Author Topic: Your Own PK Style?  (Read 7699 times)

Offline RhayneD

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Your Own PK Style?
« on: November 23, 2005, 04:18:54 PM »
I have had a question bugging me since I first learned about Parkour and started researching it online.

Within the many readings that I have come across, people speak of "everyone will PK differently" or, "keep your own style." Yet in many of those explanations and discussions, people will say there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" in the art of parkour. My question is this, how is it possible to have your own style, yet PK in the "right way"? I ask from a newbie perspective.  ???
"Definition is not the grand path. It is understanding that is the true destination." -RGM.
"Forget blood. Parkour runs through MY veins." -RGM

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: Your Own PK Style?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 05:27:57 PM »
some people see obstacles in different ways and approach them with different techniques. go to your favorite training area with another traceur who has never been there. dont show them any of the stuff you usually do. let them experiment first and you will see what i mean. chances are they will come up with some cool stuff you never thought of.

also, everyone has different body types and athletic abilities. some people are more explosive and powerful in their pk while some are more controlled and flowing. Everyone has a different mix of physical capabilities and attributes which is why nobody moves the same.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 07:52:08 PM »
and some people like throwing in a 540 McFag grab here and there.

kidding, there are Many ways of doing one thing. In an "official" parkour run, there will be one chance to do it as right as you can.. Sure, if you do the SAME run, 20 times, you might find the most efficient route and set of moves possible, but its that first stab at it that really counts. kinda make sense?

that first stab at an efficient run will consist of what the subconscience mind will favor, if you think a kong is the best move for a rail, then hell, who else hangs out in your mind to tell you differently? you'll do the kong without having those 19 other times to test out all the other vaults or underbars. we cant all be right 100% of the time, and if they were, it wouldn't be fun  :P

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 07:54:33 PM »
also different people may have a predilection for different types of movement. for example, i love kongs and are fairly decent at them while my friend loves dash vaults. As you can see me and my friend have different styles for parkour. when at a crossing point where he has to decide what he's going to do in a split second, he's gona do a dash, but when i'm in that same situation i'm going to do a kong.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 08:52:48 PM »
thats....... what i said  :P

Offline Bachelarius

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 01:53:32 AM »
I agree with pretty much everything everyone said, but have one thing to add. Everyone's parkour is individual because everyone's regular training spots are different from someone else's, and it's those training grounds which shape your abilities.

This shapes the automatic responses which people have been talking about, as if there are many tight rails or lowish long walls, then people will naturally tend to do sauts de chat more. If there are loads of tight gaps, then it's underbars. Loads of walls, then it's passe muraille (wall hops) which they excell at.
,i--|--|_'-o---o-'

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 07:35:55 AM »
thats....... what i said 
haha i think we like wrote our posts at the same time because i ddind't see that when i wrote my post! lol

oh yeah and i definatly agree with the person above!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 07:38:40 AM by ERI104 »
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Gearsighted

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 08:06:10 AM »
The way I see it, Parkour is about the mindset first and foremost. The idea is to approach obstacles with an open mind, free of extraneous thought, and then allow your body to overcome it in the best way possible. In this way, everybody will have a different style of movement, because for each individual, there is a different method that may be deemed the "best" way to overcome the same obstacle. When people get into the argument of this or that is right or wrong in Parkour, they often are basing their argument on a fallacy, that one specific move is right or wrong. If you are focusing on individual moves, and your ability to perform the same move as somebody else (like saying, OK, he did a saut de chat, so I will try and emulate that movement) then you are negating not only your own person style, but also the basis of Parkour. That mindset is helpful when you are first starting out, because by copying a set of standardized movements, it becomes easier to learn and memorize the effeicient methods of overcoming obstacles. But once you have comfortably stored the options for effecient movement in your memory, you can stop thinking ahead to the next move and just allow the most effecient method for YOU to happen instincively. THIS is the idea of your own style within the construct of Parkour as it exists.

Offline W0LF

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 08:21:50 AM »
I'm gonna have to say you guys summed it up pretty well with your previous posts. So read above posts. But I'll add that I also do it to get a chance to hang out with some really awesome people and to better improve myself mentally and physically.

Parkour if like a game and if you mess up... game over  :'(  ;D

Offline RhayneD

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 07:48:40 PM »
Thanks a lot everyone. I think I have a strong handle on what is meant by "You own PK style" now. I guess I wasn't putting it in the same light as all of you are (like I mentioned, I'm still fairly new to the PK arena). I really appreciate the fact that everyone was so nice with their responses. Makes me feel all tingly inside  ;D (Sorry, I know that was kinda 'girly')

I love the fact that I can learn so much from all of you in a great community! Thanks!
"Definition is not the grand path. It is understanding that is the true destination." -RGM.
"Forget blood. Parkour runs through MY veins." -RGM

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 04:26:16 PM »
all this said though, isnt parkour supposed to be a "sport" ie have guidelines, moves, "rules," a theory and methodology behind it?  same as with any other formalized sport, "pure" PKers should stick to the original intent if they really want to still call what they do parkour.  similar to football and arena football, the first is the original, the latter is an offshoot that has developed into something else, but is not considered football - its arena football.  this is the same analogy i make when considering parkour, FRPK, 3run etc.  they are all different, even though they came from the same source, but as each develops and is defined it becomes a separate entity.  anyone agree or have comments?

