Author Topic: Donating Blood after working out  (Read 14128 times)

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
Donating Blood after working out
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »
So my girlfriend invited me to donate blood with her tomorrow afternoon. Only problem is that tomorrow is supposed to be the start of my new intense parkour training. My question is it "safe" to donate blood after working out for a couple of hours, or should I just put off my training session an other week (which I don't want to do, I have been planning this new training routine for weeks now, and I'm hyped for it). Also how long will it take for me to get into the right condition after giving blood to do some intense training?

Offline John Walker

• Guenons
  • Be Proud - To Be Strait!
    • View Profile
Re: Donating Blood after working out
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:32:59 PM »
Asked my dad - 28 good years in the navy special forces..

he said depending if they drain you or not than you should be fine after about a day, just eat things that help your blood become more pure.. but your heart makes blood cells by the sec. so he said if your worried wait a day.. if not 5 hours after is all good
"I do not affirm nor deny the immortality of man. I see no reason to believe it but I do not have any means to disapprove it.“

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »

he said depending if they drain you or not than you should be fine after about a day, just eat things that help your blood become more pure.. but your heart makes blood cells by the sec. so he said if your worried wait a day.. if not 5 hours after is all good
Thanks, but is there anything to worry about working out say an hour before, or does that not matter?

Offline John Walker

• Guenons
  • Be Proud - To Be Strait!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
Nope, They'll just beable to suck the blood outta you faster :D get it pumping!
"I do not affirm nor deny the immortality of man. I see no reason to believe it but I do not have any means to disapprove it.“

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »
Nope, They'll just beable to suck the blood outta you faster :D get it pumping!

You definitely should not work out after donating blood. Your body will need some time to recover and make more blood. Like several days. The assistants working there will tell you (or they should...) that you should not lift anything heavy, and to take it easy for the next day or so.

When I gave blood, my girlfriend was shocked by the way I looked... said I looked really pale (more than usual, so you know its bad  ::)). Not to say giving blood is bad, its just something your body doesn't normally do. I would think the best thing to do is to move your workout for another day next week, take the whole day as a rest day, and just enjoy being with your girlfriend.

PS: If you do decide to work out before doing it, please make it a light one. The last thing you want to do is to take away one of the most vital resources of your body after its been heavily taxed and is trying to recover. You would be stacking a big deck against you otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:53:22 PM by Happy Fries »
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Nick Stone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Not Quite Evil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:44:19 PM »

Actually, your bone marrow makes blood cells.

Still, good point. And most definitely do not work out AFTER giving blood. Horrible idea.
And you can quote me on that.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »
They'll give you a form on it and everything.  You can exercise before giving blood just fine, go ahead and do what you want.

What they don't want you to do is do strenuous exercise for 24 hours after giving blood.  You can still do moderate exercise, just not any training.  After the 24 hour period your performance will have some noticeable decreases in the area of cardiovascular endurance (less RBCs yay!)  But after a few weeks you'll be back to normal.

FYI, RBCs are formed by a process known as hemopoiesis in red bone marrow, and RBCs are constantly being replaced.

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:13:30 PM »
After the 24 hour period your performance will have some noticeable decreases in the area of cardiovascular endurance (less RBCs yay!)  But after a few weeks you'll be back to normal.

Well that's not cool.

I gave blood, today was my first time ever, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Still a bit light headed but not as bad as I was earlier (do not ever drive after donating blood, I did and it messed up my judgment so much). All I can say about my first time experience is "wow, that felt weird" and the needle under my skin for 14 minutes was probably the strangest annoying feeling I have ever felt in my life. But I think I might go again, it did felt good to know you were saving people's lives with a pound of blood.