Author Topic: Help with monkey vault  (Read 2246 times)

Nos0323

Help with monkey vault
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:49:59 AM »
sooo everyone knows me by now....i still cant get the darn monkey vault right...everytime i do it for whoever knows pk they saying its good but i know im doing something wrong...and now because of the time i almost ate it im too scared to try on a rail...even if its low...

so what can i do to fix it???

note to ryan-besides recording me??  -__-

turtlekarma

Re: Help with monkey vault
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 03:04:59 AM »
sooo everyone knows me by now....i still cant get the darn monkey vault right...everytime i do it for whoever knows pk they saying its good but i know im doing something wrong...and now because of the time i almost ate it im too scared to try on a rail...even if its low...

so what can i do to fix it???

note to ryan-besides recording me??  -__-

From what I've seen
work on flexibility, and vertical jump...your issue is tucking legs into chest, and you don't get them high enough. 
don't know exactly what you should stretch, maybe ask ozzi next time you see him.

Also don't do on rails if you're not comfortable, find a low wall and work your way up. 

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
try findin a park bench nd prac. gettin the feel of tucking ur legs in like that 1 kong drill ozzi did in his kong tutorial. then wen u feel comfortable move on to something else
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

Offline Travis S

• Patas
  • das flow
    • View Profile
    • UMass Parkour
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »
Get your hips higher, this is almost always the problem.

Nos0323

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:53:05 PM »
ok thanks guys

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:40:36 PM »
at first just try to get ontop of the object instead of over
like travis said. Higher hips.
Bring your knees to your chest and not the other way around.

vaulting low objects has never helped me "/
how do you guys do it >____<
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?

Nos0323

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:30:52 PM »
oooicic cause i think i keep lowering chest to legs... 

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
You know I can't remember the monkey... Oh yeah like kong but no dive. Wow I stopped using terminology for a while and forgot a lot >.>

Well way back when like a month ago or so when I saw you you had a lot of trouble with the arms to. I find that you need to use both your legs and arms. And you also didn't tuck your legs in enough (hence why your feet clipped the bar and I had to catch you -_-). Both of these combined. A not holding your self up enough and B not tucking in normally cause this. So I would say just try holding the rail and jumping up and tucking your legs in and getting your hips high enough and watch your feet's height. Not jumping over, just up. Once you feel confident that you can make it start pulling with your arms and going more forward with the jump. If you don't pull with your arms and keep the up then most likely you're going to fall half way through.

And then do it. Fear has to be overcome and we all do it differently. My way is a bit dangerous, I look away and then do it. I had to do this for a wallspin and a seven and a half foot gap jump between tables. BU of course then I don't see and I have to react a lot faster than before. So things could go a lot worse.

I have to agree with Sala, low objects scared me. I couldn't going a two foot thing until I was able to kong something three foot or more. All by preference though.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »
Sorry, Ji... If you're still needing help with your monkey, try this:

Break it down into little parts. When you're comfy with one part, then add a little. Play with it until you feel comfortable, then add the next thing. If you're getting tired or frustrated, move on to something else until you have a chance to rest.

Find something wide and solid, maybe just a little lower than your hips to start. [table, loading dock, wide wall, bed?].

Bend over. Put your hands on the object close to the edge to start with.
Arms straight, hands a little in front of shoulders. Keep your head up and forward.
Practice jumping your hips above shoulder level. Start with single jumps, then increase it to 2 or 3 in a row. 
Add tucking your legs [like Michael said]. Again, start with singles.

Now your goal is to land your feet on the object [like Sala said].
You'll want to start with your hands a little more forward.
Instead of a straight up and down jump, you want to jump a bit more forward.
So land either in a QM position, or if you've got the power, land on your feet in squat position.

Then add the approach. Start with a single step. Then try a couple steps. Then walking up. Gradually increase the distance and the speed as you feel comfortable. Play with different objects, different heights, different angles of approach.

When you're comfortable monkeying ONTO things from a run, it won't take long until you're monkeying OVER things. Take your time. Have fun. Enjoy the process and the newness. Train safe, train hard. I'm sure it won't be long...