Author Topic: Amanda's interview  (Read 12830 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Amanda's interview
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:28:36 PM »
Next is Amanda Henry, shoot your questions!!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:22:25 PM by Ozzi »
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
Re: Ask an Alliance member!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
How were you first introduced to parkour and what made you want to practice it?

Has studying anthropology shaped your understanding of parkour?  In what way?

Any book recommendations related to parkour, anthropology, life, etc?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

turtlekarma

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
when you an pilou coming back to HI?

If i make it out to the beast coast will you guys be there?

Not a question, but...I'm sorry I pull leaves off of branches absent mindedly, I've been trying to stop ever since you pointed it out to me...several times  :'(

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
> What's your favorite workout? Of any kind?

> Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

> How was Hawaii? :P

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:14:07 AM »
Whats your favorite place ever and to train? Any music you'd like to recommend?
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
  • No Inhibitions, No Limits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:20:50 AM »
How did you get into Parkour? What started it all for you?

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
Do you ever feel like parkour and being feminine don't mix well?
Do you find that part of your motivation is to prove that you can keep up with the guys?
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »
What techniques would you recommend for over coming fear and self-doubt?

How many hours a day should a traceur practice and/or condition?

Offline Ninjababy7

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »
What would you say as your technique? Ex. Loose Free-Running/Pin Point Free-Running

Offline Zoolu

• Guenons
  • He who hesitates is lost....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
What was/is your motivation for starting to train in parkour?
With great power, comes great responsibility.

Watch out for pterodactyls!

Flow like water - break the law of gravity.

Offline Alex frogger Brown

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 05:21:23 AM »
what is a typical conditioning routine for you?

which National Jams do you plan on attending this year?

how does it feel to be a Traceuse in a world nominated(quantity wise) by Traceurs?
*PMPA*
"And traceurs we shall be family, for motion sets us free. Power descendeth forth from our hands, as our feet carry us swiftly across the land. May our flow be like water to thee, and in play shall we forever be. In nomine Belle, et Yamakasi, et Spiritu APK. Amen."

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »
What are the goals of your training? Overall and day-to-day.

How did you like Frederick? :)

How many times have you done the Exorcist stairs?
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 01:45:23 PM »
I think shes abroad at the moment so itll be a bit before she answers.
Stay tune though.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline pandacommanda1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »
as some people know, tim pisteur is quiting parkour and deleting his videos on youtube, I downloaded all of them with a program I have(I can't let this work dissapear) and I'm just wonderin what I should do with them (should I upload them on my own channel or does the apk channel already have them?) plz answer

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »
as some people know, tim pisteur is quiting parkour and deleting his videos on youtube, I downloaded all of them with a program I have(I can't let this work dissapear) and I'm just wonderin what I should do with them (should I upload them on my own channel or does the apk channel already have them?) plz answer

*hint*: Wrong place to post. Make a new thread.

Offline Bao

• Patas
  • Alan Tran
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
Why?

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »
IHey everybody!

First off, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. As Ozzi said, I've been doing a lot of traveling recently.  I was in Bogota for the performance there (though I missed the last day of playing in the city, so sad!) and then in Johannesburg to collect samples from a new hominin fossil!

Tom:
I first learned about parkour indirectly from my husband's boss, who is a big action movie fan, and had given us B-13 and Yamakasi. After watching those movies, I googled "parkour" and found APK. From there I learned about Primal Fitness, and started taking classes there about three years ago now. It looked so fluid, and so powerful. I was looking for a new sport (I was bored with yoga) that would excite me and get me back in shape, and parkour fit the bill. The community of people I met has been so great, too, so that has really kept me motivated.

Studying physical anthropology has really made me aware of both the limits and the possibilities of human abilities and movement. Modern humans are much less active  than our ancestors were, but we're also much healthier overall (despite problems with obesity, heart disease, diabetes, etc.). I feel like parkour helps me use my whole body more efficiently, in ways that it was "meant" to.

Book recommendations? Hmm, that's a tough one. I've heard really good things about both "The 3rd Chimpanzee" by Jared Diamond and "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan, but haven't managed to read either one. Both talk about our evolutionary history and how it affects our health, body form, and even social organization.

Ryan:
Whenever we can! We had a fantastic time in HI and really enjoyed training with everybody. I'm very sad that the university isn't hiring this year.

We will definitely be at Beast coast. We live here!

Thanks for thinking of the plants. =P

Gabe:
Hmm, I love workouts that challenge me, not just physically but also mentally. Ones where I have to learn a new skill, as well as condition my muscles. One we did recently was an upward cat to cat (from the 6ft box to the 8ft box at Primal). It took getting over my fear of hitting the corner, training my muscles to pull at the right time, and at the end, I was nicely sore and tired.

