Author Topic: Diet for a Beginner  (Read 2467 times)

Offline strikerz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Diet for a Beginner
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »
So i have had good help on exercise in the forums, thanks, but now i need to work on diet. I need to lose belly fat so can you help me with this. I want my diet to be this because i ate a lot of fatty foods before so its going to be hard to get used to.

DINNER
Meat:
Chicken or Turkey most times

Vegatables:
Carrots
Corn
Brocoli

Fish:
Salmon
Tilapia

Other:
Mashed potatoes

Lunch
I dont usually eat lunch at school because its unhealthy so i might just bring some fruit and water.

Breakfast
Oatmeal
Fruit
Maybe plain yogurt or bacon(cant give it up)

Snacks( My main problem)
I used to get hungry and grab a pop tart or chips but i realized that was really unhealthy
So now i eat

Granola Bars
Fruit
Or Nuts

Drinks:
Gatorade
Fruit 20
Water
Soda(once a week)

Can you guys help me with this or is it ok? Its not the best because my parents probably wont be up for it every night, so im doing my best and mainly decreasing snacks which is main problem.

Offline Brien

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Diet for a Beginner
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:49:26 PM »
well, I can probably safely say that you aren't an avid traceour, and just want to lose weight. Bacon is a no-no, and you can't admit defeat and say you can't give it up. That simply will not fly if you want to lose weight. Lunch shouldnt be just fruit and water, you should add something else... maybe a salad or something light, but with nutrients to get you away from the unhealthy snacks.

Gatorade is terrible for you, in my opinion. I'd go with REAL green tea, which tastes awesome cold if you make it.

Offline Nathan Reid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »
What's so bad about bacon? It's got plenty of the saturated fats your body needs.

I'd recommend trying out a primal / paleo diet if you want to lose weight, gain muscle, and have plenty of energy.
Check out www.marksdailyapple.com; give it a 30 day trial and see how it goes.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:32 AM »
Eating a good diet is really not that difficult.

Eat meat, Vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, roots and tubers, dairy and grains depending on tolerance, no refined sugar, no white flour, no pr-e packaged processed anything.

If you want to lose fat eat less, I have had success counting calories and just using intermittent fasting. If you want to gain weight eat more.

Fat is good for you, vital to your health so are carbs, and obviously protien, your body's protient needs are relatively independent of energy balance so your protein consumption should be maintained while cutting to maintain Lean Body Mass. I don't believe there is convincing evidence for advantages to cutting carb or fat preferntially, get rid of all the fake appetite distorting foods(anything with sugar, any liquid food except maybe milk, anything with canola, corn, safflower, sunflower, or soybean oil, anything prepackaged) and your appetite will let you know if you need more fat or more carb in your diet.

Don't drink gatorade or soda ever, juice only very rarely, and eat bacon if you want just mind the calories.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »
I disagree with Rafe

Through my personal experience, general carb restriction has helped me the most in fat loss. This means go easy on the following: Corn, Potatoes, Wheat(white & whole), sugar. Carbs are your body's first means of energy to burn; you want to burn fat. What carbs you do eat should come in the morning or 2 or 3 hours before working out so have some fruit for breakfast.
*If you are playing a sport you need carbs. Strenuous exercise without carbs will make your extremely tired.

What Brien said about green tea is spot on. It has loads of antioxidants and it has caffeine so it's a stimulant. This means it burns energy. Drinking green tea makes you burn mare energy than usual. It's like coffee but better for you. Buy a box of tea bags and make a pitcher of it and have 2 cups a day. Just remember that like coffee, it will keep you awake so don't drink it after 2pm. By the way, don't drink that lipton junk. It's loaded with sugar.

Cut dark meats(which includes any beef or pork products), and replace them with white meat(Turkey, chicken, fish) and eggs. Also, there are no carbs in protein.

