Author Topic: Kihei, Wailea and beyond  (Read 5304 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Kihei, Wailea and beyond
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:07:46 PM »
South side of Maui is long and sprawled out - miles and miles long, but only one 'block' wide. Spots tend to be pretty small and basic, separated by construction sites, condos, residential, or natural areas full of kiawe trees [big sharp thorns].

Shops at Wailea - about the only thing in Wailea that isn't hotel property. It's upscale, so I would expect security to be a hassle, but the little I've done there hasn't been a problem. A lot of possibility, including big drops.

Wailea resorts - great if you're staying there. Otherwise, trespassing laws are stronger on hotel property than non-hotel property. If you are a guest, you can get away with quite a bit, as long as you make it look like part of a corporate scavenger hunt or something similar.

Kihei:
Azeka Makai - this mall has the best features for PK - outdoor, multi-floor, funky construction with rails, stairs and planters in front. The back side is bordered by private condos/ apartments and Star Market - the fences to Star are low, but parts are in bad shape. During the day people may be working back there - especially at the scuba place and the Vietnamese restaurant. Security is more active here than at any other mall I've been in. I've been warned away once. Don't bother going by the post office - busy and the concrete is crumbling/ in bad condition.

Azeka Mauka - Trash corrals by Stella Blues, some stuff by the Coffee Shop. Not much else. Back side borders Lipoa Center, and is in bad shape - loose concrete blocks, homeless.

Long's Plaza - Both front and back are pretty boring. Loading dock area has some possibilities.

Star Market - Lots of railing at the front. Fairly low fence to Azeka Makai. Parts are in bad shape. "Homeless nests" in the back.

Paradise Plaza - Atrium may have some possibilities. Low wall between plaza and Jack In The Box, also between plaza and Lipoa Center, but watch out for "homeless nests".

Lipoa Center - If awnings support weight plus force, this would be a great place to test out laches. Trash corral mauka side on Lipoa St is nice, but kinda high traffic.

Kihei Elementary & Lokelani Intermediate schools - Kapu. Looks like some possibilities, if you're under 13.
Haggai Institute - Kapu. Private property with security and video surveillance.

Pi'ikea Plaza - front side - some stairs, walls, a few rails. Security likes to hang out by Safeway [tan uniforms]. Private security in Safeway [blue jackets]. Back side has more obstacles, including chain link fence to soccer field/ residential area.

Kihei Community Center - Multiple levels, stairs, rails, ramps, walls, trees, tae kwon do, and swimming pools. I'm going to start doing a lot of runs and training here. Nice open gateway in back to apartment complex across from Pi'ikea.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Kihei, Wailea and beyond
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
These are OLD - like from 2 years ago... didn't get copied over from HIpk forums. Since then, the playground at Kalama has been rebuilt, but it's supposed to be for little kids. Austin from SFPK wasn't too impressed with Kalama/ Skate park, but I had fun there. Duke used to spend almost all his free time at Kalama.

Kihei Library - not really a hot spot, but there are a couple nice features. Plus, they have a lot of books, and a bathroom during library hours [but it's become filthy].

Kalama Park: Skate park [esp. freestyle area]. Some jerks burned down a lot of the playground equipment.

NOAA: They just finished constructing a new building. Their old building is funky wooden rails, stairs, picnic tables, etc. The new building has a great 3 level handicap ramp, great long lanai, stairs with a center rail, concrete wall in the back, with a slightly rounded top. And working, non-vandalized drinking fountains.

Charley Young to Cove: Beginning coasteering spot.
   At low tide with low surf, this is an excellent little run. There are lots of obstacles [mostly jagged rock]. It's very close to civilization, so if you get freaked out or hurt, it would be easy to crawl up to someone's lawn. Cove is a beginner surf spot, usually flat to 1', rarely gets 3' waves.
   Respect the spot - you could still get massively messed up if you did something stupid. I haven't tried this in high surf or high tide.
   At high tide, large parts of this are underwater. Jumping blind onto sharp lava is a bad idea. Proceed with caution.

Kalama Park: Skate park is a lot of fun. Even on the busiest day there are areas they don't use. There's a lot of stuff in the park to play on. They're laying a new concrete pad - maybe new playground coming soon?

Charley Young/ Kam 1: This was training ground for the Navy SEALS before they were the SEALS. Home owners in the area are upset with people going in their yards. Some trees have been cut down. Some great rocks for practicing climbing technique.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:22:02 AM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:47:38 PM »
Hit Kalama with Michael and Spencer... and had a lot of fun.

Sure - obstacles are spread out, but there's plenty there for beginning and intermediate traceurs.

The new playground has been built - there's a little kids part, and a big kids part. There's a lot of nice obstacles to play on/ around/ under, through... though a lot of openings are kid sized. Be careful of little kids who may be crouched behind a panel or running around playing.

Skate park - we had a little problem with a drunk and his friends last night. We ended up being performing monkeys, even though Spencer said we weren't. We didn't handle it the best, tho it could have gone a lot worse.

A couple things I was thinking about last night:
- We're visitors in the skate park. Be friendly and respectful, don't get in people's way.
- The problem isn't the skating skaters, it's the guys who are sitting around, bored, drunk, and/or high.
- Regular skaters are there to skate, tho they may sit around and watch, ask questions, ask to see what we can do.
- What we do is never enough. Even if David Belle did a double back flip from 30' and levitated in mid-air, he'd still get, "What else can you do? Show us something sick." The challenge is not totally a bad thing - except...
- They don't care if we get hurt. We're not one of their friends. So either become a friend, or stay safely within your limits.
- Our attitude will influence our use of the skate park in the future. Try make it easier for the next time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:50:13 AM by Gregg »

Offline Michael Porreca

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Billings Team Parkour
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
i have bunch of photo's i will be posting hopefully soon, they are just a few of my favorite places in kihei.
There is a chance you could kill yourself tripping on a rock on a sidewalk. There's a chance your heart could suddenly stop. There's even a chance that the atoms of the ground and your body could line up perfectly and you would fall through the ground into the earths mantle. - Jake Vigil APK

Offline Michael Porreca

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Billings Team Parkour
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
These are pics from all around the kihei area, if you have any questions about where they are send me a pm on this site or my email is mckmnstr@yahoo.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48326967@N08/?saved=1
There is a chance you could kill yourself tripping on a rock on a sidewalk. There's a chance your heart could suddenly stop. There's even a chance that the atoms of the ground and your body could line up perfectly and you would fall through the ground into the earths mantle. - Jake Vigil APK

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »
Do you mind if I post up some of them?

Offline Michael Porreca

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Billings Team Parkour
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:05:29 PM »
not at all, i wanted to work on writing out a documentary about the places but havent found the time with job training gf sleeping and making pppl happy so be my guest

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:56:59 AM »
Please write up the areas I don't have yet.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
Those are some cool pictures. I recognize that one spot where Austin tried that cat. Cant wait to try it.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi