Author Topic: How do I develop calluses?  (Read 24955 times)

austink

How do I develop calluses?
« on: April 08, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
I feel myself slipping because of sweaty hands, so I researched gloves. I found people with similar problems, and the solution seems to be to lose the gloves and develop calluses. Is there any fast way to develop calluses? I don't really mind if my hands hurt in the process.

Offline Jake Garner

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: How do I develop calluses?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
What surfaces are you slipping on? And as far as calluses, anything that is kinda rough on your hands. Climbing brick works well. But you don't want to tear your hands up, because they might scar and that is counter-productive.
"There's so much oxygen, that I forgot to breathe"
"Create, Cognize, and Recognize"

austink

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
I'm slipping on pretty much anything but brick. Tile, metal, wood.

Offline Jake Garner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
Hmm. I've never had this problem cause I've always had fairly rough hands. Maybe some talcum powder would help to dry your hands. Its fairly cheap. It's basically baby powder. Baby powder might work too if you don't mind the smell. And it wouldn't hinder the ability to grow calluses.
"There's so much oxygen, that I forgot to breathe"
"Create, Cognize, and Recognize"

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:35:19 PM »
Bouldering. Period.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 02:20:57 PM »
Walk around on all fours, especially outside.
Also, bar work will build up calluses on the padding of your hand.
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline Kyle Kuchler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
ok DONT get gloves!!! ur hands will get use to free running with gloves on and one day when you dont have gloves your hands will hurt reallllly bad. and plus it doesnt look good free running with gloves on. the best way to get calluses is to do a lot of laches (when u swing from one bar to anothr.) thats how i built calluses realllly fast!!! it might hurt at furst but you'll get use to it. you will slip some times just grab on as tight as you can

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:49 PM »
You skin toughens in response to you losing surface layers of skin, so the easiest method would be to rub your hands on rough surfaces as part of your regular training. Laches work too because you can also get a similar effect by putting pressure on the skin regularly, but I find laches tend to put pressure only on small areas. It builds up small calluses quickly but then the skin will just tear in a slightly different part of the hand. Effectively toughening your hands takes time and regular practise.
A good all-round exercise for toughening your skin up is quadrupedal movement (palms and feet) on rough ground. Pressure and abrasion combined with all the other benefits of parkour.
Scarring shouldn't be an issue if you build up the intensity gradually. It's hard to get permanent scars if the skin is constantly being worn away and replaced.
You're still going to slip sometimes though.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »
I think QM would be the best way.