Author Topic: Finally a real life situation for Parkour!  (Read 7927 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Finally a real life situation for Parkour!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 06:37:08 AM »
Wow, lots going on in this thread!!

I'll just say that I'm really duissapointed to see that someone's first "Real Life" Parkour situation was to run away from a security gueard while practicing Parkour, isn't that kind of redundant? "I had to use parkour because I was practicing Parkour" ... thats' kind of like practicing martial arts form in a park, and when someone laughs at you (it happens all the time, people are ignorant) you turn around and kick their ass, and then say "See, I really needed martial arts for real life".

As for Law Enforcement, V I agree with many of your points, but not the basic premise, you're basically saying they'd catch you whether you were guilty or not, but if you're not guilty, you wouldn't mind being "caught" and you wouldn't be running. just like this situation, in 99 cases out of 100 they will ask you to leave and nothing more.

In that other 1 case ... Sat, please send me an email, I'm very interested in this.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 06:59:53 AM »
TXPK has had problems with Security guards and such.  Even sometimes thinking we should run but we never did.  I would encourage you to never run from an officer...even if he is a rent a cop.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 07:30:02 AM »
battery park city in ny is now informed on parkour, and will issue a 25$ fine to those they see practicing it on the premesis.

if theres something that someone really wants to do in battery, we might still go there, and if the parks department comes around, we'll probably jet the half a block we need to to get out of their jurisdiction. that being said, the last time we encountered enforcement there, they just told us to leave, and they informed us of how they were supposed to fine us.

in most cases, be respectful, explain what you are doing, and odds are they will politely ask you to leave. ive even had cases where they were cool with us staying there and training.

sat's event sounds like it wasnt really in the name of parkour, it was trespassing, it sucks that you got cops that wanted to fine you, because mostly they just tell you to get the hell down. you could always just bring a tennis ball with you and say you threw it up there accidentally and wanted to go get it.

police officers are trained to subdue. parkour would help them catch and subdue suspects. firefighters could also gain alot from it.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 07:42:25 AM »
battery park city in ny is now informed on parkour, and will issue a 25$ fine to those they see practicing it on the premesis.

if theres something that someone really wants to do in battery, we might still go there, and if the parks department comes around, we'll probably jet the half a block we need to to get out of their jurisdiction. that being said, the last time we encountered enforcement there, they just told us to leave, and they informed us of how they were supposed to fine us.

in most cases, be respectful, explain what you are doing, and odds are they will politely ask you to leave. ive even had cases where they were cool with us staying there and training.

sat's event sounds like it wasnt really in the name of parkour, it was trespassing, it sucks that you got cops that wanted to fine you, because mostly they just tell you to get the hell down. you could always just bring a tennis ball with you and say you threw it up there accidentally and wanted to go get it.

police officers are trained to subdue. parkour would help them catch and subdue suspects. firefighters could also gain alot from it.

Hahaha thats pretty funny about the tennis ball because thats exactly what we did except that the tennins ball was already up there and we wanted to get it down but it was to blow it up anyway different subject.  These cops asked absolutely no questions at all NONE.  They even had two separate cars in case we tried to get down on one side of the building.

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 04:10:19 PM »
i dont know if the military, cops and firefighters will benefit from pk in their work place. a) military loaded with gear and weapons, hard enough to run as it is b) cops have fairly restricting belts, lots of crap on them making it difficult to vault (i would imagine) and c) firefighers have tanks on...just my two cents
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 04:34:43 PM »
when you realize the fact that whether a firefighter or a police or military officer, odds are at some point youll have to get from a to b. parkour is something that these people already do, they just arent specifically trained in it.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 04:55:35 PM »
the difference is when something is in their way, they use C4 instead of going over

Offline The Boom Collective

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 09:20:12 AM »
I'm a civilian federal firefighter at a military base here in Texas. Although I think parkour could help make us fit and condition our minds to recognize alternative routes to get out of situations, it would be very impractical. If you are at an emergency, you are wearing at least 80 pounds of gear, which is very cumbersome and restrictive. There is no way even the most skilled traceur in the world could perform in protective gear like that.
And while we are on the subject... law enforcement and military would definately benefit from parkour. They are expected to jump over and through shit all the time.  But imagine if criminals would practice and impliment parkour into their 'jobs'.  Everyone from high profile jewel thievs to even your low end street pharmacists would be untouchable in an urban setting.  Sorry. I write short stories on my free time and when I saw this post it got my mind churning.  I'm not implying or condoning anything of the sort.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2006, 10:20:46 AM »
Our next tutorial DVD is going to include a free lock picking set for the 1st 100 customers :P
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2006, 10:24:06 AM »
hahaha, i wish...is there gonna be another tutorial DVD?

Offline colin jensen

• Patas
  • Free or Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2006, 10:35:47 AM »
i was also wondering that because i have the first one and it does say volume 1.

V i would just like to say that that was an amazing story. you should write a book.

and i also completely agree with THE BOOM COLLECTIVE. no one will be able to do vaults in 80+ pound gear. not ever gear. so training them would be a waste of time. anyway just thought i would add in.
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

The universe may not always play fair, but atleast it has one hell of a sense of humor.

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2006, 11:45:41 AM »
i have to get the first one...just to have and referr to, ya know

Offline The Boom Collective

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2006, 01:27:59 PM »
Our next tutorial DVD is going to include a free lock picking set for the 1st 100 customers :P

Ha!!! I need one!.......... the tutorial dvd... not the lock pick set... :-X