Author Topic: Braces and an MRI  (Read 4364 times)

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Braces and an MRI
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:25:04 AM »
I am not sure of what forum to post this in but it somewhat has to do with injury

I recently injured my leg during a football game and have been resting it, icing it, elevating it, etc. the swelling has gone down considerably, thus it is now time for me to get an MRI but the problem is that I have braces and another apparatus in my mouth and was told it could possibly be ripped out or heat up during the MRI because it is essentially a giant magnet.   

I wanted to know if anyone else has ever encountered this problem or knows anything about it.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
Re: Braces and an MRI
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 04:24:23 PM »
braces are made of metal, and and mri is essential a giant magnet, i think oyu had a pretty good grasp on it to begin with ;)

Gearsighted

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 02:58:22 PM »
Unless you're getting your MRI in some alley somewhere, I would assume that the technicians that operate them would have some idea as to the risks involved...if they don't ask you about metal on your person for some off-the-wall reason, mention it to them. If there is a possibility that it would be detrimental to your health, then they will be able to do something about it...if not, maybe find a hospital OUTSIDE of the ghetto in Bangladesh...just my .02

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 02:19:38 PM »
LMAO, don’t worry I’m not in some ghetto in Bangladesh. I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it because of the terminology used when the problem with the braces was being explained to me, I asked around my school and it turns out one of my friends who had braces got an MRI and told me that they do in fact heat up and you may get a bit of a headache but apart from that nothing else happened to him. Thanks for the advice though.

One question though, since the day of my injury, which was about 9 days ago I have lost about 15-17 pounds despite my currently for the most part sedentary lifestyle. About the only physical activity I now get is walking around school with my crutches and hopping around the field on one leg acting as the water boy (trying to be useful at practice). Is it possible that I’m losing muscle or is it just coincidental.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 03:09:21 PM »
I had to have an MRI of my neck with braces and there was no heating up or discomfort ( your friends headache may have been because the machine is very loud )

As to the weigtloss i have no idea

Gearsighted

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 02:26:20 AM »
If you are living a sedentary lifestyle and you're losing weight, it is almost assuredly muscle rather than fat. How is your diet?

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:13:02 PM »
Well my diet could be much much better but I lack the time to properly set up all my meals etc. (I know bad excuse) I’m still in high school so my parent’s generally cook dinner, it’s always some form of protein IE. Steak, ground beef, chicken and then carbs most often in the form of rice. I eat some junk food but nothing like McDonalds or bk.

Really I have horrible nutrition protocol for the simple fact I don’t generally eat, only once a day, I wake up too late for breakfast, the lunch lines at my school are mega packed and by the time I get my food I will generally have between 2-3 minutes to scarf it down then go to class so I usually just skip lunch (I always have Gatorade with me though and I drink some of that) then comes football practice after school from when were let out at 2:40 until 6:30-7:30 and I get home at like 8 and dinner will be made or in the process of being cooked so I’ll have dinner and that’s about it.

That has changed though since my injury because i get out of class early so I can walk without getting trampled and thus I now get to lunch when there are no lines and I can buy my lunch and eat it at a leisurely pace, so in a sense I’m eating more regularly but I don’t think that would govern my losing weight.

P.S: i got the MRI and nothing at all happened, however they unfortunately did not have someone on hand that could interpret the results of the MRI and thus I still do not know what is wrong with my leg, really sucks because I had to sit there as my team suffered a crushing 46-0 defeat and I could do nothing. On Monday though I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon and they will be able to tell me what is wrong with my leg.

Gearsighted

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 03:21:59 AM »
Well, you already know the problem, but here's a super-simple solution: Eat 5-6 times a day NO EXCUSES. Compose each of those meals from protein (eggs, cheese, beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon, protein powder) fruits and vegetables, healthy fats (olive oil, avacados, almonds, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, fish oil) and water...leaving the rice as a condiment eaten in VERY SMALL PORTIONS.

Seriously, commit to something that simple and it will make every bit of difference.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:31:25 PM »
While Im in this thread do you have any other dietary advice or direct me to some  ;D

Gearsighted

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »
There's tons of advice in the forum and on the site in various articles. Really, keep it simple and you will be fine. You can also check out the nutrition forum at crossfit.com for a whole slew of discussions along these lines.

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 09:25:22 AM »
i tried that during the summer, but now school is in session and it would be very hard to do that,  how far apart should theese meals be spaced

Gearsighted

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 12:34:09 PM »
Between 2 and 4 hours seems optimal. Remember that you can pick up some quick snack stuff like jerky, nuts and seeds, dried fruit or vegetables, Balance bars, bottles of water, etc. Carry it with you and you never have an excuse to miss a snack while also ensuring that it stays healthy.

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 05:45:16 PM »
Ok I went to the orthopedic doctor today and he told me that it was a very severe sprain with a few minor tears (wow I just noticed that word is a homonym) a in the ligament, that I can play sports again because running on it and putting pressure wont damage it any further but there will be pain, there are 2 games left in the season, one this Wednesday and the other the following week, I don’t plan to play this Wednesday but would like to play the following week depending on how my ankle feels.

My question is what can I do to start reconditioning it back into full-blown activity.

P.S. thanks for the nutritional advice I’m going to attempt to implement it and adhere to it but my family needs to do groceries for me to do so, so I’ll start sometime this weekend.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 06:04:04 PM »
You should ease yourself back on to that ankle very slowly and follow R.I.C.E. very strictly. I had a sprain and tore a shitload of ligaments and it took a very long time (almost a month before even walking on it and 2 months till full use). also evn though its only a sprain be careful because if you resprain that ankle It will have to be casted and you will lose major function (It will be painful and sprain mor easily). Try to get physical therapy for a while and most of all feel better ;D