In 5 years, I hope to have a permanent research/professor position somewhere, doing cool research, and still jumping off stuff in my free time. ;)

HI was great! as you well know. =P

Ashley:
I've really enjoyed training in new random places. With all my travels I've had the opportunity to meet lots  of different local communities (Hawai'i, NYC, Colorado, and even Brisbane, Australia). I really like finding new places and seeing what I can do there, and also meeting new people and seeing how they approach obstacles in a different way. In general, I have found that college campuses are usually really good places to train.

I don't usually listen to music when I train, but I'd recommend the Akira Soundtrack if you want something tribal and rhythmic and fun.

Mel:
It was a combination of a couple of things. I was bored with my regular workout, I happened to see a couple of parkour movies that I thought were pretty cool-looking, and Primal Fitness was right in my area. I think it would have been really hard for me to get started in parkour on my own, and I credit the gym for making it easy to start. Once I started, I was hooked! Parkour is ideal for me because it requires no equipment, is always scalable, has such a great community and can always challenge me.

Rebecca:
Great questions, and hard to answer! I guess I don't think of myself as traditionally culturally feminine. I don't wear a lot of dresses/skirts, I don't wear make up, I detest high heels. This means I didn't have to compromise on these things in order to do parkour. On the other hand, I also feel really strongly that one can be very feminine without all the accouterments, and that being strong and muscular only highlights femininity, rather than detracting from it.

Yes, I often feel that I'm pushing myself to be as good as or better than the guys, and I try to be the best girl. I know this mindset is very competitive, not PC and really highlighting the differences between the sexes, but when I'm honest with myself, I know that women are generally less strong than men, and I've always resented my "handicap".

Haloshade:
Scaling is the best way that I've found for getting past my own fear and helping others past theirs. For almost every move there's a way to do it more easily or more simply, that can build skill at the same time as it building confidence. Sometime, though, it's important to listen to that fear - it is a safety mechanism that is designed to keep you safe.

The amount of time you "should" train or condition totally depends on your goals and current skill level! It's a really hard question to answer without knowing more. Just for a baseline, though, in our bootcamps at Primal, we have the beginner students come three days a week for an hour each time.

Ninja-
I'm really not sure what are the definitions of either of your terms. I also find the distinctions between parkour and freerunning to be a false dichotomy. When I'm training parkour, I'm never running from point A to point B - I'm usually doing the same move over and over again to get it right, and maybe chaining two or three moves together, but never really being "efficient."

Zoolu-
I did a lot of sports through highschool and college, but once I got to grad school, there were fewer options for interesting activities. Yoga is good, but kind of repetitive. I was looking for a new activity that would be fun, would get me into shape, and was something 'different'. Parkour fit that bill!

Alex-
Conditioning takes a variety of forms for me. It can be anything from <a href = "http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Anything---Four-Minutes-of-Pain-to-Gain&id=348486">tabatas[/url] of squats, burpees, pushups, whatever, to hour-long classes that take usual parkour exercises and make them conditioning exercises. For example, we frequently do a conditioning class where we set up precision trainers, a vault box and a wall for cat hangs/climb ups, and do a certain number of reps of each, or do each for a certain period of time.

I will definitely be at (B)East Coast, and, depending on my schedule, I'll try to hit up Philly and NYC. If I can get the money and time together, I'd like to go to Colorado again, and possibly Seattle. 

Being one of the few traceuses has its advantages and disadvantages. For the most part, the entire PK community is very supportive, and I feel I am in a good position to encourage more women to join a sport that I love. I am usually held to a different standard of performance, though, which is both good and bad. I know that I'm not as good as many of the top traceurs, and will likely never get that good, yet I'm given opportunities that other traceurs who are at my skill level would not have. On one hand, this doesn't seem fair and it  does bother me, but on the other hand, it does reflect both differences in ability between the sexes and different representation in numbers.

Elet:
It's usually easier to describe my day-to-day training goals, which usually are to have fun and play, to challenge myself physically and mentally, to help others progress (I'm usually teaching while I'm training), and to not get hurt. Overall, I'd say my goals are to continuously find new things to master, and to work toward mastering them. I'm actually pretty bad about setting individual goals that have a deadline (like, to be able to do a wall flip by the end of the summer), but I like to focus on the "play" aspect to parkour, more than the training regime aspect.

Frederick was AWESOME. There were so many places to train, and I feel like we didn't even begin to explore them. We'll have to come back again now that the weather is nice.

I've done the Exorcist stairs at least four times? I think? I've never done them in one go, though, I've usually had to stop and rest on the landing before continuing.

Everyone:
Thanks again for all your great questions and sorry to take so long to answer!

-Amanda

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 12:51:32 PM »
Thanks for answering Amanda! I'm like you, I'm not a very stereotypically feminine girl. And as for the Omnivore's Dilemma, parts of it were okay but it was ridiculously biased.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Bao

• Patas
  • Alan Tran
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »
Cheers for answering them. Think somebody forgot the question I posted.