Author Topic: Is Parkour Really That Dangerious in Comparison to Other Sports?  (Read 11447 times)

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
Re: Is Parkour Really That Dangerious in Comparison to Other Sports?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
The one serious injury we had was 6 broken ribs and a bruised liver on a missed swing to precision. 
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
The one serious injury we had was 6 broken ribs and a bruised liver on a missed swing to precision. 

That's one hell of a major injury.  [WTF]

How about the number of "minor" injuries, such as one broken arm or leg?

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
No other broken limbs, just minor sprains, bruises and scratches. One girl got a really really nasty splinter thats it.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Nick Faircloth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 11:51:58 PM »
Man, that seems to be the way it goes, hmm? With parkour injuries it's all or nothing.

Pyrobyte

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »

Holy shit. D:

I'm surprised that there aren't any broken arms/legs.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »
http://blane-parkour.blogspot.com/2009/01/law-of-averages.html

The guy's either a prophet or a doctor.  As a doctor he can predict possible types of injuries, but can't predict their inevitability.  Unless your doctor is Sylvia Brown, that is.

You sir are hilarious. 
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline I am who I am

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Just wish to shed my own views on this topic since everyone keeps saying football is meatheads bashing skulls in and parkour is much safer. First, every sport has a specific set of injuries commonly seen amongst athletes involved in the sports (ex. your not going to see a track runner getting tommy john surgery). So, every sport has inherant (sp?) risks involved. PK is no different. I've been playing football for going on 7 years now and not once have I received any major injury. I've only recently started parkour (a few months) and haven't even received a minor injury. Realistically, parkour has an injury rate that is probably very comparable to other sports. As the others above mentioned, the amount of risk can be increased or decreased in parkour which is what makes it so great. The reason why I haven't received injuries while some others have is because I train to make sure my muscles can handle the work load being placed upon them. If you have any weak point in your body, it will be revealed when you train. Rid yourself of these weak points and your body will be able to handle much more stress and your risk of injury will be reduced greatly. A great visualization is of a chain. A chain with a weak link will break much much easier than a chain that has none. Hope this helps.

Offline Don "Ryu" N

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »
I guess it safe to say if your jumping off a 3-story parking lot to another back and forth. Yeah I guess thats extremely dangerous.
"Beware of flying junk"

Pyrobyte

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
I guess it safe to say if your jumping off a 3-story parking lot to another back and forth. Yeah I guess thats extremely dangerous.

Well yeah, but most of us don't do that.  :P Hopefully.

Offline Jacob Siler

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 05:34:05 AM »
cheerleading is the most dangerous sport
https://www.jaaos.org/cgi/content/abstract/13/7/445
I seem to remember, from when I was studying to be an athletic trainer, that soccer is the second most dangerous sport (high number of head/spine injuries).

Sixty-nine football players from six Norwegian First Division League Clubs underwent a neurologic and EEG examination to investigate the incidence of head inju ries. A significantly increased incidence of EEG disturb ances were found in the football players compared to matched controls. The disturbances were most pro nounced among the youngest players. The higher inci dence of EEG disturbances found in the football players is most likely due to neuronal damage caused by re peated minor head traumas.
http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/17/4/573.abstract

*almost everywhere else, beside the USA, soccer=football
Jake Siler
Doctorate of Chiropractic student at Life University

Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science from Western Michigan University

*post are not a medical suggestion, or expert advice. Just sharing knowledge and experience.