Author Topic: Losing Fat Without Sacrificing Gains  (Read 816 times)

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Losing Fat Without Sacrificing Gains
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
Okay, well here I am, a endurance-athlete turned sprinter trying to maximize my benefits.

I know there is a diet that will allow me to burn off calories without sacrificing performance or gains.  My question exactly is what is it?  I know I'll be needing to have a large protein intake.  But the offset would be to have a restriction in carbohydrates + fats.  I know enough that I have to create a deficit.  But which to limit out more?  carbs or fats.  I feel I have leniency towards using fats better than carbs, so I'm thinking about larger constrictions on carbs than fats.

The only problem with this is that my budget is very limited.  Should I get protein supplements and pump it up while consuming as many meats as I can?  Of course I'll have to completely cut off grains and potatoes.  Difficult, but worth it when I shed off my extra pound or two of fat and replace it with much needed muscle improve my sprinting abilities (after all, speed = mass to force ratio).

My plan right now is:

- Lots of veggies.  Especially low calorie ones like celery, lettuce (have to cut back on dressings :/), other delicious things.
- Some fruits (gotta get the good carbs).
- Lots of meats and fish.
- Dairy products & eggs of course.
- When meat isn't present substitute the lack with protein supplement + nuts?

Thoughts?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: Losing Fat Without Sacrificing Gains
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
Real foods in general.

Oils are cheap for their cals per cost. Load up on the coconut milk/oil. medium chain triglycerides are what our bodies prefer in terms of fat for metabolism so that should help you get started on the burning.

You'll probably lean out in season though so I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. Unless you're carrying an extra like 15-20 lbs..

What you listed is fine though.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book