Author Topic: Meal Skipping Question  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Dan Shoupe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Meal Skipping Question
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »
I've been trying to eat less recently and only eat when I'm actually hungry. Turns out, I'm usually not too hungry in the morning, I just liked the taste of cereal. So I stopped eating breakfast. When I mentioned this to my friend, she said that this was a bad idea because eating breakfast reminds your metabolism to wake up and by not eating it, I was doubling the calories of the sandwich I was eating for lunch.

This sounded kind of far fetched to me (Actual Thoughts: That's bull shit.)

Still, it's not something I really know about and it's not in my nature to totally invalidate someone else's statements just because they don't sound correct. For all I know, she could be right. So I need to know, is there anything detrimental about skipping breakfast or any other meal for that matter?

Thanks
Difficulty is only a lack of familiarity with something. Become acquainted with what is difficult and it will cease to be so.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Meal Skipping Question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
I've been trying to eat less recently and only eat when I'm actually hungry. Turns out, I'm usually not too hungry in the morning, I just liked the taste of cereal. So I stopped eating breakfast. When I mentioned this to my friend, she said that this was a bad idea because eating breakfast reminds your metabolism to wake up and by not eating it, I was doubling the calories of the sandwich I was eating for lunch.

This sounded kind of far fetched to me (Actual Thoughts: That's bull shit.)

Still, it's not something I really know about and it's not in my nature to totally invalidate someone else's statements just because they don't sound correct. For all I know, she could be right. So I need to know, is there anything detrimental about skipping breakfast or any other meal for that matter?

Thanks

No, the body will not enter starvation mode after a single skipped meal.

Offline Dan Shoupe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think so. I just didn't want to negate her input without any backup. Thanks!
Difficulty is only a lack of familiarity with something. Become acquainted with what is difficult and it will cease to be so.

JDD

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 03:54:31 PM »
I'm wrong, lol
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:23:40 PM by JDD »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
Skipping meals will lower your metabolism, especially breakfast.

This is entirely false and unsupported through scientific literature.

JDD

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »
You're right, had to look it up. My nutrition teacher and wellness teacher lied to me.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
You're right, had to look it up. My nutrition teacher and wellness teacher lied to me.

Happens all the time.  Not lies tho, myths.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
While this myth may be fake, I find that when I eat breakfast my body doesn't MIND skipping lunch or dinner as much. Maybe it helps me way up for school, maybe it fills me up more, I don't really know why. That's just me, though.

My Health teacher lied to me, too. Our videos also featured badly dressed boys with mullets.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
I cant go outside unless I eat breakfast. A bowl of cereal or some toaster waffles and a cup of orange juice wake me up like no other.
I always tell my friend he's a p**** or an idiot for taking energy supplements (at age 14) instead of doing what i do...eat breakfast with some healthy sugars and when waiting for the bus i like to go out a little earlier and run a little.
he also wants to become a traceur, but honestly...i think i'm progressing a lot more, just from coming on here, looking at tutorials, and doing exercises, all he does is conditioning (as do i) and then he brags how awesomely he can climb a tree
/rant
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

wlf

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 03:33:31 PM »
Our videos also featured badly dressed boys with mullets.
dually noted.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
I cant go outside unless I eat breakfast. A bowl of cereal or some toaster waffles and a cup of orange juice wake me up like no other.
I always tell my friend he's a p**** or an idiot for taking energy supplements (at age 14) instead of doing what i do...eat breakfast with some healthy sugars and when waiting for the bus i like to go out a little earlier and run a little.
he also wants to become a traceur, but honestly...i think i'm progressing a lot more, just from coming on here, looking at tutorials, and doing exercises, all he does is conditioning (as do i) and then he brags how awesomely he can climb a tree
/rant

All sugar is broken down into the same thing.  There's no such thing as good or bad sugars, there's just sugar.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
i meant a sugar as in a fruit sugar as opposed to chocolate, obviously the fruit would be better for you
Shut up and Train

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
i meant a sugar as in a fruit sugar as opposed to chocolate, obviously the fruit would be better for you

Mmm, nope they're pretty much both the same.  The difference is that most fruits contain fructose or glucose, while chocolate will contain sucrose, which is just glucose and fructose bonded together.  Sucrase, an enzyme produced by the body, turns it into fructose and glucose.

The benefits fruit has over chocolate is the higher quantity of vitamins and minerals, also fiber and water.  And typically a piece of fruit will have less total sugar than is in a bar of chocolate.  It hardly has anything to do with the type of sugar, just the amount and other stuff thrown in.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 05:34:22 PM »
oh, thank you for explaining that ;D
Shut up and Train

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 10:33:07 PM »
While this myth may be fake, I find that when I eat breakfast my body doesn't MIND skipping lunch or dinner as much. Maybe it helps me way up for school, maybe it fills me up more, I don't really know why. That's just me, though.

Yeah - its totally a preference thing.  Personally, I perform MUCH better in the morning on my strength workouts before I have eaten any food.  When I was in the swing of things I wouldn't eat for about 14 hours before workouts.

Some people thrive on that, others flounder.  Gotta just experiment! :)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:10 AM »
Note that if you are going through particularly stressing times (job, school/exams, etc.) then it is not advisable to workout while fasted. It can put you down even further.

Otherwise, have at it.

Meal skipping only tends to work better if you're on an already healthy diet though. So eat healthy.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Dan Shoupe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 02:23:02 PM »
Yeah, I don't control the money flow atm so I don't buy/cook the food. I suppose I eat healthier than most ppl though. Not much soda or snackage. Still, I eat stuff that isn't made with health in mind, but I try to eat it in moderation. Once I get into college and get to buy my own food I'm gonna be set.

Anyway, I seem to do much better with my workouts when I haven't eaten anything significant for the last 8 hours (15 is a bit much for me).

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
Yea, it really is all about what your body is comfortable with. If I try to eat anything within the first 2 hours after I wake up, I have to gag it down. I just don't like eating in the morning. For many years, I also only ate 1 very large meal every day, at lunchtime. It was what my body got used to when I was broke, and couldn't afford any more than that. After I got a real job that actually paid, I didn't really see a point in changing. I have recently switched to 2 smaller meals a day, but I'm trying to lose a little body fat, and this gives me more control of how many calories I eat.

There are also 2 different "diet systems" out there at war (for your money) with each other, and they say things that just confuse people. Eating to "get healthier" is not the same as eating "to lose weight". They frequently mask one as the other, and all it does is rob the gullible.

My point here, is you have to be really careful what advise you listen to. Some of it may be great, for someone with a completely different lifestyle than what you have. So it won't work for you. People make eating a lot more complicated that it really needs to be.

It boils down to this...
Eat good stuff to help you be healthy.
If you are gaining weight, and don't want to: eat less of it.
If you are losing weight, and don't want to: eat more of it.
Otherwise, keep eating the same amount.

"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »
but then when you can eat all day and you dont gain weight, what do you do? my fricken metabolism is retardedly high...

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
but then when you can eat all day and you dont gain weight, what do you do? my fricken metabolism is retardedly high...

Starting Strength, gallon of milk/day, and steak, lots of steak.