Author Topic: Training, play and exploration.  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Training, play and exploration.
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
Training, Play and Exploration.

Another look at training and disciplines of movements.

Training, and play definition by Dictionary.com
train·ing [trey-ning]

1. the education, instruction, or discipline of a person or thing that is being trained: He's in training for the Olympics.
2. the status or condition of a person who has been trained:athletes in top training.

I think we can all agree that training requires dedication, discipline, hard work and a good amount of sweat and pain. As a practitioner of movement, adventure seeker and instructor, I also understand that there will be a lot of failing before one succeeds. For it is this training that will aid on the development of skills to avoid failure and grant success.

Training; mental and physical, is a indispensable part of our development as traceurs(euses), freerunners, or whatever discipline of movement of your like. Hard training is essential if you seek a high level of proficiency and comfort. With so many different exercises AND activities that could be categorize under training. I suppose it is all about how you really look at it.

Many of us have probably spend an nice evening, out and about the streets of our neighborhood, following a training structure or planning gauntlets and routes as we go. Some even dreading at the idea of continuing on. It is not until two to three hours have gone by that we call it quits.

Your immediate reward, a sore and exhausted body. Heavy feet and a pretty light head. Yet it is the feeling within, that sensation which makes us feel like we actually stepped away from everything and invested time on ourselves and our physical development. That is the reward which I enjoy the most.

So, while we should regularly set a time aside for serious and dedicated training, it should never feel like its something you must do, but rather something you want to do.

However, there are times when going to the gym, working out or even getting out might sounds like a task to have to accomplish. Some times "training" just "gets old". Not much motivation, no drive.

We hearing all the time;
"I lost my motivation to train"
"How can I change my training?"

So then, why train, when you can play?

play [pley]

3. exercise or activity for amusement or recreation.
 8. an act or instance of playing or of doing something
14. action, activity, or operation
18. Freedom of movement within a space,
19. freedom for action, or scope for activity

It's been a while now since I changed my "training regimen" to mostly playing. My training use to consist on 3 to 4 days a week of Crossfit, Parkour and some acrobatics. The occasional hike and swim. But for the most part my training was more "time consuming". I had to plan for it, fit it within a certain time frame etc. After a while I sort of stepped away from training. I just got lazy, didn't really have much motivation to train. However I kept on enjoying the activities my friends and I do around the island, while still holding jams a couple times a month.   

The 2009 holidays kicked in, and with no jams being planned at HIpk it wasn't until the Hawaii National Jam in Feb that I actually did some parkour training. Believing I had regressed in my training, the satisfaction kicked in when I felt lighter, faster and stronger. I remember getting over this one obstacle with such ease, same obstacle that once was very difficult for me and even left a few scratches on my flesh..

See, my friends and I play very often. We come up with ideas on how to make the best of our weeks. It would usually involve a hike, or rock climbing, kayaking or snorkeling. Flips at random and yoga at the beach. Maybe some cliff jumping, or even "ghost exploring".

All of thiese activities, while amusing and recreational, they demand continuous physical effort from the body. Try exploring a trail several miles long. A trail you have have never seen, or one you enjoy for its rewarding view or scenery. Maybe some falls you can jump from. Then trail run it all the way down, focusing on each step as you leap and bounce over the roots and rocks covering the terrain beneath your feet.

I'm sure that the result from the playing on this scenario, or any of the other out door activities will have a beneficial effect on your cardio, coordination, strength, skill development etc. Which will reflect in your training.

While I still train for the purpose of pure training, I believe that play is as important for your physical, mental and spiritual health. A distraction from our must do tasks, a time for our selves and what we really enjoy. Maybe there are other activities of interest that will relate in benefit to the specific discipline you already enjoy training for.

Playing will not only being joy and pleasure but will keep you curious and eager to explore.

ex·plo·ra·tion [ek-spluh-rey-shuhn]

1. an act or instance of exploring or investigating; examination
2. the investigation of unknown regions

Exploration is such a natural and instinctive behavior we have carried with us since the beginning of life. Our lives.

Explore like a child.

Curiosity leads to alternates routes in our lives. Exploration allows us to have experiences that will open our eyes to other perspectives, a different view. Exploration of any kind can be enlightening and very rewarding. Exploring your surroundings will allow you for more play, a different way to looking at your physical development and skill training.

And I'm not talking about go and start training MovNat or any discipline in particular. I not talking about going on a hike and blast through it up and down as fast as you can.

This would obviously be more fun on a natural setting, but explore what most pleases you. Maybe playing "Dance Dance Revolution" is your choice for cardio and coordination.

Go out for a walk, enjoy every step, every leap, see where it leads. Maybe there is a mountain that have not been explore much. One you have not been to. Take a drive to a random area of town away from everything and explore, walk, climb, jump. Just play more, seek more, explore more.   

Take every step in the moment and every opportunity in life for what it is. Live embracing what you already have and everything that earth and life has to offer you. That includes exploring the earth with a different vision in mind. Being part of its natue. For every exploration not only you get the experience, or the physical reward but a lesson to be learn.

Some people say "Live life" well that sounds a bit too boring so I think besides living it, we might as well explore it.

Dedicated to my dearest closest friend, "The three Musketeers". Those who have left a print and all of you who inspire me.

Thanks for reading.

Ozzi Quintero.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Training, play and exploration.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
My favorite has always been a combination of training, play, and exploration [at the same time]. Thanks for writing that, Ozzi.

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »
This belongs in like some sort of Suggested Reading sub forum or something

I really enjoyed reading this Ozzi.
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:02:16 AM »
Thanks  ;D
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi