Author Topic: Anyway to speed up recovery?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Anyway to speed up recovery?
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:45:31 PM »
First off my name is mike and I’m new to the whole parkour thing, I find it really interesting and haven’t really started into training because its currently J.V football season and I haven’t had too much time for anything because of our extremely long practices, I’ve been drilling rolls and basic landings etc. and hoped to start as soon as the football season ended, now to my question, yesterday during our football game against Miramar about three defenders making a tackle all fell on my left leg while i was standing up blocking someone ( I play center) and as they came down my foot buckled under the weight and I heard a snap and felt it around to the left of my shin, i got up and my leg just didn’t feel right as I tried to walk on it so I limped to the sideline and the trainer checked it out and said it was possibly broken or something with the ligament or tendon and i had to sit there as my team got crushed 38 -0 (i was injured 12 plays into the first quarter) ,i have heard about R.I.C.E and attempted to enact as many elements of the acronym as possible but it was hard as there was very limited bench space, i was able to ice it and keep off it but that’s about it, it didnt hurt too bad at first but then the outside ball of the ankle swelled up to a bit smaller than tennis ball size , I went to the hospital after the game and they x-rayed it , I was told the bone is not broken but it may be a tendon or ligament issue, and that I was to stay off it for 2 days and continuously ice it and if it got better then it is just a really bad sprain but if the pain persisted then I would have to get an MRI to find out what it is, I’m on crutches and its fine for now I’m still in the two day waiting period and i cant stand not being able to play and just having the feeling that I’m letting down my team, it feels as though I’m trapped in a fragile vessel called a body and I want to heal up and get back to playing as soon as possible, so my question is that I wanted to know if there is anything I can do in order to accelerate the recovery process or if you have any advice or insight on what the injury may be as i still dont know.

Offline Strydzz

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Anyway to speed up recovery?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
I am getting through a very serious foot injury right now. I dislocated my foot and shattered the top of it, I also tore every ligament in my foot. I had to have major surgery, and I felt trapped in my own body, bc my mind was telling me I needed out and to keep training, but in all reality, I was not physically able to do so. It sux to be down, but the best way to a speedy recovery is giving your body the time it needs to be 100%. It is hard to just sit on the sidelines, but in the long run, it will be better than getting on on your foot too early. If you don't listen to your body, you are asking for further injury, and you don't want that! Religiously follow the R.I.C.E. concept, it is the best thing for you at this point. You have already heard what the docs have to say, so do what they see fit for your case, thats the best advice I can give you. The rest is up to you, in the end its your choice on what you do, but think it through and listen to your body, it won't fail you!! So good luck, and I hope you are back on your feet soon!
I live in the now, tomorrow does't exist to me. I live to die happy.