Author Topic: Getting discouraged  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Greeeg the squiiirrel

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
Getting discouraged
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:24:11 PM »
I have peen practicing parkour for a little over a year (I started last april). I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a large variety of things to practice on. There is this one wall that I always practice on, it is about 10' tall. Recently, for the life of me, I can barely ever reach the top. Last year I was able to do it pretty easy, and my two friends that started training months after I did can get up the wall every single time. I have no idea why I am the only one struggling, and it just kills me to go practice with them because they have gotten so much better at basic things that I should be nailing by now. I have stayed fit, I feel just as capable as I did last year, but I can't kong a picnic table anymore, and I only made it up the wall 4/25 tries a few days ago.

Any ideas about why my progress might be backtracking?
Heck with drugs and alcohol. I get high off exercise. Feel those endorphins pump.
We all come from the same place, all trying to get to point B.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26135.msg317244.html#msg317244

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Getting discouraged
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »
Were you practicing frequently enough? You can forget moves if you stop practicing.

If you don't have a lot of stuff to vault, try working on QM (Quadrupedal Movement). Once you get a hang of one type of QM, your body will use it in different positions and angles.

Practice Practice. :)

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »
Yeah. I try to practice every other day, or more.
Maybe you're right... it might be a coordination thing. Anyone know something I can do to promote QC (Quadrupedal Coordination)?

I'll start trying various tasks as a quadruped... who knows what could happen?
Heck with drugs and alcohol. I get high off exercise. Feel those endorphins pump.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26135.msg317244.html#msg317244

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
Yeah. I try to practice every other day, or more.
Maybe you're right... it might be a coordination thing. Anyone know something I can do to promote QC (Quadrupedal Coordination)?

I'll start trying various tasks as a quadruped... who knows what could happen?

Go up and DOWN the stairs on all four. QM over some small objects (e.g. scattered rocks, play Lava).

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
DOWN stais on all four... sounds a lot easier than it is. Then again, that just shows that I'm not coordinated enough ;o

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »
DOWN stais on all four... sounds a lot easier than it is. Then again, that just shows that I'm not coordinated enough ;o

;)

And no cheating, you have to use your feet and hands only. No using the knees or sliding down.

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »
;)

And no cheating, you have to use your feet and hands only. No using the knees or sliding down.

Well, maybe a little at first... I think I have pretty steep stairs

Offline Drew H

• Mangabey
  • Gate Vault FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Innovative Design
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
;)

But sliding down would be faster and more efficient. Or even jumping down....  :-Sarcasm

Lol, but what these guys said. QM does wonders! =D
Have you forgotten about the days when we just wanted to rock cause we like it that way?

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »
I'm going to ask a question inside your topic if you don't mind Greeeg the squiiirrel.

I don't QM that much either, how many minutes a day would you recommend?

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
Travel if you can. Parkour can be trained anywhere, but some places in this country are obviously better than others. You won't be all that good at snowboarding if you don't live near some god damn mountains.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 01:38:19 AM »
Its good to try and find a variety of environments to train in, but remember also that it's generally best to practise skills you might need to use. You probably don't need to be good at snowboarding if you don't live near mountains. Training with what you have got is fine if you understand all the ways in which you can change the difficulty of the obstacles around you.

There's no magic length of time for any activity. Set yourself a target, something like duration or distance, and try your best to reach it. If you reach it, set yourself a slightly harder target. If you don't, set yourself a slightly easier target. To train usefully you want to try and push at your limits, whatever they are.

See also: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,25567.0.html
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Dan A.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
There is this one wall that I always practice on, it is about 10' tall. Recently, for the life of me, I can barely ever reach the top.

How many different paths to the top have your tried to follow?

I'm very sure if you spend a whole training session brainstorming and troubleshooting, you may find up to two or three other paths to the top. Furthermore, in adapting to different approaches you may find that in time the first approach will once again become easy.

Much of "explorative" Parkour, in my opinion, involves critical use of problem solving skills. Part of problem solving involves taking you mind off the problem and returning to it at a later point in time. Often by the time you return the problem is no longer a 'problem'.

What this translates to physically:
Sometimes we meet obstacles that just, at some point or another, defy our attempts at surpassing them. I believe that when this happens you should leave that particular obstacle for a time and look for an easier obstacles to solve. Then when that former obstacle is no longer your primary concern, probably because you have encountered a new challenge, go back to it and try it again. You'll be surprised how much easier it seems by then.

I can't kong a picnic table anymore

Can you run on top of it
Can you roll over it
Can you slide across it

?

I'll admit, practicing predefined moves is great for building skill and ability. Theres nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.  In relation to that, I would advise you to trying the same approach from different angles and slowly progress till your can do it straight horizontal. Or find other easier "kongs" and drill them until the picnic table becomes natural.

What I'm actually trying to address here, is that regression is often choice or forbearance there of. There is more than one way for you to progress in your chosen 'parkour'. Don't restrict yourself to a set way of moving at the expense of being unable to move in your own environment.

I believe that it is important to practice your ability to adapt quickly to any situation. That way when you meet a situation requiring use of a common form of movement, you adaptability will aid you in surpassing it. (However, drilling is still just as important, just don't forget to compliment it with adapting)

I have a feeling if you try looking at your abilities from a different perspective, you may realize that you have not regressed (backed tracked in progress) at all. What typically happens in practicing any discipline is that just before you reach a plateau of ability you encounter a slight peak in performance. Once on the plateau this can become quite discouraging. Don't worry though, its part of a greater progression cycle and before you know it, if you focus on simple things, you will progress far past your former peak.

I wish you all the best, just keep with it.
Good training.

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 03:09:50 AM »
Sooo I recently found out that the two guys I have been training with since last april no longer want to do parkour or spend time with me, though no fault of my own. One friend is too busy "enjoying" his girlfriend and the other got back into WoW. I'm still pretty offended and I lost all motivation. Yesterday I found myself sitting inside on a bright warm day because I didn't have the motivation to get up and go do something.

I'm trying to get more people into parkour, but its looking like I may be going alone for a loong time..

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:08:34 AM »
Sooo I recently found out that the two guys I have been training with since last april no longer want to do parkour or spend time with me, though no fault of my own. One friend is too busy "enjoying" his girlfriend and the other got back into WoW. I'm still pretty offended and I lost all motivation. Yesterday I found myself sitting inside on a bright warm day because I didn't have the motivation to get up and go do something.

I'm trying to get more people into parkour, but its looking like I may be going alone for a loong time..
Look at this as a blessing in disgusie, sure you may have nobody to train with right now but don't let that discourage you. Instead try to train twice as much and when you find some newer traceurs in your area (there should be some, thanks to MTV's Ultimate Parkour Challenge) you can become a leader to them and show them the proper ways to practice parkour.

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 11:57:51 AM »
Look at this as a blessing in disgusie, sure you may have nobody to train with right now but don't let that discourage you. Instead try to train twice as much and when you find some newer traceurs in your area (there should be some, thanks to MTV's Ultimate Parkour Challenge) you can become a leader to them and show them the proper ways to practice parkour.
'Spose thats a good idea