Author Topic: DB's Fitness Journal  (Read 941 times)

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
  • No Inhibitions, No Limits
    • View Profile
DB's Fitness Journal
« on: February 04, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
So I've decided to start a fitness journal to track my progress in the study and practice of Parkour.

To be honest, I'm not all that fit. I'm hoping that this lifestyle will whip me into shape in a fun, creative way. To that end, i have compiled some basic information as well as long term goals.

DB:
6'0"
189 lbs
Roughly 15% body fat (not sure on the exact number)
Definitely a level one athlete

Long term goals:

() Lose 10 pounds of fat by April 15th
() Gain 10 pounds of muscle by April 15th
() Be able to run 2 miles without stopping by May 1st
() Conquer my phobia of heights with a 10 ft jump by the end of the year (I know this may be a bit extreme, and in truth, I don't expect to make this one, but I was always taught to dream big)

I've decided that in times where I have nothing to do, I will work out and practice Parkour. Never for more than 1 hour if I've been practicing a lot. I don't want to overwork myself.

I don't know how to alter my diet to supplement this. I eat fruits and veggies as much as possible already, but I admit my diet is a poor one. I think lowering my sugar consumption is the first step, to that end, I'm cutting soda out of my diet (with exception of my cheat days, which is either saturday or sunday). Any other tips?

Note: I've decided to also include my thoughts and feelings in my daily journal. I'm a firm believer that mental health is just as important, if not more important, than physical health.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:12:16 PM by Mel Martinez »

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: DB's Fitness Journal
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »
Today I took my first steps towards learning the art of Parkour.

Today's SMART goals were:
Do one set of push-ups up and down the set of bleachers (I call them spider presses).
Do 10 pullups
Do 10 situps
Practice 40 rolls
Practice 10 mild jumps into a roll (roughly waist height)

I accomplished every last goal. Some I went above and beyond my goal.

I performed 40 situps as opposed to 10. I struggled with the pullups though. I also managed to blunder my way into the correct technique for a roll as shown by Ozzy's tutorial. It took me a bit to grow a pair and do the jump rolls, but I did so without pain.

All in all, I think it was a pretty productive day. I noticed I have very little endurance though,. After the first few sets of any exercise I was huffing and puffing. Any tips on increasing it?

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »
I don't know how to alter my diet to supplement this. I eat fruits and veggies as much as possible already, but I admit my diet is a poor one. I think lowering my sugar consumption is the first step, to that end, I'm cutting soda out of my diet (with exception of my cheat days, which is either saturday or sunday). Any other tips?

Check out this article if you haven't already. Poke around a bit on that site, and read some of the stuff posted on the General Fitness boards here. There's a lot of good information available! Good luck training. :)
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »
Training Day 2

Today's SMART goals were:
Do one set of spider presses
Do 50sit-ups
Practice 30 rolls
Practice 20 jumps into a roll
Do 5 flows (I added this one during the training session on a whim)

I accomplished every last goal. I realized that there's really not much of an object I can use to do pull-ups, unfortunately. the only objects I can identify are either out of my reach or extremely steep. I'm not strong enough to use uneven surfaces yet. I could ball up and use the playground, maybe a floor grate or something. Any suggestions?

Today, I gained significant insight. Call it my "initiation" to Free Running, if you will. I was doing my flows (I'm not sure if it counts as a flow, if not, I'll call it a combo. I leaped up the bleachers in 2 jumps, ran and jumped into a roll) when I realized I was very tired. Still, I pushed myself into my third flow, and as I landed, I heard for the first time the words "What are you nuts? You're gonna die!". As I stayed there, crouched, I smiled and looked at the group of middle schoolers snickering at me. I looked at them, and I realized that they didn't matter. What mattered was that I loved what I was doing, and I would continue loving it regardless of what the people around me thought. As I set myself up for my next jump, all I could think of was "Yeah, I'll probably die, but I'll do it the fun way. I'm a free runner."

I'm beginning to wonder if everyone else feels like that. It felt so good, that I can't wait for training tommorow.

Also, I've begun to take daily supplements, comprising of one daily multivitamin, and 2 daily fish-oil gels. I've noticed that my performance increased significantly since yesterday. I've also noticed that I very much dislike being inactive. I feel the need to move a lot! today, while grocery shopping, I must have thought of at least 40 ways to use the environment around me to move or jump on. when staying still, I was bouncing on the balls of my feet. Is this normal?