Author Topic: A Bad Parkour Environment  (Read 7852 times)

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
A Bad Parkour Environment
« on: September 27, 2006, 01:23:22 PM »
This has been bugging me, ever since I moved. Around where I live now, there isn't much for parkour. I'm still an amateur, so I thought I would need more of simple obstacles (i.e. fences, short walls, etc). But because that I hardly have enough obstacles, I don't know what I could do to train.

And it's not only where I live, but almost EVERYWHERE here in this city. If you need me to, I could get some photos of the environment around here, so you could give me some tips. But what advice at the moment could you give me about this problem?

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
Re: A Bad Parkour Environment
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 02:00:51 PM »
There has been alot of these types of threads. Do you live in or near a town? Do you live near or in woods? Get some pictures.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:11:42 PM »
I'll try to get some as soon as possible. Just give me some time, I'll have some by the weekend. Besides, I have to wait for my mom to come back from vacation, since she has the camera.

Offline Kyle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
My town is the same way, the only place I can do anything is on rooftops or at the schools, other than that it is either just cars, houses, and open road.

Offline RuKuS

• Guenons
  • "Death Before Dishonor"
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 03:50:29 AM »
i was like that for around 3 months before i realized what wood, screws and a drill could do ;)

not only building things, but find some stuff. we were using barrels, ropes, pipes (welding clas pays off) and other things we found in the woods down the road from my old house. we also found two halves of a hot tub (the woods used to be a trash dump) to practice kings and other distant vaults on.

when you find an environment to practice on, your limited to what is already built and your imagination. when you build your own area, you know whats there, your imagination helped build it, and you odnt have to worry about people telling you to get of their property...
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen, and thinking what no one else has thought.

Offline Potato

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:21:21 PM »
ya, i have a question about that, how do you get on the roof tops
hi, ill work on this when im not in college lol

Ace

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:31:42 PM »
Climb, pop vault (if is low enough), cat leap, just to name a few.

Offline Potato

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »
can u explain some of the moves
hi, ill work on this when im not in college lol

Offline bobbshields

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 07:26:33 AM »
I'm still an amateur, so I thought I would need more of simple obstacles (i.e. fences, short walls, etc). But because that I hardly have enough obstacles, I don't know what I could do to train.

If you're still a noob, then i think that getting on rooftops would be a very bad idea.  I've been training with some friends for about a month now, and mostly we work on strengthening our bodies (mostly legs) and getting an idea of how to fall properly. 

I train in trash dumps (there's one with an awesome brick wall around it), in parking decks, at city hall.  There's a pretty cool park that we run at, and its got lots of downed trees.  There's a spot there, kinda out of the way, where there is an excellent hill for jumping down.  It provides soft ground, so we can jump from a fair height and learn how to fall, compress and roll.

I haven't even put the first thought towards getting on a rooftop.  That'll be a year or two for me.  I suggest you look a little harder for what's available on the ground.
May your life be filled
with many obstacles

Offline Blarg

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My 'Space
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 07:31:31 AM »
At least you're not in a desert or something...
AIM me if you're near Chester, VA n wanna train...
Me: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/the_blarg_ninja/100_2701.jpg
Now stop asking.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 08:03:18 AM »
Someone just showed me a video where a guy takes something as simple as a single handrail, and just works it in every way possible that he can think of. You don't really need alot of obstacles to drill your parkour skills. Check this out. This is an excellent example of how to approach this issue.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TawZ9ExB9I0

Offline BloodStallion

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »
At least you're not in a desert or something...

unfortunately... I am. im in Lake havasu AZ... its not super big and i havent found any good spots yet... i will post some pics when i get the chance

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »
Check out Jereme Sanders' "Unconventional Training Grounds" articles. http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/2683/1/ here's the latest.

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »
i have an idea, get ur dad to build u a hand rail out back or where ever, and make it real dense of handrails so u can practice on the whole area and not just one spot. :D thats what i got my dad to do lol
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline Shane Warren

• Guenons
  • Text is inert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 08:56:04 PM »
You really just have to make sue with what you have unless you have the resources to build obstacles.
ask cyanide soda here in Kentucky there really aren't that many urban areas close to most people i train alot in the woods occasionally i can catch a ride down to MSU campus
Pain lasts for a few minutes.
Quitting is forever.

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 09:11:41 PM »
No trees?
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »
ya, i have a question about that, how do you get on the roof tops

Don't. It's dangerous and illegal.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline edgey

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »
I came to realize that a rail was a gift from god ;)

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
I came to realize that a rail was a gift from god
A single rail offers unlimited possibilities.  And it will get your basics down.

JC*

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 10:15:16 AM »
This has been bugging me, ever since I moved. Around where I live now, there isn't much for parkour. I'm still an amateur, so I thought I would need more of simple obstacles (i.e. fences, short walls, etc). But because that I hardly have enough obstacles, I don't know what I could do to train.

And it's not only where I live, but almost EVERYWHERE here in this city. If you need me to, I could get some photos of the environment around here, so you could give me some tips. But what advice at the moment could you give me about this problem?

Sounds to me as if you have not seen TK's video "pilgrimage". He demonstrates that open roads and clear spaces are the most neglected of all obstacles. I recommend the viewing of that video bud. As stated a single rail is a great place to train. Maybe its not the enviornment but instead your personal view on the obstacles around you.