Author Topic: Old man in the house  (Read 1033 times)

Offline matttrick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Art of Displacement
Old man in the house
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
Ok not that old. I'm 29 out of long island, NY and gearing up to get into this amazing discipline. My name is Matt and I haven't been as excited about something as this in a long time. I am currently getting divorced (don't marry young kids!) and this is just what I have been looking for to gain some focus in my life, as well as keep in shape. Quick bio, I was fairly overweight in my teenage years, got in shape around 20 and have been a regular in the gym ever since. I very much enjoy pushing my body but as we all know, the gym can get tired. I also play racquetball almost weekly.

Anyway enough of that. I lucked out and the all LI jam is happening right by me in a couple of weeks. I will hopefully be attending day 2 so maybe I will see some of you there. I am nowhere near far enough along to partake, but I imagine it will be inspiring to see some real life action. Been spending the last couple of weeks reading reading reading everything I can about parkour, and focusing on grip and balancing exercises. I figure a few weeks of that and practicing the basics like rolls and other minor techniques are the best way to prepare.

Anyway, I can't wait to get out there and join you guys; what some of you are able to pull off is truly humbling. I hope to count myself among you someday  :D

Offline Skrate

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Old man in the house
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »
29 isn't old, not by a long shot - at least for parkour. Rofl

NYC Parkour ftw, lol - wish I could live there. I've got ATL, so... xD

I'm just starting out too, so good luck to both of us

Offline Scott Drebus

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »
29?  Youngin.   :P  Well, I guess 33 isn't that much older.  Age is a trade off.  There are some things I can do now that I couldn't in my teens, but things I could do back then that I can't do now.  Right around our age is when the metabolism slows down, job and/or family duties kick in, and the body starts going to waste.  So it's great that we're keeping active and fit.

Anyway, welcome.  :)

Offline matttrick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Art of Displacement
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Only wish I knew about this as a teenager. Oh well, here's to refusing to age!

Offline Kenny Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »
I entered this topic expecting you'd say your 50 or late 40's, dude 31 is old, you got a long way to go.  ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, welcome to Americanparkour!  :P

Offline matttrick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Art of Displacement
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
Thanks. I know I am not that old but it seems like there is a higher concentration of teenagers interested, maybe it is a misconception. Either way it really is reassuring to see that there are plenty of people in all age ranges practicing PK.

I really have to say I wish I had discovered this in my teens. Could have been a great outlet and great way to stay in shape. Anyway I am lurking about now just absorbing all of the knowledge I can, you guys are really helpful and it is much appreciated.

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:53:21 PM »
Just in case this is new info, be sure to check out the 30+ board also... Just don't forget to bring your fake ID  ;)
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline ~Tiger~

• Patas
  • http://youtube.com/shad0wtraceur - Subscribe! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
29 really isn't that old..  ;)

Chase Armitage is 26 and he's one of the best free runners in the world..

Then again he's been training for 9 years.  ;D