Author Topic: OMG holy hell This is next level  (Read 6088 times)

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
Re: OMG holy hell This is next level
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 11:47:01 PM »
I'm a sucker for any physical feats... So be quiet. Lmao

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »
I want to believe this is possible to some degree so hard. I'm definitely going to give it a go once the water warms up in my area. Their stuff is likely BS on getting like 10 "steps" but if I can even get only a small few like 3 it would be good enough for me.

The thing that really makes it fake for me more than anything else is their complete lack of explaining the technique of how do to this stuff. I think if you are starting a new sport/movement it would make sense that you at least explain the basics of how to perform it.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

turtlekarma

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 06:05:20 AM »
 :P

Offline Joe Gallet

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 06:25:29 AM »
simple physics.

the ability for us to run on land requires a normal force from the earth to push back on us. thus allowing us to press our legs against the ground and move forward. that creates a pressure between our feet and the ground.

water is non-compressable. simple fact. you just cant compress water. no matter how fast our little stick legs slam onto the the surface of the water without running like 70 mph or being like 150 lbs lighter, its is impossible.

boats dont compress water, they have air pockets that allow them to float on top of the water. it was a cute vid tho. sweet lookin shoes.

Offline Ryan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »
Air pockets do not keep a boat floating, you can make boats out of whatever, including concrete.  What keeps a boat floating is the shape of the boat, and the total density of the boat verses the density of the water.

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »
Air pockets do not keep a boat floating, you can make boats out of whatever, including concrete.  What keeps a boat floating is the shape of the boat, and the total density of the boat verses the density of the water.

You are both wrong, although density does play a part. What keeps a boat floating, is that it DISPLACES enough water to weigh more than what the boat weighs. The shape means nothing for the floating part, only for how efficiently it 'moves' through the water. A boat of concrete that weights 1000 lbs, has to displace > 1000 lbs of water, or it will sink. A boat floating on saltwater will have to displace fewer gallons than one floating on freshwater, as saltwater is denser, and therefore weighs more per gallon.

You, at, say 150 lbs, must displace at least 150 lbs of water for you to float. Which you do, but only barely. That's why you float just under the surface of the water.
"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
One of the most entertaining vids I've seen in a while, made me laugh. ;D
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
You are both wrong, although density does play a part. What keeps a boat floating, is that it DISPLACES enough water to weigh more than what the boat weighs. The shape means nothing for the floating part, only for how efficiently it 'moves' through the water. A boat of concrete that weights 1000 lbs, has to displace > 1000 lbs of water, or it will sink. A boat floating on saltwater will have to displace fewer gallons than one floating on freshwater, as saltwater is denser, and therefore weighs more per gallon.

You, at, say 150 lbs, must displace at least 150 lbs of water for you to float. Which you do, but only barely. That's why you float just under the surface of the water.

Thank you, for being the only person here who knows some basic physics. I was about to explode until I saw your post.

To make this concept work, a person would have to find a way to displace an amount of water, with a single step, about equal with their bodyweight. Considering the size of our feet versus our body mass, that's not possible. Of course, as speed is added, then it becomes more possible. The faster you throw a flat rock, the more skips it does. So, you would need some kind of constant velocity that would exceed the weight to water displacement ratio. And its more than we are capable of running.

I mean, lets think about barefoot wakeboarding. Some brief research on the internet tells me that an average weighted barefoot skier needs to be traveling 25mph for any kind of flotation.

So you need to achieve and sustain at least 25mph in order to travel on water in any manner other than a swift dunk.

Fun facts for the win.

But I love the creativity of this video.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »
Thank you, for being the only person here who knows some basic physics. I was about to explode until I saw your post.

Glad I was able to prevent that!!!! That would be messy!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:12:25 PM by FrostySTL »

APK Roof Police Member

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
I mean, lets think about barefoot wakeboarding. Some brief research on the internet tells me that an average weighted barefoot skier needs to be traveling 25mph for any kind of flotation.

So you need to achieve and sustain at least 25mph in order to travel on water in any manner other than a swift dunk.

At that point, however, you aren't actually "floating", you are "skimming". That is where the laws of physics for displacement are overridden by those dealing with surface tension. The water's surface acts like a barrier, because the angle at which your feet meet it is very low, due to your speed.

Did you know the atmosphere also has it's own surface tension, and if a spacecraft were to approach the earth at too flat of an angle, it would deflect or "skip" off into space, just like a stone off of water?

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Scott Drebus

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »
What keeps a boat floating, is that it DISPLACES enough water to weigh more than what the boat weighs.

Bernoulli's Principle, isn't it?

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »
Bernoulli's Principle, isn't it?

No, that deals with the movement of fluids/gasses. Displacement is under Archimedes' Principle.

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Scott Drebus

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
Ah.  It's been over a decade since I've had any science courses so I'm a bit rusty.

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 01:49:23 PM »
Ah.  It's been over a decade since I've had any science courses so I'm a bit rusty.

Google is your friend. I had to look up which principle it was myself, as it has been over 2 decades since I've had any science classes. But I enjoyed physics, so I remember what the principles are, just not the names. LOL

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
At that point, however, you aren't actually "floating", you are "skimming". That is where the laws of physics for displacement are overridden by those dealing with surface tension. The water's surface acts like a barrier, because the angle at which your feet meet it is very low, due to your speed.

Did you know the atmosphere also has it's own surface tension, and if a spacecraft were to approach the earth at too flat of an angle, it would deflect or "skip" off into space, just like a stone off of water?

This is true. I guess that's where the whole wakeboarding thing has to come into play, since that's definitely skimming.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »
Interesting watch. If this was real I'd be trying it RIGHT NOW.

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 03:30:51 PM »
If it was real, it would have been done a loooooong time ago.

APK Roof Police Member

Offline /shane/

• Mangabey
  • Parkour is......
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
It was. By the NINJAZ!!
A state of mind when you are performing a physical movement that is neither too simple or too complex. Your focus rules out all other mental processes, your mind has no time for words, worries, or distractions. There is only timing, spatial awareness, and the feeling of satisfaction as you land

longhillrocker

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 07:47:30 PM »
even though its not real its still intense and i know that we all wish it was actually possible

Offline Gage H.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »
i dont get why people say this isnt real, do your research people, liquid mountaineering is a real sport. this vid isnt an ad or a fake, people actually do this crap.

Never confuse what is impossible...with what hasn't been done... yet.
-Ryan Doyle