Assuming you aren't one of these freaking skinny kids with the lightning fast metabolisms, this will be tough. you need to be disciplined in your diet meaning: NO SODA. I understand your logic of "it's only once a week to satisfy my cravings." But soda is easy to get hooked on and drinking it is nutritionally equivalent to stabbing yourself. Most [well planned] diets that fail do so because of "rewarding yourself, or cheating just a little bit." If you aren't going to stick to the diet, don't start because it won't work.

basic meal plan

Breakfast:fruit(apple or orange) and omelet, green tea

Morn Snack: almonds and pecans, banana,

Lunch: Chicken breast, sugar free jello, & veggies carrot sticks, celery, broccoli etc. green tea

Afterschool snack: tuna fish or cheese stick

dinner: big salad

*drink water throughout the day

Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Woody369

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:45:45 AM »

Cut dark meats(which includes any beef or pork products), and replace them with white meat(Turkey, chicken, fish) and eggs. Also, there are no carbs in protein.

Most [well planned] diets that fail do so because of "rewarding yourself, or cheating just a little bit." If you aren't going to stick to the diet, don't start because it won't work.

Nothing wrong with some lean cuts of beef. Variety is key. People get unhealthy by trying to be healthy, they restrict food to a few items they 'know' are good for you missing vital nutrition out.

Most well planned 'cheat' meals will help kick start your metabolism, but it depends what you have, it's not an excuse to drink soda.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »
Yeah beef is completely fine to eat, and so is steak.  Mmmm steak.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:21:13 AM »
If you give up red meat or fatty meat then you need to do more research.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:11:53 AM »
Schuman. Two questions.

Have you actually compared isocaloric diets in yourself twith different levels of carbohydrate and seen a difference in weight loss. Personally there was no difference, infact going from clean paleo to eating bread and the occasional chocolate or some ice cream made no difference as I ran a caloric deficit. Obvious food effects more then just weight loss and want to optimize health and recovery as well, but in my experience caloric deficit is the absolutely end all be all for weight loss. I think this may not be true for some, if your insulin system is messed up lower carbs will help, if your gut flora is out of whack, probiotics and prebiotic will work wonders, but assuming those systems are functioning I think there is not difference between isocaloric diets containing differing proportions of fat and carb and when controlled for calories no studies have shown a difference(ad lib calorie consumption is higher on higher carb diets in allot of cases).

Finally the dark meat light meat thing is dumb are at least not clearly articulated. Lean protien sources have less total energy so fit better in calorie restricted diet otherwise there is no evidence that they are less healthfull for you. If you eating low carb you need energy from some where and the best place you can get is animal fat.

I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »
I'm just speaking from my experiences with weight loss.
My weight fluctuates throughout the year depending on the time. I gain weight for football and lose for wrestling and soccer. After trying several different diets, low carb- high protein diets have worked the best for fat loss, while maintaining as much muscle as possible.
For people with a slow metabolism, gaining weight is easy. Eating high carbs, 3 meals a day, gaining weight is no problem. My best gains happen during high carbs binges.

The Dark/Light meat issue, while somewhat based on personal opinion, is intended to give less energy. Fat is a large portion of the energy that is gotten from meats so lean protein would generally be better since this diet is calorie restricting.

The problem with even well planned cheat meals, is that they aren't usually done to kick-start your metabolism. in general people cheat because they don't have the willpower to stay on their diet causing a one night gorge-fest after which many people decline on their diet from there. If well planned, however, these "cheat sessions" can be used to your advantage if done carefully.
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 04:57:47 AM »
Carb restriction works because you're cutting calories.  It's the lazy way to do it and shows either paranoia or not having the willpower to eat carbs while staying in a deficit.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »
Carb restriction works because you're cutting calories.  It's the lazy way to do it and shows either paranoia or not having the willpower to eat carbs while staying in a deficit.

Carb restriction also promotes water losses.  Its pretty substantial...

Anyway, who gives a f#ck?  The poor OP is getting nothing from this bickering.

The menu looks great - just drink water instead of those other drinks and look into expanding your options as you adjust to your new diet.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
Quick question that doesn't deserve a new thread:

How do you guys, (Like Chris and Andy) learn all about healthy eating, effects on the body, different effects of amino acids on each other and how it relates to nutrition, etc. Do you just lurk on forums for months and pick up some stuff?

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »
Quick question that doesn't deserve a new thread:

How do you guys, (Like Chris and Andy) learn all about healthy eating, effects on the body, different effects of amino acids on each other and how it relates to nutrition, etc. Do you just lurk on forums for months and pick up some stuff?

Get textbooks, books, and read.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 04:31:04 AM »
Get textbooks, books, and read.

Any specific ones?