Author Topic: 3sec precision rule  (Read 9862 times)

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
3sec precision rule
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
So another buddy of mine is always telling me that if you dont hold the precision for 3sec that it doesnt count or some ish like that. Normally when i do precisions and start to lose my balance i instinctively jump back to the other precision(180 precision) to save it basically or link it to something else. So my question is has anybody else have this "3 second rule"???
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Michael Mayer

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: 3sec precision rule
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
I do the same thing as you, if I lose my balance, I just try to make the best of it.

Offline Travis S

• Patas
  • das flow
    • View Profile
    • UMass Parkour
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »
I think its important to be able to stabilize yourself, so that's not a bad training method, but also train doing them quickly, and also try doing a 180 hop on them, and try combing them, there's so many fun ways to drill precisions.

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:13:22 AM »
Never heard of that,but I have heard of the six second rule for tricking and flips; if you fall down before six seconds it doesn't count :)

Offline Alex frogger Brown

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:51:05 AM »
personally, when drilling it, i dont count it unless i could hold it indefinitely
*PMPA*
"And traceurs we shall be family, for motion sets us free. Power descendeth forth from our hands, as our feet carry us swiftly across the land. May our flow be like water to thee, and in play shall we forever be. In nomine Belle, et Yamakasi, et Spiritu APK. Amen."

Offline BaptizedByFire

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:20:56 AM »
personally, when drilling it, i dont count it unless i could hold it indefinitely

You should know whether you stuck a move perfect or if you totally booger'd. What if you overbalanced just a little, but enough to keep you from holding on the rail? It should "count" just as much as completely missing the rail and falling on your face.

but regarding the three-second rule... the only rules in parkour are the Laws of Physics

Offline Will Ahlberg

• Mangabey
  • If you pursue, your body will deliver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:21:34 AM »
I just make sure i am stable before i move again unless im doin a combo. if you jump higher and not so straight like a laser, you can land easier. you will also find that you can actually go farther (at least i did) when you jump up more.
[img width= height=]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3039/unigorillaface01copy1.jpg[/img]     6'5"  210 lbs

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »
There have been times when I stayed on a rail for 10 seconds and knew "I didn't have it" and times when I hit it perfectly and was off it in a split second. I'd say the "3 second rule" is a good idea for training - but always progress - next week make it 4 seconds, then 5 then 10 :)

The "3 Second Rule" I have heard before even from Sebastien Foucan is that if you don't do the move in 3 seconds back away. This is the "no hesitation" rule and it is meant as a way for you to hone your skill of knowing when you are capable of something or not.  Like all rules, it is meant to be used judiciously :)
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:43 AM »
I think its important to be able to stabilize yourself, so that's not a bad training method, but also train doing them quickly, and also try doing a 180 hop on them, and try combing them, there's so many fun ways to drill precisions.

this is the exact way i train for speed. the 180 is used so i can keep moving and not slow myself down

There have been times when I stayed on a rail for 10 seconds and knew "I didn't have it" and times when I hit it perfectly and was off it in a split second. I'd say the "3 second rule" is a good idea for training - but always progress - next week make it 4 seconds, then 5 then 10 :)

The "3 Second Rule" I have heard before even from Sebastien Foucan is that if you don't do the move in 3 seconds back away. This is the "no hesitation" rule and it is meant as a way for you to hone your skill of knowing when you are capable of something or not.  Like all rules, it is meant to be used judiciously :)

well its not a problem of me hesitating all i really do is look at it judge the distance of the precision and just do it. jumping high or any of that has never been a problem with me lol. Its the simple fact that when we at the gym i did this long as precision and instantly jumped off to the next obstacle he said "if you dont hold it for 3 seconds it doesnt count" thats why i asked lol. But thanks for your responses keep them coming
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
The only "rule" is that you should be honest with yourself if you have stuck the precision or not.  A successful precision to me means that all momentum has been killed, and you are free to move in whatever direction you want after.  If momentum is still carrying you in a certain direction, you didn't really stick it.

Awareness and honest evaluation will help you progress the most!
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
Corndogg that's kind of what I meant to say, I've been at jams where I did a precision and people gave me props and I said "No, I didn't really have it" - so it appeared that I landed and was settled and stuck it, but I knew I hadn't :)
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
this is the exact way i train for speed. the 180 is used so i can keep moving and not slow myself down

well its not a problem of me hesitating all i really do is look at it judge the distance of the precision and just do it. jumping high or any of that has never been a problem with me lol. Its the simple fact that when we at the gym i did this long as precision and instantly jumped off to the next obstacle he said "if you dont hold it for 3 seconds it doesnt count" thats why i asked lol. But thanks for your responses keep them coming

Count for what? Why does it matter to him if you can do it or not?
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »
this again where my differences in his style and my style clash.
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV

Offline Travis S

• Patas
  • das flow
    • View Profile
    • UMass Parkour
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Styles should never clash, they should nurture each other to grow better and more diverse. Being able to do a wide variety of things well is always a plus!

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »
Styles should never clash, they should nurture each other to grow better and more diverse. Being able to do a wide variety of things well is always a plus!

although that is true. everything has there yin and yang. he way of moving is totally different from mine in the since of parkour.
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV

Offline Chance B.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
although that is true. everything has there yin and yang. he way of moving is totally different from mine in the since of parkour.
I think the "clash" just gave a type of negative connotation, but I think I get the gist of what you mean now. The clashing is probably not a bad thing, just extreme diversity in your movements from his which is good, and like Travis said, would probably help you two to become more advanced/diverse movement wise.
Run free or die a captive.

OldDog

I like Bike-Skates

Offline Joshua Pagan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »

even though i think this is true, the move is just a precision,,, not going to be that much of a difference
If your afraid to fall, you fall because your afraid
- Daniel Illabaca

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »
as stated before, awareness and honesty are the only ways to judge your training. even the fastest traceur with the most skilled varied movements started with slow controlled movement.

they can move fast now because as soon as they land their momentum is centered and they are free to move in any direction needed, not following momentum but, controlling it... there is a difference, dont forget that.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »
I love fast movement on rails like handicap ramp rails. I will precision, spin back and forth and run along the top. This fast movement is what gave me the control that I needed to balance for just about any amount of time.

I think the fast style will progress you on a much wider range of skills and get you able to achieve the 3 sec rule or any other rule when ever you want. 
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

;D
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area