that said, parkour is still a fairly fledgling sport in the US *bracing for flame* and IMO all of these fragments and politics arent helpful in promoting the sport.  eventually yes, but at this point in time, no.  thats just me  ???
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 04:36:07 PM »
Well, I disagree with you calling parkour a sport without a doubt. It has not been defined as a sport, there are no rulebooks or guidelines, but simply, a goal to acheive at any means possible. If you read just about any post made above, you might understand what we mean by style. If a person believes whole-heartedly that a kong will go much faster and much more appropriate than an underbar, they will do a kong, while if someone believes that an underbar is better, they will do an underbar. they way you make it sound like such a sport is somewhat confusing. do you mean that if a run doesnt consist of a kong-underbar-dash-catleap combination, then it is not considered parkour? If you are going as fast as possible, and using personal judgement to decide what is the best technique to do is, then i fully believe you are doing parkour... and personal judgements will never be exactly the same.

I see parkour as an art because of the lack of a rulebook. I use what i know to do the best that i can, with no trophies or definite rewards for creating a smooth run, and just like any artist, that is where the motivation, pride, and sense of accomplishment truly comes from.

EDIT: btw corndogg, i LOVE your avatar  :)

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 04:50:41 PM »
thanks  8)

heres another one i use regularly

from what i understood from foucan in jump london  :P was that to give legitamacy (sp?) to parkour, some more formal definition needed to be put around it.  so similar to football - you can are supposed to score touchdowns but *how* you accomplish it is up to the individuals.  same as with parkour - no theres no strict rule that you need to do a kong-underbar-dash, but you are still working within the overall framework towards an overall goal.  so personal interpretation, what people are calling "style" here, really to me is just your personal execution within the sport.   ???

ok time for me to shut up and run  ;D
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Steez

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 05:01:02 PM »
one thing that nobody has mentioned is difference in body type.

everything such as: height, weight, vertical jump, long jump, fast twitch vs slow twitch muscles, balance, grace, agility, strength, etc will affect what you can and can't do while doing or practicing for parkour.  as Gear said, copying someone else negates what parkour is about.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 05:15:38 PM »
ok time for me to shut up and run 

i like the way you think ;)
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Gearsighted

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 05:22:12 PM »
...Or within the constructs of an art that set it apart from other similar forms of art. I think the term sport has a tendency to dredge up thoughts of competition and a system of ranking individuals according to their ability. That isn't necessarily the only meaning, though, and I have a tendency to refer to Parkour as a sport when I'm describing it as a means of physical activity that leads to improved wellness while at the same time being enjoyable.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 06:06:34 PM »
Well, again i have a problem with your comparison to football, corndogg.
The goal is to get a touchdown, but the way to get a touch down is not up to the player's individual style. they have 4 downs, to move the ball 10 yards at a time, abiding by certain rules and restrictions. you cant hold people, you cant interfere with passes.... there are rules. There are no "you cant do that" rules when trying to reach parkour's goal (were not talking about obvious things like flips and spins, dont even bring that up right now).

Offline andi k

• Guenons
  • FRPKs are Losers. Im a TRACEUR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 02:16:10 AM »
My question is this, how is it possible to have your own style, yet PK in the "right way"? I ask from a newbie perspective.

your own style ? simple.   take a parkour video, for example, la releve.  it has approx. 9 different traceurs in it.  check out the movements of each one.  they dont look like 9 clones, each of them moves different.  some prefer monkeyvaults over long obstacles, some the french dash, some a speedvault, some run over them, but its still all effective.  its still all the right way but its also still their own style.

the basic idea is to do YOUR movement, and not copy other peoples movement. the french use saut de chat (or as FRscum ppl would call it, 'king kong vaults' ) a lot, and now in britain theyre all so obsessed with saut de chats that they forget about all the other possibilities of movements.  when i was there, there was this hip height wall and this little curb, and what i did was i jumped up , just took a step on the wall, and landed after the curb and kept running. then this british guy (dont remember who it was) said 'but you could have done a monkey to precision' and i said, yea, i could, but i could also have done this, and probably be even faster. and his answer ' yes but a monkey to precision is more parkour '   and i laughed my ass off. reason ? they dont move as their body prefers (cause everybody has different preferrings in how to move, some people never saut de chat (raimundo from team adrenaline, EXTREMELY good traceur, but doesnt saut de chat, still is better than any british guy) ) they just copy what they see in videos, and this is the point. move as YOU feel, as YOU prefer, not copy others.

cu

nuff said.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 01:20:03 PM »
There isn't really a right way but there are things and styles that make it FRPK, just Flips and Tricking etc. Creat your own or just copy someone, besides we all copy someones movement like Belle and Foucon right.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline andi k

• Guenons
  • FRPKs are Losers. Im a TRACEUR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2005, 11:32:10 AM »
damn how can one single person contain so much misinformation.  if wrong information had a mass, you would be a great sumo-fighter ;)

nuff said.