Author Topic: Rolling issues  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Rolling issues
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »
is it bad if you can only roll from your right
shoulderno matter what i do i can't get the
left one it is really starting to get frustrating.
how can i fix this? or do ireally need to fix it?
or is it ok if i can only do it fromone shoulder.
is there really gonna be a time where i need
to roll from the left shoulder?

Trust me, there will be times where you need to roll on your non-dominant shoulder. It's always better to be ambidextrous.

Offline Sonicboom

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Christian DeBuys
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »
Do NOT slam you ankle.  If you were to hit your non-leading leg at the end of your roll, you would shatter it.  Just a little advice from a noob who is practicing NOT hitting his nkle.

Offline Seung-hyun Cha

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 10:02:58 AM »
also one thing to take into fact, is that facing around about 45 degrees help your rolls to be a lot smoother.

i mean its entirely impossible if u stay on axis, looking directly forward and roll diagonaly across your back, how can you roll diagonally across your back when you face forward without even giving a twitch to the side? see what im saying m8?

Offline matttrick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Art of Displacement
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »
This video has helped me a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPd29MlHpg

I have been doing it on carpet at home to start out with just to commit to muscle memory. Doing it from a kneel really helped just get the roll part right, and then after that you can add doing it from standing or a walk/run. I have only been at it for two weeks but it feels decent when I roll.

@texaspete, I am far from an expert, barely an amateur but I do know that the body grows best in balance. You might try a roll from one knee like in the video to get more comfortable with it. I should do the same myself, I have only done it on the right so far. Again the issue is balance in your body and also it would be good in case there is some mishap and you simply cannot roll on the right for some reason. I doubt it is absolutely necessary though.

Offline Fyrel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »
This video has helped me a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPd29MlHpg

I have been doing it on carpet at home to start out with just to commit to muscle memory. Doing it from a kneel really helped just get the roll part right, and then after that you can add doing it from standing or a walk/run. I have only been at it for two weeks but it feels decent when I roll.

@texaspete, I am far from an expert, barely an amateur but I do know that the body grows best in balance. You might try a roll from one knee like in the video to get more comfortable with it. I should do the same myself, I have only done it on the right so far. Again the issue is balance in your body and also it would be good in case there is some mishap and you simply cannot roll on the right for some reason. I doubt it is absolutely necessary though.

Yeah, I love Doyle's drill; it gives a good benchmark to see if you're doing it more or less right. APK's roll tutorial and Urban Current's roll tutorial are good for more in depth looks at the roll; start with Urban Current's after Doyle's video, I'd think. The APK video gets pretty in depth into it.

Oooh, and this one's great too. It highlights common troubles people have with the roll and gives you tips on how to correct it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Va-LeUaVxg&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:47:37 PM by Fyrel »

Offline Austin Schuberth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Made From The Best Stuff On Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »
Yeah, Doyle's video is great.  It helped me get my rolls more diagonal.  It helped me improve my rolls on both shoulders.

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:33 PM »
I can't do Doyle's sitting roll, I actually find the standing roll to be far less awkward and less painful. I can't seem to go forward enough from the sitting one.
Life isn't at all fair. But let's face it: if that gets in your way, you're just lazy.