Author Topic: Swollen elbows and painful wrists, also thumb pain  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
  • No Inhibitions, No Limits
    • View Profile
Swollen elbows and painful wrists, also thumb pain
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »

Date of Injury: Feb 21, 2010
Time of injury (0:00 to 23:59): Roughly... 12:45-1:30
Your DOB and age: Sep 30, 1990; 19
name (remember this is the internet, name is helpful but not mandatory):Mel Martinez
City, State:Miami, FL
# years practicing Parkour / Freerunning:0 years, 3 months, 2 weeks
Hours of training per week. (real, not what you'd like to do)Roughly 14-16
Other exercise / fitness experience: 3 years of Aikido, 4 years of marching band( to those who don't say this is physical, you've clearly never been in marching band)
Location where injury occurred:Left elbow (worst), Right elbow (2nd worst), Both wrists (about the same, very minor, if a bit tender), Right thumb (least painful)
Conditions of location (wet, dark, icy, etc): Bright, sunny [WTF]
What you were doing / trying to do when injury occurred?: Practicing my Kong Vaults
Where any other people involved?: My tutor/sponsor/whatever was nearby, but I am responsible for my injury.
Part of body  - description of injury, rating of severity 1-10.:Left elbow- maybe a 4-5 , very swollen, tender, can't straighten out my arm or bend it to a certain degree, ergo I can't drive. Right elbow- 3 same stats as left elbow to a lesser degree. Both wrists- 2, tender, but at least I can rotate and stretch them. Right thumb- 1, maybe 1/2? VERY minor, but still achey after several hours,so worth mentioning.
Did you see a doctor for diagnosis?: No, costs too much.
Did you get X-rays or MRI's?N/A
Picture of the injury:Nope can't figure out how to work my webcam. :-\
Could you / how could you have avoided the injury?: The injury occurred because I continued to practice while fatigued, I didn't allow myself a break. I could have avoided it by giving a break every 5 reps and stretching during each break.
Date / type / severity of your last injury?:Last injury? Uhh...can't recall. The last major injury was at age 14, I broke my leg, definitely a 9 or 10. I broke my leg in 3 places while snowboarding, needed screws.. OWWW!!
Notes on the experience?:If I learned one thing from this experience is to take FREQUENT breaks. My injury never would have occurred if I took a break and continued at the top of my game. If any new traceur out there reading this, do NOT underestimate the power of the 5-minute break. If anything good came out of this, it's that I have become even more determined to get it right. I will NOT be discouraged!!

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Swollen elbows and painful wrists, also thumb pain
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:04:33 PM »
Went to doctor< fractured both elbows. typing with one hand. have 2 casts. hurts.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »
Ouch. Sorry to hear that... take it easy and let it heal.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »
I had my casts removed. I'm on decalcification pills and pain killers. I need physical therapy for a month. Little painful, and I've got the armstrength and grip of a newborn, but at least I can type!

A bit worried. If my arms don't grow back right, won't be able to fully straighten out or rotate arms. working hard to keep moving at a slow pace. left arm can rotate but can't fully straighten out yet, almost though. Right arm can rotate a little, can't fully straighten out. If it doesn't heal right, I may need surgery. If that's what it takes to practice parkour again, so be it.

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
So, it's official! I'm fully cleared. After a month of therapy and medications, I'm finally cleared. God, it feels good to be climbing walls again!