: These nike shoes i found...  (Read 4237 times)

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
Re: These nike shoes i found...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 02:35:53 PM »
no.

im not kidding.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Barker

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 03:46:19 PM »
do not buy those shoes
not now not ever
White Rabbit Parkour

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 05:31:20 PM »
they dont look half bad, except for one thing. it sounds like it has almost no shock absorbtion for drops and stuff

I think that was sort of the idea. I saw some of the early commercials for their "Free" model, and it seemed like they were after "the feeling of running barefoot, but without the broken glass". Just enough protection to keep you safe from the surface you were walking/running on, but you might still inflict injuries on yourself by trying to run with feet that had been coddled by shoes all your life. That was the idea behind Nike Free; take a half-hour walk every day for a few weeks, and toughen up your feet to how they should be (and were, in past centuries when people literally couldn't afford shoes and had to walk everywhere, getting astounding calluses underneath their feet), and then you'd see an improvement in speed, strength, reflexes, jumping, all with your feet.

I definitely don't think it's a good idea for constant wear; if you have an extra budget for shoes, look at them for "infrequent use" to "keep the feet in shape", but even then the weaknesses they're aimed at correcting might not be a problem for regular traceurs. Someone out there might have taken a closer look at the science involved and found out whether the Nike Free is useful to people who already use their feet a lot, or just for people who haven't yet but are thinking about it. How serious a problem is the "coddling" that normal shoes, according to Nike, do? Was that just a marketing gimmick? Is the problem avoided with less casual footwear, such as athletes would buy anyway? It's probable someone out there has looked into this already, but not everything is indexed by Google and I have no idea where to start or what sources are reputable, so I'll just toss the questions out here and let anyone who's interested in the shoes go searching for the answers themselves ;D
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

SOGSEAL

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:59:17 PM »
i think i have those.... and i think they aint that bad :D

Steez

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 09:34:10 PM »
they aren't durable at all, a kid on my crosscountry team has them, and they've gotten SHREDDED from just regular running, parkour would murder these things.  and as for strengthening the feet? just run barefoot.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:41:18 PM »
as for strengthening the feet? just run barefoot.

Agreed, if the ground where you live isn't covered with dangerous litter.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »
i wasnt gonna buy them...i was just saying, ya know?
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline Arcon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 01:16:01 PM »
I have been running in these shoes for about 3 months and i finally had to retire them, not because of comfort, but because of durability. These are probably the most comfortable shoes i have ever worn, but because the soles are not very durable i had to quickly exchange them. I would most certainly reccomend them to anyone who is looking for a comfortable walking/style shoe, but as for PK they just dont quite meet the bar.   

P.S.    I wore them with inserts

SOGSEAL

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:56:31 AM »
i really love these shoes, better than Asics Kensei

http://www.paragonsports.com/Paragon/Shop?DSP=40000&PCR=1:102:1055:10443:101075&IID=5-313092

my getting 2nd pair of them ;)