Author Topic: Is Parkour Really That Dangerious in Comparison to Other Sports?  (Read 11473 times)

Pyrobyte

I am asking this because my father's friend (a doctor) claims that parkour is an extremely dangerous thing to do, and that even tackle football is a lot safer. He says I am definitely going to hurt myself. (Well hell yes I am going to hurt myself...even monkeys fall out of trees. But I highly doubt I could possibly achieve anything more than a minor break.) My father agrees with his friend for the most part, and is constantly saying that I am going to break my leg/arm/kill myself. I try not to let this bother me, but sometimes...

Honestly, I think that is just really stupid. Think of all the injuries you hear about with football, soccer, skateboarding, etc. My friend broke his arm in two places just standing on a skateboard not even moving. I've heard of people breaking femurs playing football. I know a guy who broke his leg playing soccer. Now, I rarely hear about any of you having major injuries from parkour, but could that be because not even a tenth of the people out there who practice parkour are on t his forum?

I could understand this assumption if I were jumping from building to building and doing backflips from 20ft drops.

Okay, so the question remains. Do you think parkour is really all that dangerous in comparison to most mainstream sports? If so, why? Have you ever heard of someone suffering a major injury from parkour? Are big injuries common in parkour?

Offline Nick Stone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Not Quite Evil.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Parkour Really That Dangerious in Comparison to Other Sports?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »
It's about as dangerous as any sport, but in different ways. Everything holds some level of risk. One kid died, but that's because he was being stupid and jumping across buildings. I'd say big injuries aren't common among people who are serious and train and condition and make sure they're ready before doing something.
And you can quote me on that.

Pyrobyte

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »
It's about as dangerous as any sport, but in different ways. Everything holds some level of risk. One kid died, but that's because he was being stupid and jumping across buildings. I'd say big injuries aren't common among people who are serious and train and condition and make sure they're ready before doing something.

Well yeah, but I mean like...what most of us do here. I know it's the most dangerous thing you can do if you're dumb enough to leap across buildings without...like...a decade of experience.

Offline Nick Faircloth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
If parkour is dangerous the way that you practice it, you're doing it wrong.

Parkour should be as safe as you can possibly make it, otherwise what's the point? All that training and then you can't do anything in a real situation because you have a broken leg.

Pyrobyte

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »
If parkour is dangerous the way that you practice it, you're doing it wrong.

Parkour should be as safe as you can possibly make it, otherwise what's the point? All that training and then you can't do anything in a real situation because you have a broken leg.

I agree, and that's how I train, yet people still say I am going to kill myself.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
Those people don't know what they're talking about.

If you're progressing at your own pace, then you have good judgement. Personally, the only time I messed a vault was a lazy that I KNEW I couldn't make, but still went for it. It didn't hurt either, because I knew how to catch myself. Another time I messed a kong because I knew people were watching me (a highway is a lot of people) so I was not being myself. When I am myself, nothing wrong happens.

At least in Parkour, you don't have massive people tackling you. :P

Pyrobyte

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
Those people don't know what they're talking about.

If you're progressing at your own pace, then you have good judgement. Personally, the only time I messed a vault was a lazy that I KNEW I couldn't make, but still went for it. It didn't hurt either, because I knew how to catch myself. Another time I messed a kong because I knew people were watching me (a highway is a lot of people) so I was not being myself. When I am myself, nothing wrong happens.

At least in Parkour, you don't have massive people tackling you. :P

What? Why wouldn't a sixty-year old man that sleeps all day know what he was talking about? Nonsense.

/sarcasm

But nobody really gets that, if you know what I mean. They don't really see that I've worked hard to do what little I can do safely. I know what you mean; one of my friends who had barely heard of parkour could do a turn vault. I was pressured to try to do one myself, even though I knew I couldn't. I ended up doing a nut precision. D:

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:16:16 PM »
I ended up doing a nut precision. D:

D:

I remember myself doing turn vaults waaaaaaay back, like 7 years ago. It's the first thing you do when you mess around a railing. :P

So back on topic: Just keep progressing the way it is or better, and don't let them put you down. :)

Offline Stephen Westbrook

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:19:41 PM »
...I'm sorry. I LOL'd at the nut precision.. xD And pictured it.
Failtacular..
Hope you're okay though!

And personally, I strongly believe that Parkour is just as dangerous as any other sport.
Equally dangerous.
A kid who doesn't know how to do Parkour properly is at risk just the same as if he didn't know how to play Rugby properly.

You're going to get hurt in Parkour, yeah. You know that, which proves that you're going to go about it in a safe manner (I hope!).
You're going to get hurt in ANY sport.

