Author Topic: Yann Hnautra and Chau Belle - freerunning/parkour/l'art-du-deplacement  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
You know, with the high-caliber drops and cats they were doing, it was really refreshing to experience a strong meditative feel with the videos. I really liked the music choices for both of them. These videos almost seem to pull what might be going on in their heads out onto each video, almost like experiencing what the movements and runs feel like to them instead of being an outsider watching high-velocity FR. Nice...
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Yeah, the videos are laid back, but at the same time, I couldn't come anywhere near some of those moves they were pulling off! I thought it was pretty cool how in Chau's video he used traditional Native American singing. Something I would never expect to hear in a parkour video coming out of France. Nice combination for sure. I am so looking forward to training with these guys at our upcoming event :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:50:26 PM by Muhammad »

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
im still not sure why the do some pretty akward cat leaps some times. it seems like there might be a reason for them but, then again idk.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
It's oldschool style. These guys started training like 20 years ago! They also do the regular cat leap to muscle up variation that you see in most videos these days. I think they reason they do this other, slightly more awkward version is for safety, because if you notice, he's pretty high up from the ground. If he slipped, it might mean death. Maybe we could ask them about it when they come to Ohio in May.

Offline Alexz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Such crisp perfected form, thanks for sharing man.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
It's oldschool style. These guys started training like 20 years ago! They also do the regular cat leap to muscle up variation that you see in most videos these days. I think they reason they do this other, slightly more awkward version is for safety, because if you notice, he's pretty high up from the ground. If he slipped, it might mean death. Maybe we could ask them about it when they come to Ohio in May.

i figured it was for safety, it just looks awkward and some what painful. i would have thought they would train the regular looking cat leap so much that it would be safer.

then again i have yet to do such large cat leaps in such weird circumstances. if you would ask them just for clarification that'd be cool :)

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline HarrisonYoder

• Guenons
  • Around 6 months training
    • View Profile
I thought the whole rooftop thing was a bit stupid, yes you can climb a ladder like building side, but please get down. He can hurt himself no matter how experienced he is and its probably private property.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
I thought the whole rooftop thing was a bit stupid, yes you can climb a ladder like building side, but please get down. He can hurt himself no matter how experienced he is and its probably private property.

LOL, this is how parkour began.. and these people are from the Yamakasi, who were the founders of the discipline. Have some respect man ;)

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
Have some respect man ;)

I find this phrase to be rather closed minded, Muhammad. If I were a gung fu student, and an old gung fu master instructed me to pound my fists repeatedly against a dense stone, I would certainly not do so because I know that to be irreparably damaging. That doesn't mean I have no respect for him. Questioning and challenging are one of the most important tools we have to discover truth and fosters growth on a societal scale. 

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
Re: Yann Hnautra and Chau Belle - freerunning/parkour/l'art-du-deplacement
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:51:38 AM »
I find this phrase to be rather closed minded, Muhammad. If I were a gung fu student, and an old gung fu master instructed me to pound my fists repeatedly against a dense stone, I would certainly not do so because I know that to be irreparably damaging. That doesn't mean I have no respect for him. Questioning and challenging are one of the most important tools we have to discover truth and fosters growth on a societal scale. 

Agreed.  I have plenty of respect for the "founders", but I reserve the right to question their training methods and the techniques they use.  In every domain, subsequent generations build and improve upon practice methods, technical skill, and knowledge that originated in the first generation.  Parkour is no different.  Taking the Yamakasi's methods as THE way is a good way to hinder progress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »
Of course it's good to question and challenge, but there is a way of doing it that includes respecting the other person and showing good manners. If you are sincere about questioning and challenging, then I would recommend to contact the person directly and privately to do so. I'm sorry guys, but I don't feel comfortable when people speak ill of others when they're not present.. It's like backbiting. It's my own personal habit that if I'm going to say anything about someone in a public space, I say something positive, or I remain silent, with few exceptions. Call me old fashioned, but it's how my parents raised me. Sorry if you guys find that offensive.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »
Vid shows Chau doing both types of cat - the "standard" on lower obstacles, and the "armpit" on higher ones. Also, Yann is doing the armpit thing as he climbs the ladder building. So I'm also guessing it's a safety technique - get more body/bigger muscles on the surface. It doesn't look comfortable, tho. Let us know what you find out.

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:01 PM »
Of course it's good to question and challenge, but there is a way of doing it that includes respecting the other person and showing good manners. If you are sincere about questioning and challenging, then I would recommend to contact the person directly and privately to do so. I'm sorry guys, but I don't feel comfortable when people speak ill of others when they're not present.. It's like backbiting. It's my own personal habit that if I'm going to say anything about someone in a public space, I say something positive, or I remain silent, with few exceptions. Call me old fashioned, but it's how my parents raised me. Sorry if you guys find that offensive.

Yea, sorry.  In retrospect, your comment was more directed toward promoting respect than anything else, but my comment actually wasn't really directed toward you.  It was more directed toward those who blindly worship the founders because...well they're the founders.  They certainly have accumulated a great deal of experience, but I find their training methods outdated and fairly dangerous. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline HarrisonYoder

• Guenons
  • Around 6 months training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »
I didn't say he was bad, and come on, there's not really a founder to freerunning and parkour. Parkour and freerunning are about movement with the human body and I do not really think its an original idea in itself, although a good one at that. Besides, I have a right to my opinion its not like Yann and Chau check up on APK forums every so often. They are good freerunners/traceurs. I'll give them that. I just disagree with some of their practices.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 03:05:01 PM »
If you have trained with them (the Yamakasi founders) and have real first hand knowledge of their methods, then by all means, you have every right to voice an opinion regarding their training practices. I don't have that kind of first-hand knowledge, so I couldn't fairly say anything about that.. at least not yet. The closest I have gotten to training with people who have THAT much experience has been with Stephane Vigroux a couple of times. I got to participate in training for one day with David Belle, but I don't think that really counts too much. He told me to jump off of something that looked really freakin high to me and I was scared to death, but I sucked it up and did it, and it wasn't so bad afterall. My legs didn't break. I had only been training for about nine months at that time.

Oh, and by the way, you would probably be quite surprised to see some of the people who actually read these forums, but never post.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:21:21 PM by Muhammad »