Author Topic: Rolling issues  (Read 3604 times)

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Rolling issues
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:32:54 PM »
I, like most beginners, am having trouble getting the roll quite right.
Now, I did Judo for years, where we learned to break falls and roll, but the Parkour roll has to be much more perfect so that you're not hurt whether on mats on concrete.
I usually practice on grass, in my backyard. It seems to work better from a small and jump off a small box (a foot or two in height) rather than just running and trying to roll.

Understanding the roll without a teacher is hard, so I'm having some issues. I've heard a few times that the first thing that's supposed to hit (aside from your hands) is the back of your shoulder; however, when I've flipped that much before landing, I can't get a smooth roll, and usually end up winded.

From watching videos, I've come to think that rolls are more sideways than I originally thought, but when I do that I tend to hit the side of my shoulder too hard (it's bruised now), and end up coming up too far on my side. If I try to get less of a horizontal angle, then I end up both hitting the top of my shoulder (the part where bone protrudes) and rolling across my spine in a painful way. I can't seem to find any angle in between.

Has anybody else had these problems? Any advice?

Thanks
Life isn't at all fair. But let's face it: if that gets in your way, you're just lazy.

Offline Dan Shoupe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling issues
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
I'm still working on rolling myself, so if anyone contradicts what I say you should probably listen to them :D

However, while working with my roll I've found a few things that help me improve my form.
Right before I kick off my feet, I look to my left (I roll over my right shoulder) and sort of tuck my head. This seems to make the roll get that diagonal path across my back.
When I kick off, I try not to use too much force. They provide just a little push that redirects my momentum. Whenever I overdo this little kick, I wind up pounding my shoulder or just flopping straight onto my back >_<
I use my arms to control the motion before my shoulder connects to the ground.
Thinking "I'm a ball" (however silly it seems) helps me maintain the curved back throughout the movement.
Finally, I try to keep the angle of my knees constant throughout the move and I point my feet outwards so that my feet don't land in inconvienient positions.

Other than that, I'd reccomend using a matress or a gymnastics mat to get the motion down before doing it on grass. That's what I reverted to and it has helped me.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:12:20 PM by Shoupe »
Difficulty is only a lack of familiarity with something. Become acquainted with what is difficult and it will cease to be so.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
I'm still working on rolling myself, so if anyone contradicts what I say you should probably listen to them :D

However, while working with my roll I've found a few things that help me improve my form.
Right before I kick off my feet, I look to my left (I roll over my right shoulder) and sort of tuck my head. This seems to make the roll get that diagonal path across my back.
When I kick off, I try not to use too much force. They provide just a little push that redirects my momentum. Whenever I overdo this little kick, I wind up pounding my shoulder or just flopping straight onto my back >_<
I use my arms to control the motion before my shoulder connects to the ground.
Thinking "I'm a ball" (however silly it seems) helps me maintain the curved back throughout the movement.
Finally, I try to keep the angle of my knees constant throughout the move and I point my feet outwards so that my feet down land in inconvienient positions.

Other than that, I'd reccomend using a matress or a gymnastics mat to get the motion down before doing it on grass. That's what I reverted to and it has helped me.

Hope this helps!

All these tips are great. :) The arm-controlled ground touch is the key, no matter how much diagnol you're rolling.
Think about how you roll a ball on the ground without it bouncing. You gently lower it, then start rotating it then let it go. That's how you should treat your shoulder. :)

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
Alright.. thanks.
I don't really have access to any mats on a regular basis, so I'll try your method of turning my head to get a good diagonal roll.
What part of my shoulder should I be landing on? The top is bony, the diagonal corner is bony, and I can't seem to get a good roll on anything else.
Life isn't at all fair. But let's face it: if that gets in your way, you're just lazy.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »
Alright.. thanks.
I don't really have access to any mats on a regular basis, so I'll try your method of turning my head to get a good diagonal roll.
What part of my shoulder should I be landing on? The top is bony, the diagonal corner is bony, and I can't seem to get a good roll on anything else.

It's the flat part of your shoulder (like where the shoulder blade is). You shouldn't be hitting the top or corner. It takes practice and time to transition well, like precisions. However, do you have enough muscle in that area? Muscle is important to cushion; the more muscle across your back, the smoother the roll.

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »
I'm decently muscled, but I'm pretty lean. Either way, that's not my problem, so I'll work on hitting that area first, and then worry about cushioning ;)

(eh heh heh I spelled "muscled" wrong the first time)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:46:02 PM by RobotGymnast »

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
Sounds good. :)

EDIT: is that you in your profile pic? If yes, then I think you have enough muscle for cushion, rofl.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 06:46:38 PM »
to add to the topic, im working on rolls, ive been doin parkour for a few months but postponing it, and its time i got to it. i think im doing it right but i keep getting a pinching feeling in  my roll shoulder. is this bad? or normal? will it go away?
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »
Yes, that's me in my profile pic. I specifically uploaded that picture so we could judge whether or not I have enough muscle. Although I'm fit, I'm also rather bony, so I do still have bones sticking out on my shoulders.

Also, I've decided to at least take the introductory class at the Monkey Vault gym in Toronto; they might be able to help.

@Texas_Pete I think all discomfort when rolling is bad, because eventually you'll be doing it from larger jumps and faster falls, and discomfort will probably be amplified.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »
im still practicing, i think the more i practice the better my form gets, it will go away
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 01:36:19 PM »
@OP: That's good, getting direct personal help is always better. I'm also as bony as you (maybe more) but it's fine for me.

@Pete: That's right. :)

Offline Andrew

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »
Here is a tip remember I am by no means a expert at all, but when I do my rolls I land on the balls of my feet and absorb some shock with my legs and when I am almost in ball than I extended my right arm (tuck my chin to my left arm pit) and roll diagonal across my back.

I don't know if these is the right way, but it works great for me. Cause I was having problems with pain in my shoulder when i was just landing on my back and rolling... once I started landing on my feet than going into the roll it has helped me a lot. I don't get any pain now, of course the highest that I have came down from and rolled was about 13-15 feet.
"If I could just run faster, jump higher.... maybe I could fly"

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »
im far bonier than the OP

my forearms look like sticks. but i am by no means too weak, i do just fine

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »
Can't help but feel a little too flattered; pic changed.

Also, I've found that consciously making an effort to tuck my head really does help my entire body turn.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 02:19:07 PM »
i got one perfect roll last night. like absolutely perfect

Offline Andrew

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
i got one perfect roll last night. like absolutely perfect

congratulations
"If I could just run faster, jump higher.... maybe I could fly"

Offline Jake Garner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
I have problems with this too. I always end up hitting my shoulder. I can go into and keep momentum, but it hurts my shoulder. I'm having trouble landing on the back of my shoulder.
"There's so much oxygen, that I forgot to breathe"
"Create, Cognize, and Recognize"

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »
I have problems with this too. I always end up hitting my shoulder. I can go into and keep momentum, but it hurts my shoulder. I'm having trouble landing on the back of my shoulder.

Are you using your arms to slowly lower your shoulder, type of deal?

Offline Jake Garner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
Yep. I try to slow myself down with my arms, but i still always end up going straight down onto my shoulder. Maybe I just need to tuck more.
"There's so much oxygen, that I forgot to breathe"
"Create, Cognize, and Recognize"

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 06:31:28 PM »
is it bad if you can only roll from your right
shoulderno matter what i do i can't get the
left one it is really starting to get frustrating.
how can i fix this? or do ireally need to fix it?
or is it ok if i can only do it fromone shoulder.
is there really gonna be a time where i need
to roll from the left shoulder?