Author Topic: Side Flip?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
Side Flip?
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »
hey guys. can any1 help me out with my side flip? like any drills i can do or vids that helped u guys get ur side flipz? the only drill ive done is wen i do a cartwheel with my legs tucked to get the feeling of actually flipping nd knowing wen to open up. if some1 could help me out id rly appreciate it  ;D
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

Offline VegamanKS3

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • What's gravity?
    • View Profile
Re: Side Flip?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »
My suggetion would be for you to practice it on different types of surfaces e.g. into water at a pool, on a trampoline, a bounce house if you ever stumble upon one. If you know the basic steps of the move, then you may want to consider finding a gymnastics gym and practicing in that type of environment. Aside from that plausibly worthless and somewhat obvious response (forgive me if the tone of my words is some what A-holish, I'm just really analytical behind a keyboard or pencil) I could recommend one of my training methods for learning a new trick and this could be more so applied to your situation as I'm trying to learn I side flip as well. If you choose the gym option or find yourself practicing at the beach, I suggest just trying the move on straight ground until you've got it to the point that you feel you've got it but can't quite land it and (remember it helps to use a camera for reference just so you can speculate what you are doing wrong or right)then give yourself 1 of three things: (most recommended) Give yourself a height advantage, maybe run and flip off of something like a sand dune, or a pool, and if you're ballsy enough, then maybe a table at the park. (2nd recommendation) This really works with me, put some obstacle in your way intentionally (i.e. a cooler, a small trashcan, a huge pile of dung, a friend, a spike trap, a laser grid, a pit of dinosaurs, you get the idea) and if you have the materials put something like a mat on the other side, or just go bare ground for better motivation to land the trick and not screw up, and then use the incentive of flipping over the obstacle to give you extra height, because provided your reflexes are in order and your fear of the trick and the ambition are in balance (there is probably a better explanation), your body will compensate and give you a little more height, and you should repeat until pain. (3rd recommendation) Use a spring board technique, like the one demonstrated in my picture. All you need to do is find yourself something sturdy such as a picnic bench, and good solid ground or sand (the difference being if you screw up on solid ground [use grass preferably] it may hurt a little, and that sand offers you little traction, so you may face plant if you aren't really looking where you jump) and you follow through the trick as you normally would: a short run up and if you use the hop method, then you shuold hop onto the table then intiate the trick, and in theory you should do a complete revolution and finish a side flip, however the only problem would be landing... but just to solve that, you could roll out of the trick and avoid a painful bail. I hope this helps, and let me know if you want to meet up and train, I'm in mililani, and my number is 1-706-814-3434, call me any time after 11:55  on the weekdays.
Said a wanted man by the Laws of Physics...

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
thnx for the response man ^^
rite now ill prolly jst do the beach/sand thing like u said. im in aiea if u ever get in the area. im always up 2 train :3
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 04:17:53 AM »
i loled at pile of dung, was lmao at spike pit and was flat out rofling at laser grid x]

very nice tips. i shall use them as well
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?

Offline VegamanKS3

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • What's gravity?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:40:57 PM »
Glad I could help.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:32:59 AM »
... and you should repeat until pain. ...

Vega you totally remind me of my beginnings. I would dare to say you have learned most of your movement on you own, and it is awesome that you are eager to share it with others.  That is awesome and we like people like that around ;)

Gotta be careful with some words though, or the way you want to make your point across. "Until pain" may not necessarily the best way to show your point. Im sure you didnt actually mean,  "until you feel pain and cant go anymore" but..... I think You get my point.

Hope youre coming to the jam this sunday man, looking forward to training with you  8)
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline VegamanKS3

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • What's gravity?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »
You know it Ozzi!