Author Topic: 3sec precision rule  (Read 9794 times)

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: 3sec precision rule
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 06:11:58 PM »
as stated before, awareness and honesty are the only ways to judge your training. even the fastest traceur with the most skilled varied movements started with slow controlled movement.

they can move fast now because as soon as they land their momentum is centered and they are free to move in any direction needed, not following momentum but, controlling it... there is a difference, dont forget that.

I swear you should write a book or something, everything you say is quotable! You amaze me.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

;D

I will agree with being slower first. When people hear slow though, I think they can have a tenancy to not use momentum.

Also I have found that the edge of control is the fastest way to grow. I still think you should do a majority of your training with allot of control but sometimes you will gain allot by pushing that envelope. It really helps you put your finger on proper utilization of momentum.

Proper use of momentum for me was one of the biggest keys to really getting good with this.   

Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
I love fast movement on rails like handicap ramp rails. I will precision, spin back and forth and run along the top. This fast movement is what gave me the control that I needed to balance for just about any amount of time.

I think the fast style will progress you on a much wider range of skills and get you able to achieve the 3 sec rule or any other rule when ever you want. 

this is the way i learned to control all my movements whether it be a vault or a precision

I will agree with being slower first. When people hear slow though, I think they can have a tenancy to not use momentum.

Also I have found that the edge of control is the fastest way to grow. I still think you should do a majority of your training with allot of control but sometimes you will gain allot by pushing that envelope. It really helps you put your finger on proper utilization of momentum.

Proper use of momentum for me was one of the biggest keys to really getting good with this.

i still think its just a huge difference in our style. lol was told today that i need to learn to kong low objects
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 07:57:47 PM »
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it. 8) 

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »
Yeah I've heard this, we do this at the gym if we want to to 'stick it' it's gotta be a 3 second hold. It's good for stabilization practice and such, as you want to be able to do that if necessary.

Interesting how Mark said he's done some where he would hold for 10 sec and still know he didn't have it...there definitely is something in your mind that goes off when you know you've stuck it, no matter how long you hold it I suppose ;)

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it. 8) 

this is sig worthy
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 10:48:59 PM »
That is worth serious consideration sir.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:22 AM »

i think learning to use momentum should be one of the LAST things a traceur learns. thats just me though....

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Travis S

• Patas
  • das flow
    • View Profile
    • UMass Parkour
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »
i think learning to use momentum should be one of the LAST things a traceur learns. thats just me though....

Well, by jumping or running you are controlling your momentum, and uncontrolled momentum is a dangerous thing. Why do you think this?

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »
I think that it really depends on what level of starting coordination the person has.

If the person is reasonably coordinated and athletic, light on their feet etc. I think they can learn much faster by using some momentum. If the person has never done athletic stuff and PK is their first real sport then a more measured approach is necessary.   

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
I think that it really depends on what level of starting coordination the person has.

If the person is reasonably coordinated and athletic, light on their feet etc. I think they can learn much faster by using some momentum. If the person has never done athletic stuff and PK is their first real sport then a more measured approach is necessary.   

damn you know me so well lol
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »

I consider the manipulation of momentum, eg conserving it, directing it, or killing it, to be one of the fundamentals of parkour, and I always recommend starting with the fundamentals. 
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 07:19:46 PM »
On a related note, I do try and go by the rule of 3's - if you can't do it 3 times you can't do it at all! 
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline _Nick_

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • whaaaarrrrgabl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 06:54:07 PM »
... the only rules in parkour are the Laws of Physics

and even then, they are negotiable and malleable :D

yeah this rule/method is a personal bitch of mine. i tend to tip.

also

Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it.

sig'd and QFT - i am terrible and konging, i can hurdle a picnic table (widthwise, but legthwise is a goal in the workings) and i believe since PK is about the efficiency of movement, then why the hell not just hurdle it if you can? my friend gives me crap for not even being able to kong a picnic table widthwise, but i say hurdle is faster and smoother.

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid"

- Ilabaca

Offline Nick Stone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Not Quite Evil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »

[/quote]
sig'd and QFT - i am terrible and konging, i can hurdle a picnic table (widthwise, but legthwise is a goal in the workings) and i believe since PK is about the efficiency of movement, then why the hell not just hurdle it if you can? my friend gives me crap for not even being able to kong a picnic table widthwise, but i say hurdle is faster and smoother.

Same here. I can't kong a picnic table very well (I can barely do it), but I can get over it much easier with the vault-I-forgot-the-name-of.

And speaking of not knowing the name of a vault, I kind of forget which vault is which. I just do whatever works, it shouldn't matter what it's called.
And you can quote me on that.

Offline _Nick_

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • whaaaarrrrgabl
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 05:24:32 AM »
oh the one where you swing legs to the sideish and put on hand down on the table.. speed i think? idk but yeah thats a staple move for me. do that over everyything

and agree, whatever works to get it done

- Ilabaca

Offline BaptizedByFire

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 08:01:06 AM »
oh the one where you swing legs to the sideish and put on hand down on the table.. speed i think? idk but yeah thats a staple move for me. do that over everyything

and agree, whatever works to get it done

So long as you're a beginner, getting over obstacles as efficiently as possible is your main concern. This is how we develop muscle memory, and build strength. Learn the flow and become strong enough to move your body, then worry about flash and flair. Personally, muscle is the hardest thing to develop, but i believe flow is most important overall.

Its like Bruce Lee said: "Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »

Can you hurdle it long ways?? if not Konging picnic tables short ways is a pretty valuable progression.

Offline _Nick_

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • whaaaarrrrgabl
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 06:53:53 AM »
almost. i can get one leg all the way over and the other swings behind me and to the side.. sometimes always catches on the end of the table. but yeah, working on the kong, but have the same problem, both feet catch as i bring them forward out of the dive... i think my problem is im touching the table too long with my hands. both are works in progress.

- Ilabaca

Offline Todd1

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Darkburg (Harrisburg Parkour)
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
i say hurdle is faster and smoother.

I agree it's faster, but I think overall a kong is more efficient.  Just having the extra power and control from the arms means less work for the legs.  Not to mention having that last second ability to adjust speed or direction that a vault offers and a hurdle does not.  Having said that, I still feel hurdles are an important skill to have as well.

Konging low stuff is stupid

I knida disagree.  In a practical sense, maybe so.  But I treat it like cat-balancing, ground kongs, and even flips.  Cat-balancing and low/ground kongs improve the coordinated use of all limbs, which improves other techniques that use legs and arms together (which is like everything in pk.)  So even though cat-balancing and ground kongs are not the fastest means of travel, they are invaluable training tools.  Flips, while not practical in the sense that you wouldn't do them while running for your life are practical in that they really help with spatial awareness, and your ability to recover and land well when you fall. 

Just my opinion though.
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."