Author Topic: integrating un-naturalness into training  (Read 3447 times)

naturalninja

integrating un-naturalness into training
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
i was thinking:)

i recently started Escrima (heres the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima ) and i love to dance, stand on my hands, etc,

but i dont ever want to get injured, so i was thinking to keep things natural what should i do?

do less throwing 'cause of all the swinging my arm in escrima? or should i condition in some way to make up for it? etc,

help and discuss please:)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: integrating un-naturalness into training
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »
Escrima - they should show you some conditioning. Warm up your arms well so you're not pulling muscles. If they don't show you, go to the Frank Forencich thread here in "Going Natural" and start doing the Antidote - first with empty hands, but then with your sticks as you warm up.

If your arms are feeling fatigued after escrima, take it easier with lifting, carrying, throwing, arm defense [ie boxing], QM and climbing the next day. Give the muscles a chance to heal and get stronger, and then you should be good to go. If they're feeling stiff, try Antidote or some other joint mobilization routine like Pavel's "SuperJoints"

naturalninja

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:47:23 PM »
Escrima - they should show you some conditioning. Warm up your arms well so you're not pulling muscles. If they don't show you, go to the Frank Forencich thread here in "Going Natural" and start doing the Antidote - first with empty hands, but then with your sticks as you warm up.

If your arms are feeling fatigued after escrima, take it easier with lifting, carrying, throwing, arm defense [ie boxing], QM and climbing the next day. Give the muscles a chance to heal and get stronger, and then you should be good to go. If they're feeling stiff, try Antidote or some other joint mobilization routine like Pavel's "SuperJoints"

so condition so as to balance out the muscles i use in escrima? and then take it easy on upper body because escrima is mostly upper body (i think. i just started:S)

the antidote (link for anyone joining discussion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3uGSVZq4KE ) looks cool, lots of easy, flowing movements.

looks cool, but how i reckon it needs scaling up a bit in difficulty, faster, bigger movemets, seems pretty natural , lots of hoping, bending, etc) i supose doing with sticks would be like some kinda cross between throwing and carrying?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:49:38 PM by naturalninja »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »
Yeah - I'd try warming up first, then some conditioning to strengthen you for escrima, and the arm muscles you aren't using. Definitely do wrist mobility exercises, and shoulders. YouTube I see looks very cool.
Antidote doesn't need to be scaled up if you're using it for flex & joint mobility.
It's DEFENSE. Just what I was seeing is in Escrima they have you work with the sticks first, and then you go to open hand - totally opposite most martial arts

naturalninja

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:53:42 AM »
and the arm muscles you aren't using. Definitely do wrist mobility exercises, and shoulders.

which muscles am i noy using do you know, any links? sorry for being a n00b:(

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »
Just looking at the videos... I'm guessing you don't normally put your wrists and shoulders through the range of motion used in escrima. I'm more of an escrima noob than you. My wife showed me a little cane, and I've tried that. It looks similar, but I think it's Chinese, not Filipino.

http://www.kalieskrima.com/eskrima_videos.htm has 2 very cool videos. Especially the "knife concepts" video.