Author Topic: UF's Response to "The Freerunner" Magazine  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
UF's Response to "The Freerunner" Magazine
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:01:24 AM »
Recently Urban Freeflow came out with their own online magazine, Jump Magazine. It has two issues out so far and claims a viewcount of over one million.

On a video celebrating their success and the newest issue, called "XXX Sexy Jump - Parkour and Freerunning," they were asked the question "I thought APK already had a magazine...? :P" by DundeePK. Their response?

"That thing produced by APK looks nothing like a magazine. It's basically just a blog page that pitches itself as an online mag. It couldn't be any further from the truth."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaUZgaW_YyQ

Not posting this to cause anger or anything, just wanted the community to see what other organizations think of our work.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
Re: UF's Response to "The Freerunner" Magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:55:50 AM »
Really, it doesn't matter. The Freerunner is great, and I love the content. With UF's Jump Magazine I like the pictures. But honestly it doesn't really matter. :)
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Jacob Siler

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
Free runner is a good magazine. I don't think it was a response to the freerunner, but at the same time it is low of them to slam freerunner by that statement.
"That thing produced by APK looks nothing like a magazine. It's basically just a blog page that pitches itself as an online mag. It couldn't be any further from the truth."
Jake Siler
Doctorate of Chiropractic student at Life University

Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science from Western Michigan University

*post are not a medical suggestion, or expert advice. Just sharing knowledge and experience.

Offline /shane/

• Mangabey
  • Parkour is......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:55:51 AM »
Haha, wow.  ::) I've lived in Europe and considering how much they hate Americans and our lack of manners they're generally pretty hypocritical. APK has much more friendly/intelligent discussions in my opinion, while they seem to put a lot more effort into trying to be "cool" and publicity. Don't get me wrong I think Urban Freeflow rocks, I just think they should have a little more respect for everyone interested in PK/FR and quit acting like APK and UF are somehow rivals.
A state of mind when you are performing a physical movement that is neither too simple or too complex. Your focus rules out all other mental processes, your mind has no time for words, worries, or distractions. There is only timing, spatial awareness, and the feeling of satisfaction as you land

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:36:20 PM »
^ Agreed Shane.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Zoolu

• Guenons
  • He who hesitates is lost....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
Agreed.

Not to mention - we'll be getting our first "print" magazine soon. :D
With great power, comes great responsibility.

Watch out for pterodactyls!

Flow like water - break the law of gravity.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:46:03 AM »
To be honest, TFR was meant as an online newsletter. That's totally different from an online magazine. We've been taking slow steps towards becoming an online magazine but we want to make sure people are satisfied with the content first. If you've got cool pictures, ... well you've got cool pictures! How's that going to help people train better? Not bashing it because I think it's really freaking cool, but it has a different purpose. I feel that their magazine is made to inspire people and draw attention to how cool they are. On the other hand... if you've got good content written by some great authors... now you're doing something that can tangibly help people! We give out all sorts of unique training information in TFR, most of which you won't find elsewhere. The other bits are exceptionally written articles by members of the community and we help shine light on those people's blogs, etc. because we feel their content rocks!

I'm not terribly sure about this because I don't visit UF all that much, but does their Jump Magazine feature community traceurs, or are all the articles written by the UF team?

...Oh, and a TFR "magazine" format will be out any day now...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:47:52 AM by Leon Mederos »
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:52:25 AM »
...Oh, and a TFR "magazine" format will be out any day now...  ;)

Yay!!! That is exciting. :D

Offline 3run

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
Guy's just keep doing what your doing .....if you ever require any behind the scenes like pictures from Chase's up comming movies Beat the World or Death Race 2  or any of the 3Run adventures we  have .
We would be happy to give you exclusive  (For your magazine only ) pictures and information.

Keep up the great work .
peace out.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
Haha, thanks Cane! We'll be in touch soon...

Offline Janine

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Pacific Northwest Parkour Association
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
Wow guys, I'm more and more in love with our community as this thread lengthens.

Let me just start out by saying that I've got nothing but respect for what UF is doing with their magazine.  When I heard that they'd be printing, I didn't think to myself, "Shit! They beat me to it!" or wish them any ill will. I was excited to see where they'd go with it.  - it's like watching a friend at a jam nail a move you've been working on before you do.  You don't hate them, or get jealous.  It doesn't mean that when you nail the trick it'll mean less to you.  You'll get that move, if you keep workig on it, and you'll put your own twist on it too.  I'm confident enough in our community, our writers, Leon, and myself to not be threatened.  That leaves us in a place where we can enjoy their work, while working steadily and whole heartedly on our own.

