Author Topic: page scrolling buttons?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Ryan

• Patas
    • View Profile
page scrolling buttons?
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:02:59 AM »
When i first started using the forums, i was confused about how to switch pages within a thread, and still find it slightly weird that i have to click on a specific page # at the bottom to go to that page. I suggest a page scroll button (previous page, next page) to facilitate smoother and easier forum use.

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: page scrolling buttons?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
I second this. Furthermore, I think the "previous" and "next" links at the top and bottom of each page are a little misleading. My first thought was that those links are for the next, or previous, page in a thread, not the next thread. If the links were either "next thread" or "next page," I think that would clear a bit of ambiguity.
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Ryan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
I did the exact same thing too many times to count! more specificity would be nice.

Offline _Nick_

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • whaaaarrrrgabl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
if you look at the verrryy bottom of the page you see a link "Powered by SMF 1.1.5"

its a link to the comapny or whatever that makes these forum templates, which are written in a code called PHP, which i am learning the basicis of in school, but no tat this level quite yet...

anyway my point is that the page scrolling issue is part of the template of the forum that APK uses, not an option they can define, as far as I know. i dont think they can just fix it to be however they want, or i think they would have, that prev/next thing IS pretty misleading and frustrating. it would have to be changed as a feature of the template itself, by like an upgrade by Simple Machines or a new template layout etc...

thus is my understanding.

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid"

- Ilabaca

Offline Ryan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:48:11 AM »
I use many forums that have the same template, and they contain page scrolling buttons, and I know that they have some control over which buttons go where and how they are used.

Offline _Nick_

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • whaaaarrrrgabl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »
yeah seems reasonable, like i said, no expert but yeah. the majority of what ive used are by phpBB, and havent seen it much on them, but the one i use is an older version. eh. i guess well just have to deal with it for now.
"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid"

- Ilabaca

Offline Austin"Yoshi"

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:54:30 AM »
i agree to this i keep hitting the next page button and i keep wondering why they keep going so off topic lol