I'm rambling.
Damn exhaustion! Dx

Short-Version: It's dangerous, but so is any other sport. With proper conditioning and understanding of the sport, your chances of injury is decreased; but it's still dangerous.
"There is no finish line."-Tim Pisteur

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:56:35 PM »
I disagree soooooo much. Parkour is much more safe than other contact sports. In parkour, there is only the traceur, and the obstacles, meaning you can literally chose how much risk you take. Unless you're rage fraggeling, you usually don't have to factor in opponents that may throw their entire weight on you. I agree that you will get hurt doing parkour, but as experience goes up, injury rate generally goes down.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 01:59:53 AM »
Yeah, I mean you put allot of impact on your joints and stuff but no worse than snowboarding or skiing. As far as football I don't know where to start. I could make an intelligent argument and I recommend that you do...  And no offense, they're just retards.

One thing that may or may not apply is their eating and exercise habits. I'm willing to bet if they are average Americans their risk factors are much higher than a person that develops a healthy sustainable exercise (and hopefully eating) habits at a young age like you.

Just remind them if they keep bothering you about their exercise and eating until they leave you alone. I am sorry but if you are practicing responsibly they are just letting their male dominance/insecurity issues get the best of them.

PS. this is only what you should think in your head. In reality there are much better articles or vids that you can point out to paint a much better image of PK for them so that they understand where you are coming from. Also find a way to complement them and stroke their egos as this will make them much more receptive to your position.

Hopefully some others can post some helpful links here as I am too tired at the moment to find them. 

Good luck. :)     
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Daniel Vincent Luptowski

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 03:57:05 AM »
I'm starting to wander if your more curious about how dangerous Parkour is, or if other traceurs deal with a general lack of faith and support from loved ones.

I'll admit too, all I ever hear is "don't break your neck" or "people will think your a loony" when talking about it to friends or family. But I know they don't have the definition of it that I do, and as far as their concerned, they only see people doing stunts.

So yes, I too find people's lack of faith... disturbing. (Vadar reference)
Courage is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:19:38 AM »
Parkour is not "inherently" dangerous. Like everyone else said, if you train properly, if you condition well, if you have enough fear to know when to back down, you'll never get and injury.

Parkour is like a gun. The second you pull that trigger, the second you make that jump, it's already too late. (Unless of course, you have super bullet-time powerz...  [WTF])

...there is only the traceur, and the obstacles, meaning you can literally chose how much risk you take. Unless you're rage fraggeling, you usually don't have...

Rage Froobling*

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 04:31:51 AM »
Throughout my three year parkour life I've never once hurt myself majorly.  Well, I did twist my ankle a little bit doing something I knew I was too tired to do safely in the first place.  In fact, any risk of any injury I've done was with something I knew I couldn't do safely.  Of course that was when I was unexperienced and in my first year.  I know now to tell people, "No, I don't feel comfortable doing that."

Safety is a big concern.  I'll take baby steps when learning a new move.  You should of seen how long it took me to learn the reverse vault.  There was this one time though when I was balancing on a bar my foot slipped and I ended up doing a nut precision.   More embarrassing than painful really (it missed the vital areas).

Truth be told, I've suffered almost all of my injuries (minus cuts and scratches) from being a runner (or biker, don't take turns on gravel at 20 mph) rather than from being a traceur.

I can feel what the doctor is saying.  He's only concerned with your well being.  To him it looks like you're just going out and thrilling yourself.  You have to help him understand that parkour isn't that.  Parkour is to be practiced very safely as to minimize any injury risk.  Still, parkour, just like everything else, carries an innate risk.  I've screwed up doing something I was comfortable with.   David Belle has too.  It is a risk you take with anything you do.  Oh and typically parkour practiced correctly has a lower injury rate than other sports.

Offline Todd1

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Darkburg (Harrisburg Parkour)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:43:22 AM »
http://blane-parkour.blogspot.com/2009/01/law-of-averages.html

The guy's either a prophet or a doctor.  As a doctor he can predict possible types of injuries, but can't predict their inevitability.  Unless your doctor is Sylvia Brown, that is.
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Pyrobyte

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:32:44 AM »
Whoa. This got a lot of posts over night.  :o

@Hazim: As much as I know their assumption is stupid, I can't help myself but to think I'm going to have some sort of freak accident. I never feel that way when I'm out doing things, but just sitting around sometimes...

@Stephen Westbrook: It even makes that "perfect" *THUMP* noise. But yeah, I'm okay. :D

@Nick Dagger: I agree. That's exactly what I was going for.

@jp2ykz: Yes, as long as you aren't drilling huge drops. :P That's a pretty decent idea, considering they both live off cheetos and non-alcoholic beer. I've tried videos, but he forgets them with in two days. >.>

@Daniel Vincent: I'm lots more curious about the dangers of parkour, honestly.

