Author Topic: Practice for my Cross Country trip  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Practice for my Cross Country trip
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »
Got a couple ideas - will PM you.

turtlekarma

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:50 AM »
I've been rethinking my research methods...ethics...or whatever you want to call it.  After reading a Tengan http://www.anthropology.hawaii.edu/People/Faculty/Tengan/pdfs/tengan_2005.pdf article for about the 4th time in my academic career, I've started to understand the implications of his views of including the people/phenomena you research in the research design, application, and eventual presentation...rather then just have everything from a researchers perspective.   

So dealing with involving you guys in my research design, I did post before asking you guys and gals what kinds of questions you wanted to have answered...no one really responded.  Well I've started doing interviews and I find myself wondering if I'm getting info that would be relevant to you guys about individual traceurs/ses backgrounds...excluding pk...that comes next.  These are the area's that I'm focusing on when I'm interviewing people.
1. History of Movement and perception of these experiences
2. Social Groups drawn to from childhood until now, and why
3. Occupational History
4. Familial Relationships
5. Geographic Location where have been, why
6. Spiritual/Religious Beliefs
7. Basic Demographics
8. Personal Development (personality)
9. Non-movement activities Drawn too

I've been recently thinking that getting a snapshot of romantic relationships and how people I'm interviewing approach them might be interesting to look at...do you guys think that kind of info is relevant at all?  Also, how would you guys feel about me interviewing your parents of a close friend who has watched you develop with and without PK and might provide a second opinion to flesh out further details? 

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »
I understand he was writing for anthropologists, an academic society. I'm struggling to translate the article to English. When I finish, I'll comment on it.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »
Is anthropology "racist and colonial"? Not in theory - it's the study of people, especially their culture.
In practice, a lot of walls get put up between people.

Tengan said he wanted to give power to the people by involving them in the entire process. He did in the early stages. He showed his rough drafts, and asked for feedback. He asked, "What outcomes and final products do you want to come from this?" But he didn't do those things. He just finished his dissertation.

In any culture you're going to run into conflicts. There have been conflicts in HIpk Maui. HIpk Oahu is bigger, and more active, so more conflicts. Then you've got the US scene, the UK scene, the French scene [20+ years of history there]  ;D

The stories [and community] come from conflicts and how they were resolved [if they have been]. These range from personal [overcoming vertigo, fear, injuries], interpersonal [Ji and her mom], ideas [parkour "efficiency" vs freerunning "expression", competition], and so on...

There's probably enough at HIpk to keep you busy for years, if you wanted.

Don't bother being the "Trickster" or the observer. Involve yourself in the entire process, too. If you want honesty, give honesty. If you want respect, give it. Want openness? Be open.

Who are you? What are some of your stories?

turtlekarma

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 08:10:26 PM »
Is anthropology "racist and colonial"? Not in theory - it's the study of people, especially their culture.
In practice, a lot of walls get put up between people.

Tengan said he wanted to give power to the people by involving them in the entire process. He did in the early stages. He showed his rough drafts, and asked for feedback. He asked, "What outcomes and final products do you want to come from this?" But he didn't do those things. He just finished his dissertation.

In any culture you're going to run into conflicts. There have been conflicts in HIpk Maui. HIpk Oahu is bigger, and more active, so more conflicts. Then you've got the US scene, the UK scene, the French scene [20+ years of history there]  ;D

The stories [and community] come from conflicts and how they were resolved [if they have been]. These range from personal [overcoming vertigo, fear, injuries], interpersonal [Ji and her mom], ideas [parkour "efficiency" vs freerunning "expression", competition], and so on...

There's probably enough at HIpk to keep you busy for years, if you wanted.

Don't bother being the "Trickster" or the observer. Involve yourself in the entire process, too. If you want honesty, give honesty. If you want respect, give it. Want openness? Be open.

Who are you? What are some of your stories?

yeah historically Anthro has been a power for racism and justifications for negatives of colonialism...taking power, natural resources, and a general sense of self identity away from the people they study.  Hence IRB's...and a general sense of mistrust from indigenous people who've been wronged in the past by the school. 

Tengan is an example of how good intentions aren't enough...the process of research should be inclusive and the main beneficiaries should be the people studied..that's the message that I got from the piece.

OKAY....LOVE FEEDBACK ON STORIES PART...I had to use caps because that's the kind of stuff I've been wracking my brain on how to put into my research.

as for my own stories and who I am, I'm struggling with that concept of how I fit in as a researcher and part of the population that I'm researching...I want to include myself in the picture, but at the same time my job is to not change the dynamics of the environment, so as to get as realistic picture as possible. But then again I could argue, just by the fact that I'm doing the research and that I'm actually apart of the community that these are things that I are important to include for consideration into community dynamics.  blah idk, still thinking and thinking and thinking about it.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »
That's the problem. You're thinking "researcher/ subjects" where the researcher comes in as a stranger, asks all the questions, then leaves with a bunch of answers and writes up his conclusions in a dissertation.

I'm suggesting you turn it sideways. Come in as a relative, sit down with the family, and talk story. Share a couple sentences as an example of what you're looking for. "This is me. Who are you?" Then listen and ask questions. "Here's a short story of HIpk. What are your stories?"

You tell your hiking Nu'uanu story. I tell you my hiking Kanaio story. We laugh at how stupid we were, and the whole group learns from the process. Hopefully.

"Did you pray when you were writing your dissertation?" That's one thing that was wrong with Tengan. He went to Hale Mua, but I get the feeling that he mostly stayed in observer mode. I'm sure he sparred, and probably participated in ritual. He didn't take the lessons to heart, tho. He watched "Punia" but didn't get to know him until after he'd offended him.

So instead of interviewing me, let's share stories, in this thread or in Talk Story. No worries. I'll be right back...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »
Huge text wall, really belongs in Talk Story, so I'll put it there.

Offline Buts1995

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 06:11:50 AM »
It all depends on the subject of your dissertation. There are 2 main blocks - theoretical and practical. For theory, you can take various publications of researchers and scientists in the Google Academy, if the electronic version, and textbooks. It is good in this case to use https://phdify.com/ to search for trust services in the help of writing scientific papers because the design is also very important. If we talk about the practical part - here is the will of your desire and imagination, I would advise polls, observations, and experiments