Author Topic: Why do you Parkour?  (Read 9477 times)

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
Why do you Parkour?
« on: November 22, 2005, 10:57:24 PM »
Simple...I will leave it to that.  Why do you Parkour?  Don't give me any of this..."I cant answer that" crap "because you cant define parkour" and blah blah blah.  If you are one of those people just dont post on this thread.  Thanks
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you Parkour?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 11:55:11 PM »
for hott girls and money
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Gearsighted

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 03:37:51 AM »
I practice Parkour because it's a perfect physical extension of various philosphies I've held for some time now, namely the Taoist concept of stillness within movement and Buddhist mindfulness. I love the fact that its purpose is simpler, more effecient movement through varied environments rather than more complicated and dangerous tricks as a sign of progression. I love the feeling when I go out for a run and am constantly moving for an hour without any extraneous thought. To top all of that off, I have met some of my best friends through Parkour and have had more fun training with this small group of Traceurs than I could have thought possible. It's an amazing feeling to share a dedication and drive for a similar purpose with other people, and to be able to go out to train and push each other without even trying. Last, but not least, is the opportunities I've had to teach other people about the art. I think I've been very lucky getting involved with the right people at the right times and have been given some awesome chances to enlighten many various people as to the fact that redefining your environment is not only possible, but it's rather easy and fun.

So yeah, that's why I'm still practicing after 2 years, and why I will continue to do so for many years to come. :D

Offline urbanparkourdude

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Urban parkour
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 10:49:55 AM »
I will be honest and cut to the chase I like it because it is fun...

upk.proboards2.com

Offline gmpianoman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 01:10:09 PM »
cuz its the shit.  Nah jk.  Parkour is me.  It's become as generic as going to sleep every night.  I cant stop.  I parkour because i can.

I parkour because i can....man that sounded cool.

Offline RhayneD

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 04:07:05 PM »
The reason I parkour is because, well, it's awesome! j/k. Really, gear said it best and I do parkour for many of the same reasons. Also, climbing and "adventuring" have been a big part of who I am my whole life, parkour just let me bring those aspects into my urban environment. No need to grab ropes and climbing boots or rent an SUV. All I need to do is go outside!
"Definition is not the grand path. It is understanding that is the true destination." -RGM.
"Forget blood. Parkour runs through MY veins." -RGM

Offline provin1327

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 09:20:27 PM »
Its a fun way to trait physically. And learning somthing where you can just go jumping like a ninja over people in the roof tops, and being able to run from cops  ;D it's awsome. Its somthing when people see it they look twice, or they cant stop looking.

Offline LockDown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 10:55:41 PM »
I parkour because I love the simpleness of its goal, to have no place you cannot reach, and the philosophies behind it such as self discovery through obstacles. I have kept doing parkour because of the way my mind is calm and searching like I am meditating but constantly active. Plus it keeps me fit and healthy it is the perfect discipline to me.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 12:12:38 AM »
Because nobody can stop me!

I do parkour because it seems to fit into my life so perfectly. The abrupt hault of my previous sport caused that void everyone always talks about... parkour filled it in perfectly. Parkour is parkour. im sure i dont have to explain that to the people on this site.
The motivation to do this just comes out of nowhere! I dont care if i get better or not, i just want to go out all the time... and i see no signs of that easing up at all!

Offline Spencer M

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Vertical Pedestrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 11:53:06 AM »
I Parkour because when i'm not doing parkour all I want to do is Parkour. Also becaue it's a very subtle sport, not many people in the US know of it.  I mean...I could have picked up a skateboard and then what would i have been?......JEST ANOTHER FREAKIN' SKATEBOARDER!......but no.  I parkour.
I eat the talking bees because i'm George Washington Christ

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 01:58:24 PM »
I do Parkour because preparedness is vital. Parkour serves to prepare - and to strengthen - my body, my mind, and my spirit. I strive to improve myself in the areas of athletics, scholarship and relationships.

Also, just to clarify something; Parkour is a proper noun, not a verb. You wouldn't say "I Karate" or "I Ballet" or "I Soccer" would you? :)

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 02:51:43 PM »
Ya it really doesnt sound right when people say "i parkour"

because I am the only one who parkours. and ill parkour your face if you dont stop saying you parkour!

but ya, you DO parkour...

