Author Topic: Has Parkour lost meaning?  (Read 13538 times)

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Has Parkour lost meaning?
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2005, 04:02:05 PM »
What Sebastien does looks like parkour as defined by DB to me, what he preaches and teaches sounds like something else.
Right, and thats what i was poking around at. I'm going to say its the language barrier, because if you read what his site says carefully, you'll start to see similarities. He claims to be the "co-founder" of parkour because he put his time and effort into creating and perfecting the philosophy part of parkour. With all due respect, i don't see this as grounds for giving him such an exclusive title... but i can see why people do. either way, i just wanted to clear that up so people didn't think he just gave himself that title because he knew David at one point.

I listen to my brother talk about philosophy all the time, that doesn't make me a philosopher, but i do see what seb is saying in a much different light than some people. Instead of talking about "overcomming obstacles," he talks about being "fluid like water" which implies the overcomming of the obstacle, but also how it is overcome.
His site is attributed towards expanding on what parkour means to different people with different views on life. He Talks about parkour, and he doesn't give it a different definition, rather he talks about what your mind goes through while doing it. And think about it, if he practices what he preaches, saying "What Sebastien does looks like parkour as defined by DB to me" should pretty much sum up that his way and David's way are the same, its just what they are thinking while doing it that is different. David may think about getting to one place as quickly as possible, while Seb thinks about attaining as much positive energy... but Seb does that by getting to one place as quickly as possible. (not claiming to know what they think about while doing parkour)

Would you agree that actions speak louder than words? If so, I think they are very much the same, just different wording by two very different minded people.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2005, 05:40:41 PM »
Double post because this wont go anywhere if i keep hearing the same thing. My initial questions were:

Why is Free-running different now, than it was when Seb attatched it to "parkour" as an English synonym?  If it evolved, then why and who (what organization or individual) initiated the evolution?

Will someone PLEASE answer my question that ive been asking through these pages.

Gearsighted

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2005, 05:46:27 PM »
The term evolved because a large majority of the Parkour population decided to use the term to describe Parkour+acrobatics,etc...the nature of language is such that, as certain usages of words become popular, they change in their meaning. Take the term "cool". When I say that Skipper is a cool guy, I don't mean that is temperature is in some way lower than mine. Over time, popular usage of the word cool has changed its potential meaning. The same goes for freerunning. It was a convenient term to describe "almost, but not quite Parkour with other stuff" and thus it has stuck.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »
::exhale::

ok, I understand now, thats all i wanted to know! haha.
while talking to gear on AIM, he said:

"but for the issue of explanation and classification, I like using Parkour and Freerunning as two different things, and here's why...
 When I am talking about Parkour, I am trying to convey my sense of the philosophy, the art that affects all aspects of your life
 Freerunning, on the other hand, is the physical motion, when I talk to the football coach at Woodberry about using this as a    training method, it is freerunning
 it doesn't involve teaching the kids all the philosophy, mostly just using the movements as a strength and conditioning aid
 it is further facilitated by the fact that Parkour comes off to most people as strange, it's a French word, which doesn't help it at all
 I think that along these lines, Freerunning explains it rather well, it's not just running, but you are free to take the path you want
 but it makes it easier to explain the basic mechanics to normal people
 but by denying the philosophical aspect, I am talking about something a bit different than what I love and practice"

Thank you gear, all is understood now. But lets look at the real question here, "has parkour lost its meaning?"

Hhahah, no seriously, no need to discuss further.

And I tried to say this whenever i said something that could be taken in the wrong context, but I was really just lookin for that one answer. I wasnt trying to offend anyone, and i hope nobody felt as if i was attacking (I assume someone did because i got smited in the process of this conversation)... sorry if you did, i was just trying to get correct information about this topic. thanks to anyone who contributed useful information!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 06:09:37 PM by Skipper »

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2005, 06:42:56 PM »
there should be like a summary of key conclusions arrived at through this thread... ;)

Gearsighted

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2005, 06:52:59 PM »
OUCH! Sorry about your smite...I applauded you to make up for it :D Good show!

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »
hahah thanks gear, that makes me feel a LITTLE better  :'(

Conclusion: Freerunning only exists as you are moving north in a city, move anyother direction, it is called FRPK.

hahaha, na ill read through the thread and pick out the points tomorrow, im kinda tired now.

