Author Topic: urban exploring  (Read 14154 times)

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
Re: urban exploring
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
not if your respectful, we wouldnt be going in there to loot or piss on the floors, just take pics and get out
exactly, it's just an old abandoned building not in use and never again will be, so why not explore, there's nothing wrong with that.
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »
not if your respectful, we wouldnt be going in there to loot or piss on the floors, just take pics and get out

exactly, it's just an old abandoned building not in use and never again will be, so why not explore, there's nothing wrong with that.
Some people have highly religious standards, and dont want non-church members to be walking around.
Its just one of those things. Religion is highly controversial. unless permitted otherwise, I wouldnt go into a church. just me though.....

also: make sure its actually abandoned, and not just unused at the moment  :P

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
I'm religious, but I just don't know why walking into an abandoned church is a bad thing, don't find anything wrong with exploring.
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »

this is urban exploring..... *facepalm*
No, that's just walking around town.
But I did a bit of real urban exploring yesterday at the mill. I got to take a "closer look" at the dam next to it. A much, much closer look.
Also waved hi to people inside of the building. They had stunned expressions on their faces. It was funneh.
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »
No, that's just walking around town.
But I did a bit of real urban exploring yesterday at the mill. I got to take a "closer look" at the dam next to it. A much, much closer look.
Also waved hi to people inside of the building. They had stunned expressions on their faces. It was funneh.

>It was funneh
>was funneh
>funneh

wtf am i reading? now that my insult is out of the way... serious time
who says you have to run to be an explorer? nothing wrong with walking around town. if its the road less traveled it counts.
it is a sign of a certain religion. I would say it was wrong no matter the religion. The fact of the matter is that you have no business being there, weather its being used or not. If it was another type of building i wouldn't say anything because id do it too, but its a building that holds meaning to people, and by illegally entering it, you are being disrespectful to those people.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »
it is a sign of a certain religion. I would say it was wrong no matter the religion. The fact of the matter is that you have no business being there, weather its being used or not. If it was another type of building i wouldn't say anything because id do it too, but its a building that holds meaning to people, and by illegally entering it, you are being disrespectful to those people.

Exactly my thoughts.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »
yep to above

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline J. Gabriel Alvarez Manilla

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2010, 02:49:08 PM »
So if I wanted to start this, what would be recommended to do and bring for a first-time expedition after I found a place?
The Great Way is universal,
it can apply to the left or the right.
All beings depend on it for life,
and it does not refuse.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
So if I wanted to start this, what would be recommended to do and bring for a first-time expedition after I found a place?

a friend, a knife, a flashlight and some rope. a back pack with a few bottles of water and some granola bars or something will help in case you get trapped for some extended period... seriously, that shit can happen.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

wlf

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
some rope
Stupid effing rope.

Tell me some one gets this reference!!!!

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »

i feel quite differently. is a table still a table if you take away the legs? what about if you leave the legs and take away the top?

a building only fulfills its assigned label when people are there doing what they do. when said people leave it is a building the same as a house, it becomes walls with a roof and doors and windows. when a building is clearly abandoned, after years of neglect the outside starts to wear, people have not used it for its intended purposes in many years. the building has been merely a roof over four walls.

what makes a church a church? the cross on top? the stained glass? the layout of the inside?

part of urban exploring for me is the destruction of man and what man destroys. the buildings we build and the bridges we put up will eventually all fail. after many years nature takes over when we stop caring for them. in reality what is happening is you are seeing nature cover a wound like a scab forms on our skin.

we destroyed the earth to put our city there, nature eventually seeps through and creates cracks. in reality WE are the ones in the wrong. we kill the soil we live on, we cut down all of its trees destroying the root structure and in some cases creating a topsoil effect.

just to build a building...

so when man walks away from what he has ravaged, we should be free to document how it is healed. any building, any time, any place for any reason, take only photographs and leave only footprints.

urban exploring isnt always "fun". sometimes it can be an emotionally draining or even painful experience. if you enter a building while its in the process of being broken down, you really see the destruction of creation. i mean think of all the metal and concrete, how the ground has to absorb that.

it is also a joyful experience on the flip side though. at least i know one day it will all be healed and maybe one day returned to what it once was. if you choose to use emotions you should think across the board, dont just feel for the people, feel for the planet as well.

to be honest we lowly carbon based life forms that can burn and freeze to death shouldnt give so much of a hoot what happens to our "buildings"... especially when they last longer than us no matter what happens.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:22:18 AM by max eisenberg »

wlf

« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2011, 08:15:28 AM »
Stupid effing rope.

Tell me some one gets this reference!!!!
HERE IS THE REFERENCE HOW HAVE NONE OF YOU SEEN THIS MOVIE!!!!! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvV0SG4THJg

Offline J. Gabriel Alvarez Manilla

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »
Beautiful, Max. I can't say I feel the same way, since I have yet to start, but it's definetly something worth thinking about.

and...
a friend
...It's not that I don't have friends, but I don't know how deep relationships get after one year of knowing the people here, and frankly, from parkour-related behavior (well, not just parkour-related), everyone thinks I have a loose screw; my point is, I don't think there's really anyone I could really ask "Hey dude, wanna go into this abandoned building with me?" ...unless I was to ask any of the freerunners within a 30 mile radius of my area.
The Great Way is universal,
it can apply to the left or the right.
All beings depend on it for life,
and it does not refuse.