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 04:45:05 PM »
I started because it looked cool, but parkour has helped me in ways I never could have forseen. I had some serious problems in my social life a few months after I started, and I feel parkour has really helped me to overcome it. The whole 'overcoming obstacles in parkour being a reflection and facilitation of overcoming obstacles in real life' thing isn't just a bunch of words to me.
PK4LIFE!

Offline Notorious

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »
For a number of reasons:

A) i got into it cause it looked cool, i saw an article in some magazine and saw guys running on walls, climbing up city buildings, hanging upside down, etc.
B) it's fun
C) it's different (note: this isn't a reason, but more of a plus.  i like it when people ask what i'm doing and i have to explain, and they either get it and they think it's cool, or they don't get it and they think i'm stupid.  i guess it also gives me a feeling of rebelliousness)
D) i've always had an interest in two things: being a superhero, and being a movie star.  now, i can make superhero movies.  or be a superhero.  around boyertown i'm known as The Nuclear Bowel.
E) it's fun
F) chicks
G) there's a strange comaraderie about it.  example, i went on UF back in the day, and when i met sov, there was an instant friendship because of parkour. we knew and trusted each other enough because of parkour and the forums and stuff, and were able to meet up, having known nearly nothing about each other.
H) it's fun
I)  it's what you make it, there are defined boundaries, but, when going over an obstacle, and i monkey vault, no one's going to say "oooh, you definetly should have speed-vaulted that one, points off for that, and 3 minutes in the penalty box"
J) we're all learning together.  me and sov recently got together and practiced our rail to rail precisions, and it showed me that, although he is far more advanced than i am, he and i are still practicing a new art with plenty of room for expansion.
K) it's fun.

i think that pretty much covers it.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 04:36:40 PM »
its fun and challenging and good exercise and outdoors.  it challenges both your body and your mind.  it can be done solo or in groups.  it can be done anywhere, anytime.  its fun to intrigue people and make them look at the environment and the human body in a way they didnt before...
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 07:24:52 PM »
This was what I had up on VA-Parkour somewhere at some point before we changed to the blog front page :

For me, parkour is my way of expressing everything I believe in; release, uniqueness, personal style, freedom, fun, the list goes on. It is my way of staying physically fit, mentally acute, and constantly aware of my surroundings. Parkour has allowed me to see the world around me in a thousand newborn and vivid ways. It has given me the ability to paint my own way across mile-wide canvases. Parkour has introduced me to like-minded friends who have become like brothers in the span of a single year. It has given me the confidence and ability to approach all situations with the mindset of "No obstacles, only oppurtunities."

That's my story :]

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 08:52:26 AM »
i do it because i hope it will be famous one day and i can make money. i am just trying to get in early on the next big thing.

but seriously though, i do it so in a time of crisis i will be more prepared to help myself and others.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 11:44:47 AM »
i like your response klayman ;)
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 06:11:57 AM »
I practice Parkour for these reasons that I can think of right now:

- Parkour has totally changed the way I see my environment. These rails, walls, walkways, sidewalk boarders, ledges, and other architecture that we all are so familiar with, which serve to confine, have all disappeared since I started getting into Parkour. Now there are only possibilities. Endless possibilities for play.

- It gives me a reason to maintain and improve my physical shape. It is so much easier for me to keep up a regular workout routine if I keep in mind that if I don't work out, I'll never be able to improve my flow, control, abilities, or be able to pull of x move that I couldn't get last week, etc.

- Like many of you, I have met like-minded people who are awesome and have become very close friends very quickly.

- It is a very interesting thing to say you do. ;)

- I'm almost a level 30 Traceur, and soon I'll be able to fly and turn invisible!

Edit: Very good topic, btw! And I am thoroughly enjoying the responses everyone is giving. I really think this forum is the best!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 06:14:16 AM by ohfomehxr »

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Ando

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • CHICAGO PARKOUR AERO
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 05:39:40 PM »
I like to do Parkour because it makes me feel connected to the physical world.  As soon as you move over something in a unique way its like you become a part of it in history, and you can always go back and experience it again, and better yet if other people are there to experience with you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 05:42:40 PM by Ando »