Parkourdan

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2005, 07:16:23 PM »
pardon my mispelling...

i don't have the accented e, but would it be fair to say that parkour would therefore be an aspect of hebertisme?

No problem. The 'r' was more important then the 'é' .. =P .. Its pronounced George EH-BEAR or EH-BEAR-TISS-MUH .. English people like to say, HER-BERT since it rolls off the tongue better in english and is easier.
Parkour can be called a branch of Hébertisme .. a very specific/expanded apon one.

I think the reason or one there of .. that David/Pawa dropped the use of the word Freerunning is because of how Seb sorta.. 'changed the viewpoint' of Parkour in Jumplondon/Britain and what he was doing on the side and leading upto it. It was turning more into this freedom/exercise thing .. then a purposeful training method. Parkour is not some game you practice at and then get good enough to go parade around doing shows and trying to sell the art.. blah blah.. It wasnt meant to be this and I think this got them a bit upset. Not that David is going to put you down if you do it properly.. the way he speaks of the Yam in his earlier videos shows much respect even though they were with him in the begining. Not everyone has the same paths, and David understood that even in the early days of what Parkour was...

So why should this word english people were learning be associated with Davids? No reason for it to be and the discipline wasnt being translated properly .. So drop it completely.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2005, 08:06:11 PM »
Im just going to go with what gear told me ^^ and cease to think about it any longer, haha. But thanks for the further clarification Danno!!  :D

Steez

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2005, 09:36:46 PM »
Parkour has lost its meaning:
1. People do too many flips & such
2. Some people are stubborn about flips being parkour
3. Misinformed new guys want to make parkour an extreme sport
4. More people will always equal lost meaning. It happens in everything in life... Parkour is no exception.
5. The fact that this discussion is taking place indicates some loss of meaning somewhere
6. Language barrier is going to cause loss of meaning between practitioners and groups.

Parkour has meaning:
1. It’s fun
2. Helps one to escape urban restrictions
3. Still useful, therefore meaningful
4. Parkour is still about overcoming obstacles
5. Enough ‘old guys’ to keep the meaning of parkour alive and to spread it to the newbs
6. Vids are a place to ‘show off’ without tampering with the meaning of parkour
7. The fact that this discussion is taking place indicates that there is still meaning left
8. Parkour has a philosophy, especially Taoist, this is proof that meaning still remains.

Extraneous yet related points:
1. With research, people will discover the true meaning of parkour
2. Spellcheck=the parkour of posting in forums
3. David Belle, as translated by Danno says flips aren’t parkour, but they are fun (paraphrased)
4. Too many terms (parkour, freerunning, frpk, 3run) what does each mean? Synonyms? Especially, does freerunning equal parkour? (extensive arguments given for both sides, including points on seb’s words, language barrier, and freerunning’s lingual affinity to freestyle parkour.)
5. Language changes over time
6. Parkour has some roots in hebertisme

This list can be edited at any time.  mods, you have my blessing to do this.

My final personal conclusion: Parkour has meaning.

Strongest argument supporting this side: This discussion’s existence, a positive argument could not be maintained for 3+ pages without meaning.

hope this is useful...

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2005, 06:33:42 PM »
^^ nice  ;D
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline SovXietday

• Legend
  • Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2005, 07:59:41 PM »
*Thumbs up*

Good job! I would have like to contribute to this thread, but my life at the moment is all work and no play (literally).
"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
www.crossfit.com

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »
Alot of people who do flips know to call it free running instead of parkor.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »
This is the oldest freaking thread in the world...  Why was it bumped?
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline james2610

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2008, 07:33:25 AM »
well doing flips is part of free-running and 'tricking' not parkour. And i agree that if anyone considers flips to do with parkour is wrong....because PK involves moving one place to another in the quickest way possible, and doing flips doesnt really help

shadow1234

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 01:36:58 PM »
I love PK....I do it every chance I get. and on the sad days when it's raining I watch PK video...and i see these guys doing flips and backflips & gainers. Now, I AM very impressed with these people but I just can't seem to find a justification for flips in Parkour. I belive that the point is to get from point A to point B using special trained moves to not only reduce time but also to have a GREAT freakin time! It seems like flips are only to impress people. but the true meaning of parkour is your experssion of freedom in a constricting Urban area. any else feel the same?

Sorry to be so blunt but this topic is very old, has been covered thousands of times, and can easily be answered by reading the FAQs on the American Parkour main site. With that, welcome to the forums.