Secondly. I don't see any reason to namecall over this.  UF has a beautiful piece of work, so do we, and they're completely different things. Plenty of room for both.  If UF can inspire kids to go train, to tack up posters of traceurs doing amazing things on their walls and idolize people who push the limits of the human form instead of the latest pop star .. Well that's great!

My goal for The Freerunner was always a little different though.  When I took the position as editor, I imagined the piece as a yearlong extension of the late nights at national jams.  I wanted a place where leaders of their communities could kick off their proverbial shoes, sit back, and tell us what they've been working on.  Too often, great things go down (like rochester's amazingly successful leave no trace jams, or the parkour park in Texas) that the nation as a whole has no idea about.  The Freerunner is meant as a megaphone to rally us to do good, and do well. I wanted a way for us to get to know each other better, to include up and coming communities, to highlight traceurs who are doing good things in their communities using parkour. Every once and a while, we get pretty pictures too... But I hoped to use The Freerunner to inspire through a medium of action. 

Sidenote: please excuse any typos. This was written on an iPhone because I was too impatient to wait to get to a computer.

<3
Janine   
Get your hooks in!

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 09:16:45 AM »
To be honest, I have liked UF's magazine. Of course, it with no doubt has gotten it's influence from skateboarding magazines- not surprising (And not necessarily a bad thing either). I like the photos a lot, and on top of that I think their articles are actually quite informative.

~David

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »
Wow guys, I'm more and more in love with our community as this thread lengthens.

Let me just start out by saying that I've got nothing but respect for what UF is doing with their magazine.  When I heard that they'd be printing, I didn't think to myself, "Shit! They beat me to it!" or wish them any ill will. I was excited to see where they'd go with it.  - it's like watching a friend at a jam nail a move you've been working on before you do.  You don't hate them, or get jealous.  It doesn't mean that when you nail the trick it'll mean less to you.  You'll get that move, if you keep workig on it, and you'll put your own twist on it too.  I'm confident enough in our community, our writers, Leon, and myself to not be threatened.  That leaves us in a place where we can enjoy their work, while working steadily and whole heartedly on our own.

Secondly. I don't see any reason to namecall over this.  UF has a beautiful piece of work, so do we, and they're completely different things. Plenty of room for both.  If UF can inspire kids to go train, to tack up posters of traceurs doing amazing things on their walls and idolize people who push the limits of the human form instead of the latest pop star .. Well that's great!

My goal for The Freerunner was always a little different though.  When I took the position as editor, I imagined the piece as a yearlong extension of the late nights at national jams.  I wanted a place where leaders of their communities could kick off their proverbial shoes, sit back, and tell us what they've been working on.  Too often, great things go down (like rochester's amazingly successful leave no trace jams, or the parkour park in Texas) that the nation as a whole has no idea about.  The Freerunner is meant as a megaphone to rally us to do good, and do well. I wanted a way for us to get to know each other better, to include up and coming communities, to highlight traceurs who are doing good things in their communities using parkour. Every once and a while, we get pretty pictures too... But I hoped to use The Freerunner to inspire through a medium of action. 

Sidenote: please excuse any typos. This was written on an iPhone because I was too impatient to wait to get to a computer.

<3
Janine   

After reading what Janine said I've realized I do have more respect for UF. And they were they ones that got me into parkour as well, other than Jump London. Man, I've let other peoples opinions choose for me. I think I need some time to reevaluate some things.

Offline Jon E

• Patas
  • JFC Middleweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »
I didn't know about APK till after I found UF so I was reading the first issue of Jump and I thought it was great. I liked the interviews with different Traceurs. But now that I've seen the Free Runner, I think they're both great!

Sidenote: I don't think they should have ragged on APK though. That was a little disrespectful.
Parkour Park in construction!
(Precision jumps added)
"One becomes two becomes three becomes four
Our sound waves run your city like parkour"

... the only rules in parkour are the Laws of Physics

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
In case any of you haven't heard of it yet, there is another magazine called "SPIKED Parkour and Action Sports" that is on it's fourth edition.. it's both online and print.

http://www.getspiked.co.uk/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:09:21 PM by Muhammad »