Author Topic: Diet Soda?  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
Diet Soda?
« on: September 28, 2006, 03:37:52 PM »
I usually drink a diet soda (rarely two) in a day with my dinner

Is it bad for you?

Alot of people say the sugar supplament(sp?) tears your liver to peices but it's sweetened with citric acid so I have no idea

Also i drink alot of water in one day so that is no problem

Gearsighted

Re: Diet Soda?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:34:19 PM »
No, one or two diet sodas a day won't do you any harm, especially if you drink plenty of water.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:56:13 PM »
Yay!!! ;D thanks Gear ;D

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:54:22 PM »
Just watch out for Aspartame.  Splenda is in my opinion the best tasting substitute but I'm not sure about healthwise.

Offline Jumpin Jiminy

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 08:26:18 AM »
Nutrasweet was developed as an ant neuropoison - I'm going to go kill that ant hill in the yard tonight.
I stopped drinking/eating anything with artificial sweeteners and completely stopped all sodas and cafeine.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 04:15:35 PM »
Yea i only drink soda with citric acid so those should be no problem. I think thats what splenda uses but im not sure ???

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 04:42:07 PM »
Diet sodas aren't really that good for you. Believe it or not, the non-diet ones are alot healthier than diet ones (surprised me, too). I just don't want to go into any detail as to why, but that's the truth. So when I drink soda, I drink the no-diet ones.

Just watch out for Aspartame.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 04:46:12 PM »
Why? I'm not saying that i don't belive you just give me a reason

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 10:17:40 AM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Aspartame has been the subject of a vigorous public controversy regarding its safety and the circumstances around its approval. Some studies have also recommended further investigation into connections between aspartame and diseases such as brain tumors, brain lesions, low sperm count and lymphoma. These findings, combined with notable conflicts of interest in the approval process, have engendered vocal activism regarding the possible risks of aspartame

My geography teacher also explained to the class about that, too. Good thig I really never had alot of diet sodas, or something like THAT would happen to me.

(No I am NOT paranoid, just cautious).

Gearsighted

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 10:53:22 AM »
I just don't want to go into any detail as to why, but that's the truth.

Sounds like solid evidence to me...

Sorry, but piles of sugar consumed in liquid form isn't good at all. Are we meant to ingest a chemical substitute? No...but it may very well be much better than the insulin resistance, diabetes, obesity and heart-disease that we cause with our over-consumption of sugar. Aspartame probably has a toxic threshold...but guess what...so does water, oxygen, food, etc. A handful of sodas a week...I highly doubt that's anything to get too worried about ;)

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 11:39:23 AM »
But the thing is is that there's alot of controversy about aspertame, and other things. Not to mention the coincidence that happens to people when they intake alot of it into their bodies. And sugar is needed for your body to function properly, just not too much of it. In my opinion, a can of soda every few days isn't bad for you.

Gearsighted

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 02:08:26 PM »
But the thing is is that there's alot of controversy about aspertame, and other things. Not to mention the coincidence that happens to people when they intake alot of it into their bodies

Controversy and truth aren't necessarily the same thing. The important thing to ensure in intelligent discourse the appropriateness of your sources. Without that, you can dig up any random information at any time to prove anything.

As for needing sugar, that isn't necessarily true. Carbohydrates aren't an essential nutrient in the way outdated nutrition science would have you think. Add to this the fact that refined sugars (most-especially high-fructose corn syrup) are as worthless as they come, and you have a pretty good reason to use that "not too bad once or twice a week" excuse for something without the added sugar that would only top off the over-abundance of the modern diet. In a perfect world, you would be drinking only water, but for something a little different, artificially sweetened soft-drinks might be a relatively healthy alternative.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 04:32:24 PM »
Yea since this thread ive cut back on the diet soda to around on every other day

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 05:49:22 PM »
Carbs are "relatively" essential and the best ones to get are definitely low glycemic index ones (brown rice, whole wheat stuff, etc.). The liver makes glucose for the brain to use directly. Unless you want to be on the Atkins diet of some sort, you need at least some carbs in your diet. High amounts of ketosis without a lot of hydration will start screwing around with your liver and kidneys. Same with a high amount of protein.

Artificial sugars and processed sugars (high fructose corn syrup) are crap. Better to have natural ones from fruit and such if you are going to eat any at all.

And I say this as I drink my sprite soda...
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Gearsighted

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 06:05:52 PM »
Unless you want to be on the Atkins diet of some sort, you need at least some carbs in your diet.

Exactly the point...if ther is any sort of "unless" involved, it means that they aren't absolutely necessary...but we're getting off topic. A handful of diet sodas each week won't hurt you, and they may be more beneficial than a regular soda full of worthless sugar. All things in moderation...even moderation.

Offline Jumpin Jiminy

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »
I too beleive that the diet sodas are better for you than the high glycemic sugar filled sodas.
Also, I used to drink the diet sodas --- a lot  --- like 6 or more each day.
They are probably not so bad in moderation, a couple a week, but the problem with them is that they taste good and tend to make you thirstier than just water and I got cravings for more and more.  I've heard similar from other diet soda drinkers.
I wonder what the numbers are for average sodas drank by diet vs. non-diet soda drinkers are.
I would expect to hear that the diet soda crowd drinks twice as many.  I know I did.
Anybody care to tell us how many you drink of which kind daily/weekly?

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 12:00:43 PM »
@ Jumpin Jiminy:  I have like one diet soda a month.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 05:01:29 PM »
i was thinking more and more about this and while yea things like aspartame may be linked to all of those things, Sugar, carbohydrates, sodium, etc have been linked to so many more so i am not so worried

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »
I'm satisfied with water and milk.  Mmmmmmmmmm.... Naturally delicious  ;D
"Empty your mind,
Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow, or it can crash,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee