Author Topic: Parkour Saved My Life Tonight  (Read 20807 times)

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Parkour Saved My Life Tonight
« on: February 12, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
Well, tonight I was ambushed by 4 teens about my age and size, who were trying to rob me as I walked to the metro alone from the gym.  They sort of circled me and I was trapped.

I punched one of them in the face (found out later I knocked out his front teeth, because one of them was jammed in my knuckle..removed by the doctor),

I tornado kicked another one and ran for it.  I was chased for a while until I came accross a few fences that I konged over (don't know how they got over them, but it opened a big gap between them and me).

I was dying of pain (had just worked out at a parkour session) and I came accross a sort of pipe drain that ran along the side of a building.  I knew I couldn't keep running (one of the four would catch me) so I scaled the wall as fast I could and reached the roof after maybe thirty seconds.  From there I called the police with my cell :)

I'm not even a good traceur, but this experience has given me new motivation to learn as much as I can and train consistently (I can basically only vault, wall run, and roll).

I got two stitches at the hospital, but otherwise I'm fine.  The guys were never caught, but I have my life, and that's what I'm thankfull for.  :)

WoodlandGhillie

Re: Parkour Saved My Life Tonight
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »
You've inspired me, good sir. You should probably start carrying a knife, for a just in case situation. I mean, it was metro...

Real great experience to share!!

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:36:58 PM »
Although I carry a knife all the time, you hafta remember cops dislike them, and you may be blamed for doing something even if it was out of self defense. By law (at least where I live) you are only allowed to use a "deadly weapon" as a last resort, and only when it means life and death for you or someone else. If the cops don't feel you expended all other options first, you, not your attacker/s, will be punished. Also, knowing blade length laws where you are is always a must, because where I live there isn't one, but if I go to Chicago fifty miles south, it's 3.5" or you'll get charged with carrying a deadly weapon and probably some premeditation BS

As for the story, that is pretty cool, you're really lucky, and I'm glad it didn't go to your head, I'm sure a lot of preople would think they're the best ever if this happened to them.
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:30:50 PM »
sweet story and glad your ok. Yea i carry a knife as well but will only use it if there are 3 or more people
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Nicholas Newcomb

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 05:20:09 AM »
OR you could carry a guardian angel pepper spray gun with you, mine has two shots, it shoots out at 90 miles an hour, goes 13 feet, goes into a big cloud, and is like getting hit with a baseball bat XD so if you want to avoid the knife laws in your area ( and pepper spray is legal ) I would go for that :) just sayin... btw dude great story man, your really lucky, and nice punch though
APK roof rights movement!

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:28:20 AM »
 :o
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

wlf

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 06:48:55 AM »
You've inspired me, good sir. You should probably start carrying a knife, for a just in case situation. I mean, it was metro...

Real great experience to share!!
...umm that wouldnt be a good idea, if he had drawn a knife they could have A. either escalated the situation by drawing there own . B.tried to get it away fro, him (and he possibly would have ended up in court for muderer) C. he could have gotten killed or hurt worse.
The easiest was out of any situation is ourselves being the weapon, he eascaped with out any weapon use we are the best weapon not a knife or a gun

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Well, tonight I was ambushed by 4 teens about my age and size, who were trying to rob me as I walked to the metro alone from the gym.  They sort of circled me and I was trapped.

I punched one of them in the face (found out later I knocked out his front teeth, because one of them was jammed in my knuckle..removed by the doctor),

I tornado kicked another one and ran for it.  I was chased for a while until I came accross a few fences that I konged over (don't know how they got over them, but it opened a big gap between them and me).

I was dying of pain (had just worked out at a parkour session) and I came accross a sort of pipe drain that ran along the side of a building.  I knew I couldn't keep running (one of the four would catch me) so I scaled the wall as fast I could and reached the roof after maybe thirty seconds.  From there I called the police with my cell :)

I'm not even a good traceur, but this experience has given me new motivation to learn as much as I can and train consistently (I can basically only vault, wall run, and roll).

I got two stitches at the hospital, but otherwise I'm fine.  The guys were never caught, but I have my life, and that's what I'm thankfull for.  :)

:o :o dude. thats crazy. thats such an amazing story! i really don't even know what to say right now lol, but props. 200% respect and props dude, that musta been scary as helll
In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:19:49 AM »
I don't think I'm comfortable carrying a weapon.. It would complicate too many things, because Canada has totally different viewpoints compared to the US regarding being armed. 

