Author Topic: Elbow Protection  (Read 900 times)

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
  • No Inhibitions, No Limits
    • View Profile
Elbow Protection
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:35:03 PM »
Okay, so, to those of you who don't know, I was recently injured. :'( I fractured both elbows (the right more so than the left). It's been a little over a month since my injury. I am very well aware that I'm not ready to practice again. Today, I go to the doctor to get another Xray and MRI. Today he will tell me whether or not I can begin conditioning and practicing again using my arms.

So, my worries consist mainly of whether or not my elbows will be able to withstand the impact of a roll, or a kong vault. I plan on starting slow, strengthening my arms little by little. So, I plan to propose to my doctor as a compromise that I wear elbow protection for the next month or so. What is everyone's take on this?

Also if you agree with the elbow protection idea, what should I use? I don't want whatever I use to impede my mobility and speed. Any ideas on some lightweight, durable elbow protection that can allow me to move like normal?

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
Re: Elbow Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:06:43 PM »
Something like a knee brace, but for elbows, perhaps?
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 05:54:13 AM »
I think it would be better to reduce the demands of your training than to try and do more advanced things while using supports. Practising very simple movements is not going to be wasted time and using supports won't let you get used to that body part's new condition and strength. You're going to have to get used to moving without support sooner or later, and the earlier you start it the more time you have to get used to the new feelings.
I suppose it just depends whether you think you think you can stop yourself trying difficult things :)

If you feel a support is necessary then all you really need is to find something to provide a bit of resistance to movement. There are a bunch of elbow supports available from sports shops, all of which work in basically the same way, or you can achieve the same effect with a long elastic bandage wrapped and tied tightly.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 06:39:27 AM »
Don't to advanced movements with a crutch like Dave said.

Now, how did you fracture both elbows?

wlf

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:04:31 AM »
how in hell did you mange to fracture both elbows?

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
  • No Inhibitions, No Limits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
Now, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I REALLY appreciate your advice, and all, but I think you may have misunderstood me.

What I'm asking about is Protection, not Support.

I'm well aware that I have to take it slow. It's not like I'm gonna go out for a 2 story drop (which, by the way, I would never consider doing normally anyways) or be taking any unnecessary risks. I plan on taking it nice and slow, starting with mild conditioning the first 2 weeks, then practicing soft moves maybe a few rolls (mostly on my shoulders as opposed to my arms). Then I'll condition back to my former strength.

I want Protection for my arms in case I fall or bang my elbows when practicing (which I shouldn't, but it's better safe than sorry). Support would only make me reliant, and would make me unable to perform when I no longer need the support. I prefer to do things the natural way.

So I just got back from the doctor. I'm about 80% healed, a callous-like substance is formed, so it should be solidifying in 2-3 weeks. Yeah, I don't know all the technical terms, so that's how I understand it.

OH! and to answer your questions, I fractured both my elbows taking a nasty spill off a failed Kong vault over a chest height wall. Problem is, the wall dipped on the other side about another 3-4 feet, so roughly about 7 feet fall headfirst. So it was either my neck or my arms, so I chose my neck to save.

wlf

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
damn dude, thats gotta suck. good luck with the healing and stuff...oh and next time dont fall on your elbows or your neck on second thought dont fall at all.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, but I would put elbow supports and elbow protection in the same category of devices that try and hide weaknesses.
There is no need to perform movements where you risk banging your elbows again. As I said before, it's best to stick to even more simple movements where there is no risk of further serious injury. Its a good rule for everyone to avoid situations that might cause serious injury, because there is no benefit that outweighs the consequence of a serious injury.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association