Author Topic: How can i convince my parents to letme pratice parkour?  (Read 14185 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: How can i convince my parents to letme pratice parkour?
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2007, 05:30:03 PM »
Trespass law for my state [HI] is right on the internet. It's legalese, but I can figure it out.

I have full rights to be anywhere up to the high tide line [vegetation line], anywhere in the state. That gives me hundreds of miles of sand and rock to play on. More at low tide. [This law is probably unusual to Hawaii]

Open areas where I know I'm not licensed, invited, or privileged = simple trespass = violation.

2nd degree criminal trespass = petty misdemeanor = if area is enclosed or fenced. [Often - having signs posted at intervals and/or common entry points is considered enclosing it.] [Carrying a firearm makes this a misdemeanor.]

1st degree = misdemeanor = entering personal dwellings, being in or on hotel or apartment buildings premises. [This includes hotel property [which can be huge] not just the actual building. The amendment is mostly an anti-prostitution measure.]

School property is now also 1st degree. They have to warn you or ask you to leave between 5 am - 10 pm. After that, no warning's needed.

Offline deltron3030

• Patas
  • l2p
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 09:52:11 PM »
i pk at my school. ???

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 10:18:03 AM »
I don't think noobies should tell you parent right away find a quiet place (like a park and train there). After a while slowly start to training around your parents soon they will ask what your doing then explain. They'll let you do it as long as you don't do big stuff. Start small then expand to bigger stuff so you parent will get into it. For jams have your parents attend or go to a gym jam...Godd luck! ;D
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Moa

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 06:27:56 PM »
I agree with white ninja no matter what your parents will worry and always offer resistence that cant be changed. Your parents most likley will let you do parkour just because it is something you want to do and it will keep you in great shape so you will just have to zone out your parents they dont mean anything really they are just worried. If they annoy you like my dad does he thinks everything i do it parkour relate even though it kinda is but it is still annoying when parents think they got it all figured out when they haven't even scratched the surface.

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 07:34:43 PM »
Not the best approach, no.

I agree with white ninja no matter what your parents will worry and always offer resistence that cant be changed.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Moa

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 12:28:12 PM »
Not the best approach, no.

I agree with white ninja no matter what your parents will worry and always offer resistence that cant be changed.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
You shouldn't post uhhhhhhhhhhhh... if you have something to actually say spit it out.

Honestly it cant be changed white ninja parents will always worry so it really is probably the best aproach. If you try and explain the whole parkour philosophie they will probably say that you are crazy or something, they wont change even if you explain because the philosophie wont keep you safe and that is what they care about. Thats reality. Telling them about philosophie will convince them you aren't out destroying public property but they generally worry about safety which cant be changed.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 12:30:55 PM by Moa »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 03:53:34 PM »
Safety can always be changed. You choose where you go. You choose how far or high you vault. You choose the materials you land on. You choose the amount of training you have. You choose your level of conditioning.

Talk with your parents. Find a level your parents are comfortable with. It will be FAR below what you can do. Show them respect and that they can trust you. Use this time to build up your basic techniques, your stamina, conditioning, balance. Practice QM on the ground - you can't fall very far :) It's a great time to work on general creativity. Use the limitations to make yourself stronger.

Offline Streetviper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »
Ok The best approach is not keeping it secret, how do you expect to get anywere like jams and such without loseing you parents trust. take a look  a teenager goinging into a city on th eweekends and your parents don't know why. you aren't doing anything if you are training properly but you will have made your parents one of two things suspicious or if they find out mad. not to mention the repercutions of losesing trust. it takes forever and a day to get it back.
   so the best way is as btay said let your parents in on it. be open with them. If you show your parents you have nothing to hide then they will be more open to the idea. kind of like you trust them so they trust you kinda'. I have acctually invited my dad to come be a photographer for a jam and he was pretty open to the idea. i haven't had a proiblem wit hit since.  ;D RESPECT EVERYONE AND EVERY THING AND LET YOUR PARENTS KNOW THIS! calling the cops stupid pigs who hastled you for climbing is not a good approach. saying you learned how cops will be nier to kids with respect is a good approach.
With out passion , effort is meaningless.