I honestly could say that I wasn't scared...  I actually didn't feel anything during the whole altercation..not even pain considering I had a piece of tooth loged in my hand.  It was almost like an animal instinct that I've never encountered before that.  I couldn't think and everything just seemed to go by so fast.

Offline dreamwalkr

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 08:42:57 AM »
hmmm i never walk without my blade.im glad you made it out mate and its things like this that make someone want to learn things like parkour.but one should never draw a knife unless you are POSTIVE you will have to use it.But WOW amasing escape also nice punch i mean really to come back with a tooth in your hand.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
Yeah weapons have tons of laws. You need to probably take a concealed weapons class just to know the laws even if it's not required in your state. Canada is completely different too.. If you use it and you are in the right it will still cost around $100,000 in lawyer fees.   

Did you get to keep the tooth?? that would be cool!

Really, a tornado kick that's completely ninja. :D

Did the cops find the kids?

Just watch for infection in your hand human bites are highly infectious like 90% compared to cats at 4% and dogs 2% infection rates. Since you went to the hospital they probably cleaned it out well.

Similar thing happened to me when I was like 16 and didn't go to the hospital and it got infected. I had to go in for two rounds of IV antibiotics and max strength oral regiment. They said that if that didn't work I would need surgery to clean it out and it could get amputated if that didn't work. That shit freaked me out. Fighting is not as glorious as people think huh??

Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »
Good to hear you made it out alright man. Do you do any martial arts?
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Austin Skyberg aka Ajax

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
Great story, great escape. That's amazing...I'm glad you got out alright.

That is what parkour is about, sometimes...getting away from danger in an emergency situation.

I, too, am glad to see it didn't go to your head. I know if I had done it, it would have gone to my head. Just make sure you don't underestimate yourself, that can be just as bad as thinking you're better than you are.
"Anything is possible, you just have to dream it up."

"Pain is nature's way of saying "Hey, stupid! Watch what you're doin', eh?" in a heavy New York accent"

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »
haha, no I didn't even want the tooth XD

The crazy part about the tornado kick is that I only tried it in training a few times before.  I wanted to protect my face as best I could, so I just went for it and I connected with his shoulder I think.  (hurt my foot like hell)

Cops never found them, but they said they would call me if anything came up.

Yeah the doctor flushed it out and everything.

I thought I was going to lose my hand too, because I couldn't feel it at all for almost an hour.

Yes you're right.  Fighting really sucks  :(
But it feels good that I was able to protect myself, especially against four guys considering i've never even hit anyone before this thing.

If nothing else, I've now set a goal to gain 15lbs.  I'm now working on a timeline and am going to train seriously

Offline Ryan Drake

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »
Good to hear you made it out alright man. Do you do any martial arts?

Honestly no I don't.  I watch movies (yeah lol) and then review and practice the moves.  I've never had formal courses, but once I move I plan to take some. 

wlf

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 09:38:32 AM »
Honestly no I don't.  I watch movies (yeah lol) and then review and practice the moves.  I've never had formal courses, but once I move I plan to take some. 
then you should check out a martial art called Krav maga, its a seriously brutal fighting style developed specifically for knife and gun defense as well as fighting, and once more you dont have to say "ki-ap" ever time you breath

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 10:18:34 AM »
The story in whole was amazing, but my jaw nearly dropped when you said you punched one guy and tornado kicked the other. That was an amazing picture in my head.  ;D

Glad to hear you got out alright though.

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 11:06:18 AM »
and once more you dont have to say "ki-ap" ever time you breath

i just lol'ed in real life... hahaha
In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 05:01:59 PM »
On the knife thing:

The laws in my state are 3 1/2 or 3 inches. Carrying a gun would be too heavy. (Ever picked up a 1911?) I always carry a knife in the city. Just for the one guy that wants to go fist-to-fist. I agree, you should never use it unless pinned, especially against kids.

Offline Chance B.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 06:36:20 PM »
Glad to hear that you got out of that situation man. Good inspiration for training.

Happy future training. (Don't have much to say. :))
Run free or die a captive.

OldDog

I like Bike-Skates