Author Topic: Sore Lower Legs  (Read 2213 times)

Offline 20draws10

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • live life to the fullest or why live at all
    • View Profile
Sore Lower Legs
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »
This has been an ongoing problem for a while now.

When I run my lower legs, around the calves, starts to burn then become sore. It feels almost like it is the inside on my leg, if that makes any sense. Then after I run it is painful to walk for a few hours afterwards.
I have been told that this is caused by not being properly hydrated. So I started drinking LOTS of water. Yet the problem still persists.
It really isn't effecting my performance at all, its just annoying to always be in pain.
Is there anything I should be doing for this or any way I can get it to go away.

Oh, and this started happening a while after I got my orthopaedic inserts for my shoes (I'm running with them in). So I'm not sure if that would be a contributing factor or not...been thinking about starting barefoot running, but I'm a bit cautious with my legs how they are now, I don't want to make them worse.
97% of people say "oh $#%@" when their car slides on ice, the other 3% are from Canada and say, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Offline Nathaniel Kauffman

• Patas
  • Chaotic
    • View Profile
Re: Sore Lower Legs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:26:15 AM »
I'll be the first to say it:  run barefoot....but actually, that would probably increase your pain in the calves, because barefoot running is hard on the calves.  Nevermind.
*Yawns*

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
Quite possibly is a factor.  Orthotics---anyway... You might have a very minor case of shin splints.  Look up the many threads on this topic.
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline BrMays

• Patas
  • Unregistered Hypercam 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »
I had the exact same thing start up a few years ago.  It was pretty mild, so I didn't even bother checking it out.  What I finally did was scale back on my running for a whole summer (fewer running sessions a week, and more time to rest in between).  It may have been a conditioning issue, because when I went back to the old routine in the fall it never came back.  Shoe age may have contributed too.  :P
Minneapolis / Western Wisconsin______
Practicing this month: Front Handspring | Kongs | One-handed Reverse

Offline 20draws10

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »
I tried barefoot running today and I have to say that my legs hurt much worse than they did before. I also noticed that my calves where extremely tense. I relaxed and massaged them for a good 30 minutes before they started to relax at all. Then I ran again and after about 5  minutes and they had tensed up again. Its now about 4 hours after I stopped running the second time and they have not relaxed at all and still hurt.
I'm thinking it may be a conditioning issue. I went from practically no running to running for 2 hours and sprints in a matter of 3 days.
Should I try and back off my running as much as I can? Ice or heat my legs? Or just lay off them for a while and see what happens?
97% of people say "oh $#%@" when their car slides on ice, the other 3% are from Canada and say, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Offline Casey Boatwright

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:33:55 PM »
that definately sounds like the prob to me.    take more time to ease yourself into conditioning.
You live a filtered life.-
Everyone dreams of changing the world, I only want to change it back.-
In Myth, God Is Force.

Offline BrMays

• Patas
  • Unregistered Hypercam 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
Yep.  Like most overuse injuries the only fix is to back off wait when it's ready again.  Then gradually scale back up to what you were doing before.
Minneapolis / Western Wisconsin______
Practicing this month: Front Handspring | Kongs | One-handed Reverse

Offline GoldenSlumbers

• Patas
  • The Real Geoff Pieper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »
If you're just getting into barefoot running too, you don't wanna dive in headfirst.  There are muscles in your feet that probably haven't moved like in that in who knows how long.  Start slow, and practice good technique until you perfect it.
“Using no way as way, Having no limitation as limitation.” - Bruce Lee
"The more I see the less I know for sure." - John Lennon

Offline 20draws10

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 03:58:30 AM »
Thanks

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 06:02:50 AM »
Rest, and stretch out your calves

roll your plantar fascia too, and work on hammy flexibility
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book