Offline D. Hadzic

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2011, 06:34:24 AM »
This all reminds me of my childhood. We explored some creative places.
I've been rather fascinated about how nature retakes the land we threw away. It's one of the reasons I'm interested in Portal 2, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person who saw that video about 10k years without humans.

All in all, I think it's a good thing that people are entering these places and taking pictures, actually bothering to put a final chapter to a building.

Oh, and at the risk of sparking something, I believe it's much worse to abandon a Church and ignore it as it falls apart than explore it and see what it has become. If people actually cared about the building, they'd maintain it or demolish it and make a memorial.
Just my two bits.
Don't just go running, go running with "style"

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
i feel quite differently. is a table still a table if you take away the legs? what about if you leave the legs and take away the top?

a building only fulfills its assigned label when people are there doing what they do. when said people leave it is a building the same as a house, it becomes walls with a roof and doors and windows. when a building is clearly abandoned, after years of neglect the outside starts to wear, people have not used it for its intended purposes in many years. the building has been merely a roof over four walls.

what makes a church a church? the cross on top? the stained glass? the layout of the inside?

part of urban exploring for me is the destruction of man and what man destroys. the buildings we build and the bridges we put up will eventually all fail. after many years nature takes over when we stop caring for them. in reality what is happening is you are seeing nature cover a wound like a scab forms on our skin.

we destroyed the earth to put our city there, nature eventually seeps through and creates cracks. in reality WE are the ones in the wrong. we kill the soil we live on, we cut down all of its trees destroying the root structure and in some cases creating a topsoil effect.

just to build a building...

so when man walks away from what he has ravaged, we should be free to document how it is healed. any building, any time, any place for any reason, take only photographs and leave only footprints.

urban exploring isnt always "fun". sometimes it can be an emotionally draining or even painful experience. if you enter a building while its in the process of being broken down, you really see the destruction of creation. i mean think of all the metal and concrete, how the ground has to absorb that.

it is also a joyful experience on the flip side though. at least i know one day it will all be healed and maybe one day returned to what it once was. if you choose to use emotions you should think across the board, dont just feel for the people, feel for the planet as well.

to be honest we lowly carbon based life forms that can burn and freeze to death shouldnt give so much of a hoot what happens to our "buildings"... especially when they last longer than us no matter what happens.

look at it like this, there is a house near me. it appeared abandoned and most people though it was, it turns out that the owners just hadn't had a chance to sell it. when they did get the chance they realized that people had broken in to "look around" and destroyed the house. costing them thousands in damage. not all abandoned buildings are really abandoned.
Now you Max have given the impression of a responsible adult on these forums. Where as Nick has given the impression on multiple occasions of someone far less responsible. because of that if you where to say you explored an abandoned church, most would assumed you looked around which really isn't disrespectful, where as if Nick says he plans on breaking into a church (notice wording effects it too), he sounds like some punk with poor intent.

inb4 double standards, if you do not want to be looked at as someone less than respectable, do not present yourself as such.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2011, 07:11:02 AM »
look at it like this, there is a house near me. it appeared abandoned and most people though it was, it turns out that the owners just hadn't had a chance to sell it. when they did get the chance they realized that people had broken in to "look around" and destroyed the house. costing them thousands in damage. not all abandoned buildings are really abandoned.
Now you Max have given the impression of a responsible adult on these forums. Where as Nick has given the impression on multiple occasions of someone far less responsible. because of that if you where to say you explored an abandoned church, most would assumed you looked around which really isn't disrespectful, where as if Nick says he plans on breaking into a church (notice wording effects it too), he sounds like some punk with poor intent.

inb4 double standards, if you do not want to be looked at as someone less than respectable, do not present yourself as such.

i do agree but, something like 1 out of 10 trips ive had to break to enter the premises. ive never had to break a window and i wont go into any details but, its part of the territory of exploring what they want us to stay out of.

im very poor with words and writing most of the time, especially when i feel very strongly for a subject. i feel his pain after you tell him off. his choice of words may be off but, once at his destination he may choose to not break and enter. he may see a window open and crawl inside that way instead.

like i said, we bring the earth to hell and back to build a building. i see NO harm in kicking a door down or shattering a window. there is NO fun or challenge in this but, it is a way of getting to your goal. the idea of urban exploring is to pass through and observe what is happening. not to destroy what the earth is clearly capable of doing on her own.

if you want to trash an abandoned building because you can, dont. if you need to break a small window to open a door, fine just make sure you are safe and bring no harm to anyone or any living thing. just ALWAYS look for the least damaging way to enter for two reasons....

out of respect for the building and out of respect for the law. urban exploring is illegal, point blank, no discussion, get over it.

if you DONT want more trouble for yourself you wont break and enter.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
ALWAYS look for the least damaging way to enter for two reasons....

this