Author Topic: Flax Seed Capsules  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Flax Seed Capsules
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:58:50 PM »
My dad takes them often.  Would it be a good thing for me to take as well?  I know it has a lot of Omega 3 which is really goog for you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:04:07 PM by ek2 »

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Flax Seed Capsules
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 04:06:50 PM »
I don't think it's a good idea to take any capsules, because you already get enough that you don't need any supplements (i.e. the capsules). The reason as to why your dad may take them is because he doesn't have enough Omega 3 in his body (or at least that's why my dad takes calcium supplements).

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:54:54 PM »
I just put flax seeds on my cereal. They're pretty good.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Kaliastrih

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »
I used to mix them with OJ, pretty good too.

Offline grrlreloaded

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:08:32 PM »
If you want to make sure you're getting enough omega 3, you could take capsules, or you could eat more of the following: flax seeds, walnuts, fish, soy, winter squashes (like pumpkin, etc...)

And if you're going to do that, you might as well look into omega 6 as well ... a quick internet search mentioned a recommended ratio of 3:1 or 5:1 (omega 6 to omega 3).  Sources of omega 6 include whole grains, vegetable oils, eggs, poultry.

Your body can create omega 9, so don't worry about that one.  ;)

Offline Kaliastrih

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 07:57:01 PM »
What is Omega 3/6 for though? I mixed flax seeds with juice mainly cuz my sister said it was good for you, but I never really knew the actual reason.

Gearsighted

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 03:06:48 PM »
Flax seeds and flax oil is not optimum. I would suggest a good fish oil supplement as essential for every single person. The problem with flax is that the composition of the fatty acids require that they be broken down and resynthesized into DHA and EPA, which are the two essential fatty acids that you're looking for. This is an issue because your body isn't that great at this process, so you are getting far less total "good fats" than you would otherwise. Also, research is beginning to show that consumption of the shorter chain n-3 FA's can actually up regulate the inflamatory effects that you are trying to reduce through Omega-3 consumption in the first place, which seems to suggest that flax-oil does even less good than it would otherwise with its shoddy fatty-acid profile.