Author Topic: Free Running offered as a High School sport in VA! NEED YOUR SUPPORT!  (Read 2307 times)

Offline mynameisAndrew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, but it looks like all of us share a common art. Free Running. I'm trying to get this amazing sport offered at schools in VA. Right now, I just made a group on Facebook called Free Runners for VA High Schools!, and I'm trying to get a club started to show how popular this sport really is! I feel that with enough of the right exposure and support, we could get this sport blended in to American culture. I was referred to this website by a fellow free runner and I need your help into getting this sport into schools.. I need ideas and support. Once I have everything I need, I need to prepare a presentation to the Sports Director in my school. Anyone want to help out?

Offline SlØth

• Mangabey
  • Virtus
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
Re: Free Running offered as a High School sport in VA! NEED YOUR SUPPORT!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »
Virginia Tech has a pretty strong parkour scene, and one if it's members, Leon, is part of the tribe.  They could provide you some info and are close to home.  Try e-mailing them, http://www.parkour.org.vt.edu/.
facebook // youtube // Flickr // North Carolina Parkour

Offline Befresh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »
truthfully the best idea is to show them through, demonstraition. things not to forget. you need to shows what actions you are taking to keep all participants safe. you need to have instructors or atleast more qailified people present at any time of the meeting. also be able to show the people who you are presenting these parkour to things they can try and where they can try them. be able to explain how each step is taken. above all else explain the atvantages of having parkour within the town you are doing it in. if in case your stumped that would be (physical fitness, with them agreeing it brings crime down because it is a sanctioned event, great way new age way for the people throughtout the town to connect. explain it will be free to anyone who owns sweats and sneakers.) in short talk about all the things that we as freerunners already know. if you run out of points bring up the point that they already run clubs and courses for it in london. you just are willing to do it for free. sell it and remember what they say remember two things be perfessional at all times and remember that the world still isnt ready for us so be subtle about it. good luck.

Offline Blansher

• Guenons
  • Spiritual Creamyness
    • View Profile
    • ParkourVirginia.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »
Sweet, I see you took my advice. And whats this, people already offering ideas for help. Wo'd a thunk it.
"Ever see someone yelling insane things about the apocalypse on street corners in the city?

This is the online version."  -Andy Keller-

Offline koala jackson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
hey i live in va too where do you go to school? and is there anything i can do to help?
+FEARLESS+

Offline Travis S

• Patas
  • das flow
    • View Profile
    • UMass Parkour
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »
You're going to need coachs with experience, insurance, workout programs, locations, kids are going to want apparel, etc. Look at what other sports teams do and copy a lot of it, then once you've a plan, show them jump westminster hahah

Offline jenchrysalis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 09:13:44 AM »
Hiring a good coach or a trainer would be a good step on the first place. You might really need a good trainer to train you well to improve your skills. What about looking for a right person first in doing the task?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:02:55 PM by jenchrysalis »