@Daniel Kelley: That's nearly impossible to convince someone; you know how ignorant people can be. I know it has risk, but I've seen a squirrel fall out of a tree. That's what I thought...

@Todd1: I'm going to read that article right now.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »
Have your father (and/or father's friend) have a nice talk with your local community advisor/leader/what-have-you, assuming you have one who has been in the game for a long time.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Pyrobyte

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »
We don't have one.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
Ask them what their sources are showing that parkour is dangerous. A doctor should understand the neccesity of evidence to make an argument ask him if he has searched pubmed for injury rates in parkour or similar sports. Has he surveyed traceurs on their injury rates, failing that what has he studied that indicates parkour is especially dangerous. Can he break down the physics of impact on concrete for an average mass traceur taking an average impact does have any idea what the average traceurs weighs, how strong he is, what the length, and height of an average traceurs techniques is?

You can not make a statistically valid argument for how dangerous parkour is right now because nobody has actually studied it enough to know.

I can offer you three logical arguments as to why parkour is less dangerous then most sports.

If you comb the data how injuries occur in sport you will see three broad patterns.

1. Player interaction, people get hurt when the get hit by other people. This does not happen in parkour, no slide tackles, no stiff arms, no face masks, no punches, kicks, throws etc.

2. Accelerators, a human body is not structural strong enough or neurological quickness to deal with falls in excess of 25 miles per hour very effectively, so falls while snowboarding, mt. biking, skateboarding, skiing, motorbiking, trampolines etc have far far higher injury rates and worse complications then falls while running or jumping as in track and field. Parkour has only one major potential accelerator gravity if you do stuff at height and mess up you will face major consequences, often the argument as to how dangerous parkour is comes down to the assumption most people make that we practice primarily at height.

3. Plant and twist sports, sports that regularly require you to plant on one foot and twist quickly to change direction are very hard on the knee and ankle so that a sport like soccer which seems relatively benign ends up having high incidence of injuries to to injuries to the ligaments of the knee and ankle from badly performed plant and twists. Again in parkour this is not a major issue as planting and twisting to change direction at speed unexpectedly is not a regular aspect of our practice.

Here is a non rigorous stastical argument as well, at Parkour Visions we have taught over a thousand athletes, in our classes have only had one major injury, Primal Fitness, Apex Movement, and the Monkey vault all have similar records.

Parkour when practiced intelligent is probably less dangerous then most sports.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Pyrobyte

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 05:44:08 PM »
Ask them what their sources are showing that parkour is dangerous. A doctor should understand the neccesity of evidence to make an argument ask him if he has searched pubmed for injury rates in parkour or similar sports. Has he surveyed traceurs on their injury rates, failing that what has he studied that indicates parkour is especially dangerous. Can he break down the physics of impact on concrete for an average mass traceur taking an average impact does have any idea what the average traceurs weighs, how strong he is, what the length, and height of an average traceurs techniques is?

You can not make a statistically valid argument for how dangerous parkour is right now because nobody has actually studied it enough to know.

I can offer you three logical arguments as to why parkour is less dangerous then most sports.

If you comb the data how injuries occur in sport you will see three broad patterns.

1. Player interaction, people get hurt when the get hit by other people. This does not happen in parkour, no slide tackles, no stiff arms, no face masks, no punches, kicks, throws etc.

2. Accelerators, a human body is not structural strong enough or neurological quickness to deal with falls in excess of 25 miles per hour very effectively, so falls while snowboarding, mt. biking, skateboarding, skiing, motorbiking, trampolines etc have far far higher injury rates and worse complications then falls while running or jumping as in track and field. Parkour has only one major potential accelerator gravity if you do stuff at height and mess up you will face major consequences, often the argument as to how dangerous parkour is comes down to the assumption most people make that we practice primarily at height.

3. Plant and twist sports, sports that regularly require you to plant on one foot and twist quickly to change direction are very hard on the knee and ankle so that a sport like soccer which seems relatively benign ends up having high incidence of injuries to to injuries to the ligaments of the knee and ankle from badly performed plant and twists. Again in parkour this is not a major issue as planting and twisting to change direction at speed unexpectedly is not a regular aspect of our practice.

Here is a non rigorous stastical argument as well, at Parkour Visions we have taught over a thousand athletes, in our classes have only had one major injury, Primal Fitness, Apex Movement, and the Monkey vault all have similar records.

Parkour when practiced intelligent is probably less dangerous then most sports.

Okay. 1, 2, and 3 are all very good points that I will mention.

If you don't mind me asking, what were those injuries? I'm just super-curious 24/7.